Penalty on Northwestern near the goal-line

Reaction score
I'm still scratching my head as to why Brew accepted the delay of game penalty that gave their FG kicker an easier angle from the left hash. From inside the 5 the angle isn't that easy, especially for a guy that missed an extra point earlier.

Just another reason why Brew isn't a very good coach. Should have declined the yardage.

I was fine with that. Took away the opportunity for the D to give them a first down by jumping offside.

This bugged me, that is a no-brainer decline

Why improve the hash mark and the angle for the other team? Most if not all would have declined that penalty. Coach Brewster proves weekly that the emperor has no clothes.
Some of his coaches do not behave like professionals, it is one thing to have enthusiasm but they take things to a level of buffoonery on the side lines that is pure selfish behavior and lacks focus. There is nothing wrong with enthusiasm, expressing emotion of joy and having fun, but being over the top, a coach needs to carry themselves to just a little higher standard, celebrate like they have been there before, and expect a little decorum and discipline, even if your going through some tough times. Brew he is loyal to a fault to a QB with a future going no where and Rome is burning in his own program. All he can do is be stubborn until the end, he will stick with what he knows.

It is no wonder the the locker room is divided when losing set's in, the guy's are not stupid and they know the guy with the key's isn't leading anyone anywhere. Why not at least try the other guy, before he checks out, he might not be better right now but this team is going no where fast with the current starter in place. #5 he would bring energy and enthusiasm to the field, a new look and a fresh voice in the huddle. A chance for the team to do something more and actually possibly get better. You, would see the whole atmosphere of the team would change, from the WR's to the defense, attitudes would change. #8 has lead us as far in this journey as he can, he is a noble warrior but his time has come and it is time for a new voice. It is time to turn over the key's.

While I agree that MQG should get a shot at QB, I really do not think offense is our problem. The defense gives up way too many points and yard per game. They look tired towards the end of the game, and the line barely makes an impact.

I know people are calling for Webers head, but that really is not as big of an issue as many make it out to be. Who knows if Marqueis would even be any better.

Because Brewster is an idiot, how don't you realize this yet.

Do you mean the play that they were lined up to NOT kick a field goal, and instead were probably going to get a first down, or touchdown (they could have made a 1st inside the 3 if I remember correctly)?

The delay of game penalty took them out of that formation, and brought in the the fieldgoal team.

The delay of game penalty was just to give their field goal kicker a better angle. If we would have declined the smart play would have still been to attempt the field goal, even with a slightly worse angle. That being said, why we didn't decline the call is baffling.

4th and 2 at the 5 yard line, we had not stopped them at all...all friggin' day.

Move them back and have them kick the FG. If you don't think a college kicker can make a 22 yarder from a "bad angle" kick 99 out of 100 times, you're a worse coach than Brew. And that one miss would only come from a block.

Actually, I think it was mistake not to call a time out with 2:45, right after 3rd down.

It was a no brainer accept.

The difference in percentage makes is scarcely different. The only consideration for Brewster was field position if they missed. Clearly by accepting the penalty we would have been in a better position. Plus it took away the funky fourth down play.

The hope was that we'd do something stupid like use one of our timeouts. It was just a play by their coach that didn't hurt them but gave them a sliver of hope of something interesting happening. Otherwise it was a non event.

It was a no brainer accept.

The difference in percentage makes is scarcely different. The only consideration for Brewster was field position if they missed. Clearly by accepting the penalty we would have been in a better position.

Not true - a missed FG inside the 20 brings the ball out to the 20 for the opposing team. It was probably wise to accept because NU was lined up for a play before the delay, not a FG, so It wasn't obvious that they just wanted an angle.

What if Brew declined it and then NU ran it in from the 2? What would be said on this board then?

You absolutely push them back five yards there. The FG is most likely going to go in either way. Not a huge percentage difference, totally negligible. However, in accepting, you go from 4th-and-2 to 4th-and-6. HUGE difference. Offsides, running into the kicker, and any other possible 5-yd penalty would NOT give them a first down. That is key.

If you remember, we got burned by this in the NDSU game two years ago. They intentionally got a delay on 4th-and-2 to give their punter more room to bounce it inside the 20. Brewster declined the penalty trying to negate that extra room. We ran into the punter and they got a key first down.

I don't think you can accept it because you make the kicker's job easier and points are key there. Its no different than declining a penalty when the opponent is punting from your own 40 or so.

It was the right call to accept the penalty and push them back, had they run a play they likely score. There are plenty of things to get after Brewster for but this is not one of them.

Anyone scratching their heads or baffled as to why a coach would opt to push an opponent further from his end zone must go into mental tailspins about something as exotic as an audible checked back to the original play.

The delay of game penalty is one that you can't refuse even if you had wanted to.

You can decline a delay of game penalty in high school and pro, don't know why you couldn't in college.

Northwestern never had any intention of going for it. It was all about trying to draw the gophers offsides, they then took delay of game to get a better angle on the kick. If it is possible to decline a delay of game, you decline 100/100 times. Heck, even if they were going for it on 4th and 2 (they weren't) you decline it. As a coach of a D1 football team, I would rather have my defense (no matter how bad they are) on a 4th and 2 than a full ride kicker attempting a glorified extra point.

I'm not mad at Brew for that...

Think about it...he declines...one of our linemen jumps offsides like an idiot...

The result?

1st & Goal NW...

Top Bottom