Paulus named the starter

Everything I have heard about Syracuse this summer, including this, makes me believe we should destroy them if we are anything close to a good team.

I just can't believe that a guy whos been away from the game for four years can walk in and be an effective BCS QB on day one. That other QB must be terrible. If we don't destroy this team I will be very disappointed (considering what we have coming back versus what they have lost-and they weren't a good team last year). I would not be surprised to see them have a similar season to Brew's first season.

Excellent. Cannot wait to watch our line make him eat turf.

Paulus

I hope the Gophers really pound the living hell out of Syracuse and beat them by 21+ points.
Would be a great warm-up for the Air Force game!!

I just can't believe that a guy whos been away from the game for four years can walk in and be an effective BCS QB on day one. That other QB must be terrible. If we don't destroy this team I will be very disappointed (considering what we have coming back versus what they have lost-and they weren't a good team last year). I would not be surprised to see them have a similar season to Brew's first season.

Well, with a new coach and presumably a new offense it seems that a new QB would have a better chance of playing than a returning QB with a returning coach/offense. We have 2 new coordinators and a new offense so we may have our own adjustment period. I, of course, hope that we win but I'm not putting this one in the W column until we have won the game.

I, of course, hope that we win but I'm not putting this one in the W column until we have won the game.

Right on. This is a serious trap game. New coach, new quarterback, first game of the year. Throw everything out.

Also, the Carrier Dome will be rocking - I would not want to play the first game of the year there.

Really guys? Syracuse is 0-3, they just haven't recognized the losses yet. Accrual basis football is the wave of the future.

If we get trapped by Syracuse it will be Brewsters biggest failure since his arrival. How come we didn't trap anybody during his first season with our crappy roster, new qb and brand new coach? That is where Syracuse is at this year. There is no excuse for a loss to Syracuse - they are very weak. We are in year three with a lot of experienced players. Teams have not had trouble killing SU in the Carrier Dome for a long time.

If we get trapped by Syracuse it will be Brewsters biggest failure since his arrival. How come we didn't trap anybody during his first season with our crappy roster, new qb and brand new coach? That is where Syracuse is at this year. There is no excuse for a loss to Syracuse - they are very weak. We are in year three with a lot of experienced players. Teams have not had trouble killing SU in the Carrier Dome for a long time.

And if we beat OSU and PSU on the road those will be the biggest upsets of his career. What's your point? :rolleyes:

While I certainly feel that Syracuse is a beatable team (easily I hope), I'm still not going to write anything off as a win. Because of his college basketball experience, Paulus can likely handle a game-time situation much better than someone who has never played a college game before.

I don't think this will matter enough to overcome the fact that he hasn't played football competitively since he was a senior in HS, but he was a highly rated passer then.

Loved turning on Espnews and seeing them talk about the opening game between Syracuse and Minnesota. Think of all the national attention we could be grabbing early on in this year. This game will get some national attention just because who will be playing QB for Syracuse. TCF opener will be great and playing Cal will be another big boost. Looking forward to seeing if Brewster can coach us through that stretch and then seeing how he turns that into pay dirt on the recruiting trail.

Okay now I'm scared of Syracuse for some reason, this all too much for them not to come out and possibly surprise the hell out of us with *SOMETHING*...we don't win by atleast 3 scores I will officially be shaking in my boots up until we play Air Force.......

I actually like the scenario of struggling but winning vs. SU and then playing a good game (and winning) vs. AF. For whatever reason I believe that its hard to play 2 great games in a row, especially at the beginning of year. Should we win the first 2, I would bet the house that we do not cover vs. Cal. But I of course hope that we in them all, Go Gophers!

I don't watch much college hoops anymore, but I've always despised Duke. Checking out the You Tube clips on Paulus, it's obvious he's another one of those guys that makes me hate Duke and the sanctimonius Coach K.

Top Bottom