Payne in portal (UPDATED: Payne commits to Texas A&M)

Boy has got to get paid.

If you aren't tithing 10% then you have nothing to complain about. That's life

Boy has got to get paid.

I'm just going to rig up an AI where the Gophers win every game by 500 points and I don't have to pay a penny.

Bringing in a proven coach is going to be difficult without the NIL money also. They kinda go hand in hand.

I also have my doubts this market will ever be able to compete with NIL money. Wisconsin has had more success, so has Iowa. But struggle with NIL also.
Pay for play is basically anethema to hard working Midwest people.

You know what, f--k Pharell Payne.

He averaged 10 and 6.

The buzz is he wants to be paid big money and is pissed about coming off the bench to start the year.

Get a new coach and try again.

Might be a hot take but Payne seems incredibly overrated by the board and apparently whoever is about to pay him. Maybe it was the function of him and Dawson shouldn't be starting at the same time but he seemed so awkward doing basic things on the basketball court. I cringed every time he dribbled and threw a pass and not to mention the free throws. He was also consistently in foul trouble.

Optics are obviously bad but I don't think any of the losses are irreplaceable currently...
JB never disappoints.

He averaged 10 and 6.

The buzz is he wants to be paid big money and is pissed about coming off the bench to start the year.

He averaged 10 and 6 in 23 minutes. Next year he will average 15 and 10 in 30 minutes. I still hope it is here. PP is one of my favorite Gophers. He throw his body into it and plays with passion. He has a lot more upside. I'd have rather lost Garcia than Payne. The sad part is we might well lose Garcia as well.

He averaged 10 and 6 in 23 minutes. Next year he will average 15 and 10 in 30 minutes. I still hope it is here. PP is one of my favorite Gophers. He throw his body into it and plays with passion. He has a lot more upside. I'd have rather lost Garcia than Payne. The sad part is we might well lose Garcia as well.
While being our 2nd most efficient player with a ton of upside.

I used to think this way, but I've started to come around to a different opinion. We don't have a Knight or Ruiz or Pickens that will casually toss billions at NIL. We don't have a Ryan family like NW, or the couple that is building UST a new arena in St. Paul.

But most programs don't have those whales either.

I think Minnesota is middle of the pack in terms of NIL. We've literally lost ONE really good player in football to NIL and that was Bucky Irving. All the rest of the good players have been retained. That made me think that the U isn't really that far off the mark and that players are happy here.

Basketball is different because of the nature of the game and the rosters, but guys will stay if they are happy here and are getting a fair NIL deal. So you have to ask the question, why are they not happy here? I've gone back and forth on my opinion about CBJ, but the question stands.
With all the Fortune 500 companies, it's shocking that there is not a Cuban or a Ryan here. Cargills and Daytons just don't give a rat's ass. Ahhh to have a Walton, Mr Tyson, or Mr Hunt for the program.

Major blow. Can we just please move on from CBJ experiment. Bring in someone like Bryce Drew and let’s turn this trainwreck around.
Bryce is a good guy, I went to his dad's camps for years, but don't know if he'd take this job. That Suns former owner funnels a lot a money through Grand Canyon, he asks for something, Uncle Jer gets it. Here on the other hand...

I've looked at the CBJ multiple times and when he was hired in 2021 his salary was 3+ million according to multiple web-sources. I distinctly remember being dismayed at his salary being the same as Pitino's salary when Pitino was fired and wondering why CBJ wasn't hired at a deep discount. Someone WAS spreading misinformation if his salary is $ 1.95 million today compared to his published salary in 2021 of 3+ million.
Where did you see his salary at $3M? It’s $1.95M which is lowest in the B1G

With all the Fortune 500 companies, it's shocking that there is not a Cuban or a Ryan here. Cargills and Daytons just don't give a rat's ass. Ahhh to have a Walton, Mr Tyson, or Mr Hunt for the program.
Having Pickens hasn’t helped Oke State much.

Well...that is a kick in the nuts! I understand the Ola-Joseph portal move (although I feel he could have and maybe should have had a role on this team). I can understand the Carrington portal decision (although it hurts). But...losing Payne hurts and means that Ben's entire 1st recruiting class is not going to be a part of our future. Time to move on from Coach Ben Johnson. Damn! I had such high hopes after this year...we were 'legitimate' and competitive. But if we can't keep our players we are doomed. Time to move on. (Sorry Coach)

Don’t forget the Pohlad pocket protectors

He averaged 10 and 6.

Classy MN nice! 🤔

I don't see him playing 30 minutes per game next year either. He averaged 1.3 minutes per game more this season than his freshman year.

Look, Payne was very good at what he did but he was limited in what he could do. He couldn't shoot further than 3 feet from the basket, he couldn't handle the ball well enough to dribble in traffic and back defenders down, and, although he was improving, he wasn't a reliable free throw shooter.

There's no way I would have rather lost Garcia than Payne. Garcia is not a great athlete but he is very skilled and can hurt you inside and outside. Garcia usually was the guy who got a shot late in the clock because no one else could.

I don't see him playing 30 minutes per game next year either. He averaged 1.3 minutes per game more this season than his freshman year.

Look, Payne was very good at what he did but he was limited in what he could do. He couldn't shoot further than 3 feet from the basket, he couldn't handle the ball well enough to dribble in traffic and back defenders down, and, although he was improving, he wasn't a reliable free throw shooter.

There's no way I would have rather lost Garcia than Payne. Garcia is not a great athlete but he is very skilled and can hurt you inside and outside. Garcia usually was the guy who got a shot late in the clock because no one else could.
He had a bad back all year. He did not sit because he got in foul trouble for the most part. His back and his free throw shooting. If he gets up to 60+ % on FT shooting he gets 3-4 more minutes at the end of games. I'm not going sour grapes on Payne. He is a key piece- a big physical athlete who made everyone else a little better because of his presence on the floor and his attitude of playing hard.

I hope we keep Garcia- gonna take $$$. I'd rather have Payne if I had to choose.

The number of athletes competing in this year’s NCAA tournament that have made not one, not 2, but 3 and 4 stops in their college careers is alarming, shocking and destructive. It’s only good for top-tier programs. They have fucked it all up with this. Student-athletes my ass.
Maybe we should require them to wear sashes with all the previous teams they played for - kind of like Girl Scout patches. :ROFLMAO:

I agree with you that losing Garcia will have a bigger impact on next year but I think I'd rather have two seasons of Payne.

That said, your analysis of Payne is strange to me. Yes, there are fewer things he can do well than a stretch 4 like Garcia, but it's in the nature of his position. It's like saying Hawkins is limited because he can't defend the post.

For a 6'9" 255 lbs player, he does a lot of things well. He can finish near the rim, he is athletic enough to hedge the PNR (we're going to miss that next year), he has decent hands, he's a decent rim protector, he's our best rebounder and he has some skill (gets nearly as many assists as Garcia).

Historically that’s not the problem. The best players in the Pitino era were recruited by Ben and all say he was a great guy and communicated well with players and families while Richard left that duty to him.
HUGE difference being the nice friendly good cop assistant behind the scenes versus trying to blend and motivate the players on the court while front and center with responsibility for everything that happens.

Boy has got to get paid.

This is redundant. By definition - tithing is 10%. You also would never tithe to have a better basketball team.

Top Bottom