Paying Student-Athletes

Schlic Daddy

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about before, but I can't believe the comment from OSU's AD:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=6564134

But some Big Ten officials say if they can help out their athletes, then the concept of using the same rules for all teams should be abandoned. Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said the stakes are simply higher for schools like his than for those in the MAC or Sun Belt.

"The reality is, if there's cost of attendance and you can't afford it, don't do it," Smith said. "The teams you're trying to beat can't do it either. Don't do it because Ohio State's doing it. That's one of the things schools at that level get trapped into thinking."

So he is saying OSU should be able to pay it's players more than other schools, if such a model is adopted? Priceless, gotta love where the NCAA is headed.

I'll never support paying players above and beyond the real costs of attending the school. I'm all for making sure they have enough to pay for all tuition, fees, books, food, rent, etc. Even a reasonable amount for things like visiting home for players from distant states and so on. Things that can be justified while maintaining amateur status.

But just giving them cash for being a player? Nope. I'll never sign up for it.

Not so long as the teams are still associated with the universities.

If the Buckeyes become the Columbus Buckeyes and disassociate themselves from Ohio State U, then fine. Be a true minor league professional team.

It's kind of annoying that there are so many forums where this topic is seriously debated. And, of course, people ignore the fact that very few athletic departments actually generate any sort of profit.

It's kind of annoying that there are so many forums where this topic is seriously debated. And, of course, people ignore the fact that very few athletic departments actually generate any sort of profit.

I don't see how anyone other than the players themselves can support this. I don't see how athletic departments and universities can support this with their budgets and the economy where they are currently at.

Top Bottom