Penn State Game Time Announced

This one I agree with, we should take sunshine and let Penn State sit in shade. This and home fans can give Penn State crap all game.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

We should take it a step further and put up some big ass banners way up high to block what little sun would hit that bench. Fly the Nebraska Champinship Wekk Banner. Fly the Illinois Championship Week Banner. The Maryland Champinship Week Banner. Have Big sun blocking flags flying of all the Big Ten teams, but not Penn State, Nebraska, Maryland or Rutgers. Maybe Chicago would be all right. Maybe a big billboard sponsored by a Stop Child Abuse group.

If the LSU Bama game is on CBS and we're on ABC doesn't that mean we'll get gameday? Don't they try to do it for games that ESPN/ABC covers?

You'd think that simple, non-stupid ideas like this would be correct.

You'd think

Gopher Basketball plays Oklahoma in South Dakota at night, so they likely don't want games at the same time.

They didn't announce the start time for the basketball game until after they announced the football game would not be at night. They were holding both 3:30 and 7:00 as options for the basketball game.

Speaking of which, with an 11 AM kick, it's theoretically possible to go to the FB game and make it to Sioux Falls by 7:00. But...don't think I'll try it.

I, for one, was hoping for an 11:00 start.

There's a play that my friend's daughter is in, and my schedule only allows me to see the November 9th show.

If the LSU Bama game is on CBS and we're on ABC doesn't that mean we'll get gameday? Don't they try to do it for games that ESPN/ABC covers?

Not necessarily. They sometimes go the the CBS game. The SEC is king after all. I'd say it's 70/30 they will to go Alabama/LSU.

They didn't announce the start time for the basketball game until after they announced the football game would not be at night.

I don't think this is correct.

Game time for the basketball game was announced on October 16: https://www.sanfordpentagon.com/news_article/show/1016728

Article referencing U official stating in radio interview that U has "declined to have those be night games" is printed on October 19: https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/19/gophers-star-linebacker-kamal-martin-injured-versus-rutgers/

Speaking of which, with an 11 AM kick, it's theoretically possible to go to the FB game and make it to Sioux Falls by 7:00. But...don't think I'll try it.

If you want to see the entirety of both games? Yeah, maybe if you have a helicopter or private plane. Under perfect conditions, it's ~4 hours to get from the U campus to Sioux Falls. You're not on the road and out of traffic by 3 pm if you stay until the clock reads 0:00. Not to mention, you actually have to park and walk from your car to the arena once you get to Sioux Falls.

There's a post on the PSU forum site which claims that MN approached PSU about a night game and they declined. Supposedly a B1G rule that both teams need to agree on late-season night games. Obviously can't speak to how accurate that is, but wonder if GameDay was on the table here.

The Russians did the same thing in 1980 when team USA requested a later start. And we know how that turned out.

I don't think this is correct.

Game time for the basketball game was announced on October 16: https://www.sanfordpentagon.com/news_article/show/1016728

Article referencing U official stating in radio interview that U has "declined to have those be night games" is printed on October 19: https://www.twincities.com/2019/10/19/gophers-star-linebacker-kamal-martin-injured-versus-rutgers/

If you want to see the entirety of both games? Yeah, maybe if you have a helicopter or private plane. Under perfect conditions, it's ~4 hours to get from the U campus to Sioux Falls. You're not on the road and out of traffic by 3 pm if you stay until the clock reads 0:00. Not to mention, you actually have to park and walk from your car to the arena once you get to Sioux Falls.

The only reason they were holding off on announcing the time of the basketball game was to avoid scheduling it directly against the football game. Your timing may be correct on the official announcements, but clearly they were in communication/coordination with the U.

You can do it in about 3:45 if you push it. But yes, with the time it would take to get out of traffic odds probably aren't in your favor.

With an 11 am game time, talk of shade seems silly. Full sun (or partly?) on both sides by my reckoning.

Does the sun really hit the south sideline in mid November? The sun is getting pretty low in the sky. I've usually sat on the north side and have been grateful on cold days when we were in the sun while the south side looked shady.

With an 11 am game time, talk of shade seems silly. Full sun (or partly?) on both sides by my reckoning.

Here is a picture of last year's NW-Minn game I went to. It was an 11 am kick off. Gopher bench was in the shade the whole time

IMG_7298.jpg

That our game is at 11:00 AM means nothing as far as Gameday coming or not coming nor does it matter that this game is on ABC. Gameday goes where the big story is and barring that where there's a great atmosphere and/or a great location. I can't see them passing on #1 vs. #2 in the regular season for only the 25th time ever in 84 seasons of the polls and all the weekly polls those years encompass. I'd be glad to be wrong though. If we can get to the Wisconsin game with one loss at the most, I think we're in a good spot for Gameday then since none of the other rivalry week games look like a sure thing.

As for the early kickoff, we haven't had one until now and it makes sense for our game to not go against LSU at Alabama. Had the U of M not put the squash on night games, we'd likely have had the prime time ABC slot. The Wisconsin game is likely to get a late afternoon start since it is rare for a key Big Ten game to run against Ohio State vs. Michigan.

I always prefer 2:30 or night kickoffs but I get it this is a more desirable spot for TV viewership and exposure.

It will be the first bloody mary and breakfast burrito menu of the season for the tailgate. I can adapt/survive.

can i come?

Alabama is at Auburn for the Iron Bowl on Nov 30. Probably #1 or top 4 vs a top 15.

And Michigan Ohio State of course, at 11am and already selected by FOX.

Alabama is at Auburn for the Iron Bowl on Nov 30. Probably #1 or top 4 vs a top 15.

And Michigan Ohio State of course, at 11am and already selected by FOX.

Auburn already has 2 losses overall, both in the SEC, and plays Georgia albeit at home. I think they could be a 3 loss team by the Iron Bowl and in any case won't have a chance at winning the SEC West.

That our game is at 11:00 AM means nothing as far as Gameday coming or not coming nor does it matter that this game is on ABC. Gameday goes where the big story is and barring that where there's a great atmosphere and/or a great location. I can't see them passing on #1 vs. #2 in the regular season for only the 25th time ever in 84 seasons of the polls and all the weekly polls those years encompass. I'd be glad to be wrong though. If we can get to the Wisconsin game with one loss at the most, I think we're in a good spot for Gameday then since none of the other rivalry week games look like a sure thing.

As for the early kickoff, we haven't had one until now and it makes sense for our game to not go against LSU at Alabama. Had the U of M not put the squash on night games, we'd likely have had the prime time ABC slot. The Wisconsin game is likely to get a late afternoon start since it is rare for a key Big Ten game to run against Ohio State vs. Michigan.

There has been at least one instance in the past (sometime in the 90s) when they split Gameday between Penn State and UNC. That wouldn’t be out of the question, especially when you consider the storyline that this is the first week in AP Poll history where there are two matchups of 8-0 (or better). They might want to run with that narrative.

Auburn already has 2 losses overall, both in the SEC, and plays Georgia albeit at home. I think they could be a 3 loss team by the Iron Bowl and in any case won't have a chance at winning the SEC West.

Works for me.

Just saying, as far as Nov 30 goes, Bama Auburn and Ohio State Michigan are the only two games that look, right now on paper, as the competition.

Wisconsin will have at least two losses. In probability, we may have two losses or one loss at least.

Just think it's now or never, for this season. If we don't get it, fine. Always next season.

I've heard multiple times that it is a thing now. Used to be no night games in November. Now they can have them but both teams have to be okay with it. Could be wrong, just what I've seen and heard.

How would there ever be any November night games? Wouldn't the road team pretty much always say no?

That's what I would have thought....since ABC is an ESPN affiliate. However....mnsportsgeek pointed out in a thread last week that Gameday has been to the Alabama/LSU game like 7 or 8 of the past 10 years....and it's always been on CBS....since they have first pick of SEC games. Now that doesn't take into consideration what other games were on that week. Obviously another undefeated vs. undefeated matchup....that happens to have been chosen for the prime viewing position on their own telecast may cause ESPN to buck that trend....especially with Fleck's 3+ minute Gameday case during his postgame press conference. He made several excellent points as to why Gameday should be here. I think they would have a much better excuse for skipping out on Tuscaloosa than Dinky Town, imo. Especially if that opportunity comes and goes....and another one doesn't come around for a while. Or....they make it one of their main goals to get here because they choose to go to Alabama for the umpteenth time on the 9th and end up coming for a far less desirable matchup that they shoehorn into their schedule.

1. The Gophers will be up 30 in the 4th quarter so he could slip out early and get on the road by 2:30.
2. Have the car preloaded with snacks, drinks etc.
3. Bring several bottles so he can take care of business in the car without having to stop.
4. Then he just needs to go with someone that is willing to drop him off at the front door in Sioux Falls.

Easy peasy

They do have the right to change sidelines, and after the Nebraska game they made an announcement that on the jumbotron that the Gophers reserve the right to switch sidelines for games in November. It was after they finished celebrating on the field before they played Hail Minnesota.

Per Source, Matt Sarzyniak, Minnesota had the option to have Penn State at night and declined due to potential temperatures. The last 5 years, low temperatures on 11/9 have been 15°, 12°, 36°, 41°, and 31°.

Per Source, Matt Sarzyniak, Minnesota had the option to have Penn State at night and declined due to potential temperatures. The last 5 years, low temperatures on 11/9 have been 15°, 12°, 36°, 41°, and 31°.

I think he's just re-stating what Minnesota came out with publicly, that they have decided not to do any night games this season.

Do not agree that he's confirming the rumor that Minnesota and ESPN came to Penn State *after* that fact to see if they'd go for a night game, with GameDay as the carrot.

Sounds like a PSU fantasy.

That tells the story. The U of MN doesn't think that fans will show up for a night game if the weather is not favorable.

That is what the U of MN thinks about its own fan base.

Top Bottom