Penn State, Classiest team in the Big 10

awag777

Second Row of Williams Arena
Reaction score
I was astounded, and yet enormously pleased to see Penn State leave the field immediately after the game. Almost every other team in the land would have grabbed the Victory Bell and trounced around the field. Not Joe Pa's Nittany Lions. They acted like they'd won before, and left the field without incident. I admire Joe Pa for realizing how much the Gophs and their fans had suffered at home already and ordering his kids to save it for the locker room.

Big ups to PSU. They treated us well last year when we traveled to Happy Valley, and their football team continued it today.

Their fans are also very, very pleasant folks. I continue to be impressed with Penn State and their fans.

Live on the east coast for a while and you will learn not to love their fans so much. There are plenty of nice ones out there though - and I think they are quite different when they know they're not a great team either.

I was astounded, and yet enormously pleased to see Penn State leave the field immediately after the game. Almost every other team in the land would have grabbed the Victory Bell and trounced around the field. Not Joe Pa's Nittany Lions. They acted like they'd won before, and left the field without incident. I admire Joe Pa for realizing how much the Gophs and their fans had suffered at home already and ordering his kids to save it for the locker room.

Big ups to PSU. They treated us well last year when we traveled to Happy Valley, and their football team continued it today.

Are you kidding me? I have nothing against their fans, but you are saying that PSU's team not celebrating the victory of whatever rivalry trophy that game was as the team being classy and not showing up the gophers in a tough year? Have you ever thought that beating a 1-7 Gopher team in a meaningless rivalry just isn't really worth celebrating?

Have you ever thought that beating a 1-7 Gopher team in a meaningless rivalry just isn't really worth celebrating?

Yeah, that's his point. They recognized that it wasn't worth celebrating, and they didn't celebrate. Simple as that. They could have been ass#oles and made some sort of deal out of it, but they have class.

Fans seemed classy

I noticed that the Penn St. fans applauded everything that was posted on the big board. If you have been to the stadium there are lots of things during a game. They showed a ton of respect to all that was announced during the game. I say this because I've never noticed the other teams fans doing this near as much.

For programs that have enjoyed tons of success over the years, PSU's fanbase is right at the top. Far less arrogant than the Notre Dame, OSU, USC and Nebraska fans, that's for sure.

I honestly don't think the Victory Bell means very much to either team, or their fans. I'm sure it was just any other game to PSU, so they just did what they normally would do after a win.

For programs that have enjoyed tons of success over the years, PSU's fanbase is right at the top. Far less arrogant than the Notre Dame, OSU, USC and Nebraska fans, that's for sure.

Nebraska fans? They are widely considered to be the best and most knowledgeable in the country. You might be in a world of your own on that one.

I was quite impresssed when several PSU fans near me stood and applauded the Gopher wrestler (Ness?) and track athlete who were introduced. ...A lot of our own fans didn't do this.

That reminds me of when I watched the OSU game a few years back, where their fans stood up when the band played 'Hail Minnesota'.

Fans are fans, but they're also people.

As for Penn St, I agree -- the game had little meaning. No need to hoist a trophy they've had for years.

Of all the Big 10 road trips I've taken, the Penn State experience is at the top. Some fans went out of their way to welcome my wife & I and ask us how we are doing and if we need any help. That's never happened on other trips... Would that ever happen at Minnesota to a visiting fan?

Are you kidding me? I have nothing against their fans, but you are saying that PSU's team not celebrating the victory of whatever rivalry trophy that game was as the team being classy and not showing up the gophers in a tough year? Have you ever thought that beating a 1-7 Gopher team in a meaningless rivalry just isn't really worth celebrating?

1-5 didn't stop Wisconsin from acting like complete *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#bags...

Many times a team's personality and class matches the guy at the top. Lets see, Paterno or Bielema? Who do you think has more class?

Nebraska fans? They are widely considered to be the best and most knowledgeable in the country. You might be in a world of your own on that one.

Disagree. They are certainly knowledgeable. I've always felt they arrogance level is pretty high, though. A personal example - and I realize its one person ... I went to school in the 90's with a big Husker fan from Omaha. She was a huge women's studies left wing liberal type. When they had more than one player in trouble with the law and particularly in cases involving women, she went out of her way to make excuse after excuse for them. Huskers can do no wrong. Husker fans have always struck me as very Packer-like.

Disagree. They are certainly knowledgeable. I've always felt they arrogance level is pretty high, though. A personal example - and I realize its one person ... I went to school in the 90's with a big Husker fan from Omaha. She was a huge women's studies left wing liberal type. When they had more than one player in trouble with the law and particularly in cases involving women, she went out of her way to make excuse after excuse for them. Huskers can do no wrong. Husker fans have always struck me as very Packer-like.

That was a woman. They don't count. ;)

Very classy - and it all starts at the top w/ the ever classy JoePa, which is why he is one of my favorite coaches ever

Having lived in NE for 5 years and attending many games in Lincoln and watching far too many with their fans in bars etc...Husker fans do have an air of do no wrong...that said, they are decent fans and don't degrade their opponents (unless its Tx).

I look forward to NE joining the Big Ten.

PSU and their fans have always been cordial to me when I attended games at happy valley and visited state college...including in the bars after the games...where I always wear my gopher atire...best night was after our victory in happy valley a few years ago...they were great.

The PSU Team and Program is a reflection of the Icon that has been at the helm of the football program for decades, Joe Paterno. Just a great classy example for the Conference and the FBS up and down the chart. I think Minnesota has a rather classy set of fans also but frustration caused some to get out of charcter of late with the booing. I would asume that none of same was directed at players though. Overall, I like fans that cheer their respective teams regardless where they are, home or away, with no intention to mock or demean the opponent or their fans.

The PSU Team and Program is a reflection of the Icon that has been at the helm of the football program for decades, Joe Paterno. Just a great classy example for the Conference and the FBS up and down the chart. I think Minnesota has a rather classy set of fans also but frustration caused some to get out of charcter of late with the booing. I would asume that none of same was directed at players though. Overall, I like fans that cheer their respective teams regardless where they are, home or away, with no intention to mock or demean the opponent or their fans.

And we wonder why we don't have any intimidating venues, the hockey board would disagree with you greatly. Being a Chicagoan I believe that Rowdy fans make good fans, and if a product is inferior, they should hear it. Period. there's nothing wrong with ragging on other teams fans as long as it doesn't get to fights.

Top Bottom