Payne, Carrington, Ola-Joseph and Ihnen...

You clearly have some strong feelings about this, I'll step aside on this one.
My only strong feelings are that he is not and will not be a key contributor to a P6 winning basketball program. I wish the young man the best. He could possibly be a stud at a non P6 or D2 level team. I think there are some Gopher fans who somehow think Ihnen can be a key player for a top third BIG team and that is just not the case. I was very excited when we signed him. Wasn't impressed with his preinjury Gopher resume but was hopeful he would develop. He obviously hasn't.

I'm done talking about a player who will not be part of the Gophers rotation next season. Hope he finds a good landing spot.

It's really easy to imply Johnson is pretty ignorant in thinking Ihnen "was a guard." Much of how players play in terms of their position is based on brain-type. There are many players who are geared towards being basket-facing players, and do not learn "back to the basket" kinds of skills easily.

As a coach, you can do your best to try to convert players to adopt skills (post up skills) that may better align with their physical make up, but many players are just not able to adapt. This happens to all coaches-it is not necessarily "Johnson's fault" that he couldn't change Ihnen into a player more comfortable close to the basket. (Treyton Thompson is a good example).

I don't think Johnson is the best coach in the country, but you can't transform every player that comes along. And while Ihnen has had his share of struggles, he does have some value as a guy who can defend and rebound in the right situation and can fill in a few minutes off the bench.

There are certainly things you can criticize Johnson for, but this isn't one of them. And if Christie and a few other pieces from the portal decide to join this group (a big "if" for sure), this team has the possibility of being an upper division Big Ten team and an NCAA tourney team next year.

And if that's the case (again, a big "if"), that's continued progress-and he'll look like less of an idiot to some on this board. And if they're worse next year, he'll probably be gone.

As it should be.
I’m pretty sure BJ was being asked about roster balance and his lack of shooting guards. And he said if Ihnen wasn’t hurt he would be his 2. So he could have been honest and said he had an unbalanced roster, or he could say something crazy like Ihnen was his 2. He didn’t say he could shoot like a 2. I don’t know what Ihnen could have done in practice for a coach to say that, but I never saw those skills in a game. Ihnen is 6-8/6-9. Mitchell is playing the 2, he is 6-2. Most sg are 6-5 and under and are quick, can handle the ball, score off the drive, shoot, and defend.

I disagree. Fox would definitely be worth another year on scholarship. He played very well the past half of the season off the bench, energetic and inspirational. With 13 scholarships there will be role players off the bench. Why not Fox?
He's talking about the 2nd scholarship for Ihnen.
This. I'm 100% for a scholarship for Fox and love what he does for the team, but there's no reason to keep Ihnen and would be a silly reason to try and keep him around.

I just remember him showing some 3 pt range before he got hurt

Ihnen's 3.4 ppg would be a big boost to their offense

Given some of the games Virginia has played, 3.4 points per game might be equivalent to 7 for some other team.

I see that High Point is on the list. He could join another transfer from Minnesota if he went there.

I’m pretty sure BJ was being asked about roster balance and his lack of shooting guards. And he said if Ihnen wasn’t hurt he would be his 2. So he could have been honest and said he had an unbalanced roster, or he could say something crazy like Ihnen was his 2. He didn’t say he could shoot like a 2. I don’t know what Ihnen could have done in practice for a coach to say that, but I never saw those skills in a game. Ihnen is 6-8/6-9. Mitchell is playing the 2, he is 6-2. Most sg are 6-5 and under and are quick, can handle the ball, score off the drive, shoot, and defend.

I think he was speaking about Ihnen being a defensive 2 guard. He is fairly hard to dribble around with those long arms.

Gophers staff has told Carrington it's a no-go at their meeting about bringing him back. Have to imagine the stuff about the locker room this past season plays into this decision
This is not a knock on Carrington who played good defense- but I view this as good news as they must think they have a line on better guards.

Gophers staff has told Carrington it's a no-go at their meeting about bringing him back. Have to imagine the stuff about the locker room this past season plays into this decision
hmmm this surprises me if accurate. But perhaps there is so much unknown and as you say the rumors are true and ge was a problem

wow. did the staff encourage carrington to enter the portal in the first plae?

wow. did the staff encourage carrington to enter the portal in the first plae?

Never read that anywhere.

Somewhat educated speculation: the three sophomores are discussing how they deserve more playing time and can get better NIL elsewhere as the season winds down. All three enter the portal. Carrington doesn't like the opportunities he has. Reaches out to Ben and staff to talk through options. Ben/staff are more concerned with maintaining integrity with rest of the roster

Somewhat educated speculation: the three sophomores are discussing how they deserve more playing time and can get better NIL elsewhere as the season winds down. All three enter the portal. Carrington doesn't like the opportunities he has. Reaches out to Ben and staff to talk through options. Ben/staff are more concerned with maintaining integrity with rest of the roster
Exactly

Between Carrington and JOJ, I wonder which of the two was the ring leader, or maybe it was a tag team operation. My money is on JOJ, since by the end of the season he didn't see the floor at all. They had it with him at that point.

hard lesson learned. guessing its getting repeated about 300 times this off season acroos d1 bball

This is not a knock on Carrington who played good defense- but I view this as good news as they must think they have a line on better guards.
Reasonable assumption in normal circumstances but we’ve missed so badly on guards recently that assuming we have a line on players at all seems to be a stretch.

Not a bit, but keep defending and digging into your hole
Random really??
So you doubt that John Tauer cannot out coach many? Do you doubt that St. Thomas will win these battles? what is your point?
Get some help.

This would certainly make sense. If the 3 of them were bad locker room guys then saying thanks but no thanks to any of them that want to come back would be the right way to go.

And as someone else posted, maybe this is also an indication that they feel good about their prospects with other guards in the portal and don't feel they would need a guy like Carrington regardless.

Top Bottom