Penn State beats the Hawkeyes

Reaction score
I am actually not surprised about this upset. I saw the schedule that Penn St. had and they had the same if not more games that were within 6 points this season like the Gophers in which they lost. They only lost by 3 to Maryland, lost by 4 to Iowa, lost by 4 to Rutgers, lost by 3 to Indiana at assembly hall and that was a controversial loss as the last second shot was waved off that was a made tied 3. I said this before the Gophers had to play them on Sunday. People were saying that was a terrible loss on Senior day, yes it was disappointing on Senior day, but this is a good Penn St. team and they can beat Purdue and possibly knock them out of consideration for the NCAA Tournament. Go Nittany Lions!

Biggest croc of the year is DJ Newbill not being named 1st team to either coaches or media All-B1G. Dude is a stud.

Biggest croc of the year is DJ Newbill not being named 1st team to either coaches or media All-B1G. Dude is a stud.

I thought the same thing...just happens when you're not on a good team, I guess.

It was great see the FranCon on like a 2/3 again :)

Fran-O-Meter.jpg

Totally agreed.
That was the only thing about our loss that made that loss a bit less painful - Newbill is amazing and I love seeing him succeed - against other teams.
Missed FranCon...

The irony is that Newbill was Creaned by Buzz Williams when he was still at Marquette under terrible circumstances. His scholarship was given to Jamil Wilson when Wilson decided to transfer from Oregon. If I recall this happened just before school started after DJ had already arrived in Milwaukee.

I thought the same thing...just happens when you're not on a good team, I guess.
View attachment 3402

It also happens when you're basically just a volume scorer. His ORtg was only 108.9. To put that in perspective Hollins was at 108.0 and King was at 111.2. Yes, they had less usage, but Newbill was only 10th in the league among guys with 24% or more possessions used. He was 16th in the league in assist rate, 29th in the league in lowest turnover rate, 29th in the league in steal rate, 52nd in the league in defensive rebound percentage, 19th in the league in true shooting %...

Newbill is a good scorer. He could be an asset on a team that has other people to do the other things. But he's basically a one-trick pony. Penn State's previous volume scorers (Battle and Frazier) were much better passers.

All of that being said, who the heck is going to score for them next year? I guess it'll have to be Geno Thorpe. PSU is going to be horrible.

PS: I missed Fran getting furious. Hope there's video out there, because it's fun to watch. He's a lunatic.

Ross Travis had an incredible game and really sealed the win for PSU at the end. Way to go PSU!

It's up there with Nate missing the all-freshman team, Austin Hollins not making the all-defense team and Kent Hrbek never winning a gold glove.

It's up there with Nate missing the all-freshman team, Austin Hollins not making the all-defense team and Kent Hrbek never winning a gold glove.

Nate missing the all freshman team wasn't much of an injustice considering that the likely four best freshman were either classified as guards or as big guards/small forwards (Russell, Trimble, Blackmon, and Tate). Putting Bryant McIntosh ahead of him was also justifiable as they had about the same PER in conference play but McIntosh's true shooting percentage in conference was significantly higher and he averaged about 6 minutes more per game. Nate's averages fell off during conference season. Remember that he did have multiple poor shooting games. In the 20 games against conference teams, he shot below 40% in 12 of them and 50% or above in only 5; that was further compounded by him being a mediocre free throw shooter. His true shooting percentage for conference play was only 9th best on the Gopher team.

The irony is that Newbill was Creaned by Buzz Williams when he was still at Marquette under terrible circumstances. His scholarship was given to Jamil Wilson when Wilson decided to transfer from Oregon. If I recall this happened just before school started after DJ had already arrived in Milwaukee.

No - you've got your info hosed up. (...and what is the irony??)

Newbill wasn't on campus and had never even applied to the MU. He elected to go to Southern Mississippi for one year before again changing course for Penn State.

No - you've got your info hosed up. (...and what is the irony??)

Newbill wasn't on campus and had never even applied to the MU. He elected to go to Southern Mississippi for one year before again changing course for Penn State.

Yes, I was wondering where he came up with that nonsense myself. Crean was already at Indiana for two years when Newbill came out of Strawberry Mansion high school in Philadelphia. If Crean recruited him at Marquette, he would have done it while Newbill was a soph. I remember him as a freshman at Southern Miss because I follow Philly high school players from time to time and he had a notable freshman year there.

This is just another example of someone relying on second hand stories and being too lazy to do a few minutes research before making a claim.

Yes, I was wondering where he came up with that nonsense myself. Crean was already at Indiana for two years when Newbill came out of Strawberry Mansion high school in Philadelphia. If Crean recruited him at Marquette, he would have done it while Newbill was a soph. I remember him as a freshman at Southern Miss because I follow Philly high school players from time to time and he had a notable freshman year there.

This is just another example of someone relying on second hand stories and being too lazy to do a few minutes research before making a claim.

Reading comprehension is a valuable asset. I didn't say that Crean creaned him, I said that Buzz Williams creaned him. If you need to know what 'creaned' means, google it.

As to whether Newbill ever enrolled at Marquette or had arrived in Milwaukee, my recollection of the incident was that he was already there when informed over the summer that his scholarship was going to Wilson. See the story here If that story doesn't convince you that Marquette and Buzz behaved badly, then I don't know what to say.

And if you missed the obvious, the 'irony' is that 4 years later, Marquette is in the basement of the Big East with a 13-19 record and Newbill is being debated for first team B10.

Pot, meet kettle....

Here's what a few minutes of research will yield on this matter:

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/archives/article_ec389e2c-4e8f-5861-91fa-1c06c71b82f7.html

http://articles.philly.com/2010-07-01/sports/24998774_1_marquette-essay-coaching

http://www.pennlive.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/12/dj_newbills_journey_to_penn_st.html

If you read these links, it looks like GW is technically correct that he hadn't submitted his application, but was working on the essay and didn't have a deadline. Marquette jumped on that technicality to use as a reason for creaning him, but it's obvious to all who follow Marquette that the reason was that Wilson had decided to transfer.

And if you missed the obvious, the 'irony' is that 4 years later, Marquette is in the basement of the Big East with a 13-19 record and Newbill is being debated for first team B10.

Once again you lie. Sad.

It's 5 years later. Newbill has been in college 5 years now. He sat out a year in residence at PSU after his transfer from Southern Miss.

Get it together, bud. MU lost players due to a coaching transition, which is quite normal. Eight scholarship players and injuries among those eight made it tough. Love the future though.

Marquette is another topic though. If we're sticking with Penn St. and Newbill, get your crap together before making continual false claims.

Williams needed a spot for Jamil Wilson coming from Oregon so they told Newbill to find another team. Marquette's defense should be that anyone recruited to Marquette should have know that a letter of intent meant nothing there.

Newbill's coach said -- "According to Stan Laws, who coached Newbill ... last winter at Strawberry Mansion High, a member of Marquette's coaching staff said the school was cutting ties with the 6-4 guard, a first-team Daily News All-City honoree, in a Tuesday phone call. Newbill signed a national letter of intent in April. He had hoped, Laws said, to arrive on campus July 7 and take some summer classes, while also participating in a local league. Those plans had not been finalized. Laws said the call came from Scott Monarch, an assistant to head coach Buzz Williams. "We were talking about lots of things," Laws said, "and he kept reiterating the things that DJ still had to do. It was kind of going in circles. I had the feeling there was something more . . . and there was. He said he thought it would be in DJ's best interest if he went somewhere else."
>>>>>

Wisbadger, if you're going to post here you need to know the rules. G.Warrior is never wrong.
Ever.
And the rest of the posters: liars.

Once again you lie. Sad. It's 5 years later. Newbill has been in college 5 years now.

Love the -- it wasn't 4 years ago...it was 5 years ago defense. And love the -- Newbill wasn't even on campus yet -- defense. That doesn't change the fact that Marquette called Newbill to essentially tell him that Wilson had his scholarship.

Reading comprehension is a valuable asset. I didn't say that Crean creaned him, I said that Buzz Williams creaned him. If you need to know what 'creaned' means, google it.

OK, my bad. I misread your post and thought you said Crean did that. I knew that could hardly be possible.

Love the -- it wasn't 4 years ago...it was 5 years ago defense. And love the -- Newbill wasn't even on campus yet -- defense. That doesn't change the fact that Marquette called Newbill to essentially tell him that Wilson had his scholarship.

Defense? No, some poster in this thread said it was ironic that Newbill would have been at MU this year and could have helped him since it's 4 years since they parted ways... he was wrong - it's been 5 years.

Here's the question: Why didn't Newbill complete his application to Marquette? It was June and he hadn't completed his requirements under the NLI. Why not?

Wisbadger, if you're going to post here you need to know the rules. G.Warrior is never wrong.
Ever.
And the rest of the posters: liars.

Thanks for the tip. He sounds like a Marquette apologist. Buzz, is that you?

Top Bottom