PAYNE A GOPHER!!

They will be back after one loss.
I don't know, I think there are a lot of things to rip on die hard Gopher fans about but being overly negative bandwagon jumpers isn't one of them. People will rip on the coach/team when there is bad play but we are pretty damn mild when it comes to fan bases.

I don't know, I think there are a lot of things to rip on die hard Gopher fans about but being overly negative bandwagon jumpers isn't one of them. People will rip on the coach/team when there is bad play but we are pretty damn mild when it comes to fan bases.
I think he’s talking specifically about the few who search for reasons to complain.

I don't know much about other fan bases. I generally agree with you about the distinction between overall support for the program and situational displeasure with a coach or team play. However, in this case there is a cadre of folks who are deeply unhappy with this "diversity hire" and they are waiting for the first rough patch (most likely this November) to say "I told you so."

I don't know much about other fan bases. I generally agree with you about the distinction between overall support for the program and situational displeasure with a coach or team play. However, in this case there is a cadre of folks who are deeply unhappy with this "diversity hire" and they are waiting for the first rough patch (most likely this November) to say "I told you so."
You're conflating two separate things that have a bit of overlap. I don't want to bog down this thread with that back and forth, but there are plenty of folks who recognize this as a diversity hire and still support Ben and the team and plenty of folks who aren't deeply disturbed by a diversity hire that have been vocally sounding the alarm. Ben is an accomplished guy who is coaching a Big 10 basketball team. He doesn't need to be protected by these sorts of suggestions that any rip on Ben is somehow rooted in racism.

There wasn't much to cheer for in the last few months. We filled a team with backups from Mercyhurst and Stephen F. Austin. We've essentially had to sit on scholarships because we couldn't find a guy over 6'8" that could walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. To be anxiously searching for racism in Gopher fans' criticism of the program during those times is mass paranoia. I still don't think I've seen a single thing written that ripped on Ben Johnson. But Ben doesn't have a typical Big 10 coach's resume. When/if things go south, he'll be ripped on. He'll be ripped on if/when we're good but some fans think we could still be slightly better (PJ has critics). It's the nature of the job. He'll get ripped on. . . people will point to the experience. It's just a simple fact. It's part of sports fandom. I'll clue you into the reality that you've already attempted to cowardly cast as racist. . .if we are awful in November, fans are going to rip Ben. If we are awful in November, fans SHOULD rip Ben.

Signing Payne is a huge step in the right direction and Ben's been applauded for it. I think he is the second best player in the state and if we can continue to lock up players of his caliber, Ben Johnson will be the most successful coach since Clem. If it doesn't work out that way, I'll rip on Ben Johnson just like I did Pitino.

Another aspect that makes this awesome. We now have two respected commits, they really could start a domino effect. Kids are seeing that talented hometown kids want to play here. Other Minnesota kids may come and our attractiveness goes up to out-of-state recruits too.

The train really could be pulling out of the station.

per Bossi:

In reviewing game film of Payne I see a guy with a lot of upside. He's got a great frame for a power forward, he's a bouncy athlete, he shows promise as a shooter, he can really run the floor and he's an excellent shot blocker. Due to some players reclassifying, we have actually moved Payne into our top 150 (at No. 150) to fill a newly opened spot. Now, we've not done a full update to the 2022 rankings yet so that's just a place holder for Payne at the moment. In my opinion, he's got a good chance to move up and I think we need to heavily consider him for a move to four-star status. The bottom line here, is Johnson and his staff identified a very talented, very local kid playing on a non shoe sponsored team and got him locked up as quickly as possible.

Their other local commit, wing Braeden Carrington, isn't so bad either. He's got good positional size, can get it going scoring from the perimeter and if he doesn't make the updated rankings, he won't miss by a lot. I also expect the Gophers to land a commitment from another local in bouncy forward Josh Ola-Josephwho had a breakout summer earning offers from others like Clemson and Texas A&M.

We will see how things continue to progress, but from where I sit, Johnson deserves high marks for doing exactly what it was hoped he would do when it comes to locking down Minnesota talent. There have and will be some misses, but overall he is on track as he and his staff fight to lock down the borders.

Go Gophers!!

anyone a 247 insider who could post the updated 150? Again I suppose it doesnt matter but sounds like Payne is in there, feels like a bit of validation.

You're conflating two separate things that have a bit of overlap. I don't want to bog down this thread with that back and forth, but there are plenty of folks who recognize this as a diversity hire and still support Ben and the team and plenty of folks who aren't deeply disturbed by a diversity hire that have been vocally sounding the alarm. Ben is an accomplished guy who is coaching a Big 10 basketball team. He doesn't need to be protected by these sorts of suggestions that any rip on Ben is somehow rooted in racism.

There wasn't much to cheer for in the last few months. We filled a team with backups from Mercyhurst and Stephen F. Austin. We've essentially had to sit on scholarships because we couldn't find a guy over 6'8" that could walk and chew bubble gum at the same time. To be anxiously searching for racism in Gopher fans' criticism of the program during those times is mass paranoia. I still don't think I've seen a single thing written that ripped on Ben Johnson. But Ben doesn't have a typical Big 10 coach's resume. When/if things go south, he'll be ripped on. He'll be ripped on if/when we're good but some fans think we could still be slightly better (PJ has critics). It's the nature of the job. He'll get ripped on. . . people will point to the experience. It's just a simple fact. It's part of sports fandom. I'll clue you into the reality that you've already attempted to cowardly cast as racist. . .if we are awful in November, fans are going to rip Ben. If we are awful in November, fans SHOULD rip Ben.

Signing Payne is a huge step in the right direction and Ben's been applauded for it. I think he is the second best player in the state and if we can continue to lock up players of his caliber, Ben Johnson will be the most successful coach since Clem. If it doesn't work out that way, I'll rip on Ben Johnson just like I did Pitino.
I expect us to be pretty bad this year. I was hoping we'd keep Gabe, Liam, and have shot to be respectable, but didn't happen. I liked Bens strategy of grad transfers and upper class men to not tie up scholarships long term

I will not be ripping Ben this year over w/l.

His first full recruiting class is off to good start.

anyone a 247 insider who could post the updated 150? Again I suppose it doesnt matter but sounds like Payne is in there, feels like a bit of validation.

Doesn't look like a full update yet - which Eric Bossi also says in the article posted above. Looking forward to seeing Pharrel and an "M" in the top 100 once the full update takes place!

Their updated rankings are coming in September.

I expect us to be pretty bad this year. I was hoping we'd keep Gabe, Liam, and have shot to be respectable, but didn't happen. I liked Bens strategy of grad transfers and upper class men to not tie up scholarships long term

I will not be ripping Ben this year over w/l.

His first full recruiting class is off to good start.
I won't either but I think it's fair if people do. Wins and losses matter. I agree with you on the recruiting class. It's a great start and Ben deserves credit.

Lot's of code in the first days, weeks and months after Ben was hired. So....nope.

There wasn't much to cheer for in the last few months. We filled a team with backups from Mercyhurst and Stephen F. Austin. We've essentially had to sit on scholarships because we couldn't find a guy over 6'8" that could walk and chew bubble gum at the same time.
Not ripping you Bob because I do think you are reasonable, but this part always drove me nuts this summer. Like what’s the different between Mutaf and Mitchell vs Daniels and Ogele? Also so many it seemed acted like that was a majority of our transfers which I always felt was very disrespectful to Willis, Stephens, Loewe, Battle, and Fox. Those six are a really nice haul, but we had no roster to join them. That is something you can choose to blame Johnson for.

There was no code, they said they thought it was a diversity hire. So, yep.
Just stop. You continue to say it is not racially motivated to classify it as a diversity hire? Get real.

Nobody really cares if you think the hire was qualified, because you are not aware of any actual details and you were not responsible for the hire. There are many who have applauded the hire that know much more about basketball than all of us combined.

Just to address your ridiculous insults about the Gopher roster. Have you ever been involved in a major reorganization? First priority is to establish the culture. You weed out the old culture and fill the organization with talent that will meet your culture and objectives. Ben could easily have brought in some “higher” touted players this first year, it is a fricking B1G program! But he wanted to bring in high character guys that will establish the culture and focus on the next year recruiting.

However, in this case there is a cadre of folks who are deeply unhappy with this "diversity hire"
Some might be upset over that aspect of it, and supposed "links" to "political activist" groups. Which is silly.

But I think plenty other reasonable people were just plain upset that a Big Ten program went out on a limb to a guy with zero head coaching experience. No way you can dismiss that legitimate criticism.

The rankings are public on there. Payne was slotted at 150

Just stop. You continue to say it is not racially motivated to classify it as a diversity hire? Get real.

Nobody really cares if you think the hire was qualified, because you are not aware of any actual details and you were not responsible for the hire. There are many who have applauded the hire that know much more about basketball than all of us combined.

Just to address your ridiculous insults about the Gopher roster. Have you ever been involved in a major reorganization? First priority is to establish the culture. You weed out the old culture and fill the organization with talent that will meet your culture and objectives. Ben could easily have brought in some “higher” touted players this first year, it is a fricking B1G program! But he wanted to bring in high character guys that will establish the culture and focus on the next year recruiting.
Nobody cares what you think about Loblaw. He stated the truth about why the hire was made. We all know it. I think he also has been positive about Johnson as a person and like myself, very hopeful for the future. We all agree that good character is a good building block for the program. You haven't landed upon some discovery here.

Things are looking up for coach Johnson and the program. He is off to a good start on getting a really nice 2022 signing group. That's crucial if he is going to succeed here.

Go Gophers!

People can and will rip the team this winter when the wins are slow come. They will likely point to the level of talent on this year's roster.

Like some others have said, I will be looking more at this team's competitive nature. I'll be looking for toughness. I'll be looking for hustle. I am hopeful that the current roster is full of scrappy underdogs. We will undoubtedly lose more than we win, but if this group establishes a program identity for the future, I think it's worth putting up with losses this season. Higher rated players may have brought us more wins, but without the right mentality, progress toward a truly competitive top-tier B1G team would be slowed.

On the right night, we may surprise a few teams. I hope this team annoys the crap out of everyone we play.

Top Bottom