Paul Chryst?-Psych problems?

jeffcat

Reaction score
I mostly observe this board as a tOSU fan, but watching Paul Chryst's press conference, I have kind of noticed his affect and responses seem to be gradually deteriorating. He isn't the youngest guy, but does anybody else wonder if he has some kind of Alzheimer's or Parkinson's brewing. Either way, I wish the guy the best. I think he is a good coach for Sconsin, but I figured you guys would be more in the loop than myself on the issue.

I mostly observe this board as a tOSU fan, but watching Paul Chryst's press conference, I have kind of noticed his affect and responses seem to be gradually deteriorating. He isn't the youngest guy, but does anybody else wonder if he has some kind of Alzheimer's or Parkinson's brewing. Either way, I wish the guy the best. I think he is a good coach for Sconsin, but I figured you guys would be more in the loop than myself on the issue.

It's just the effect of living in Wisconsin for too long.

You seem like a really sharp guy. I am in awe of TO$U.

He seems sharp as ever to me. As someone else noted, he probably doesn't place a high value on public speaking and has other focus and talents. Claeys was similar.

He seems sharp as ever to me. As someone else noted, he probably doesn't place a high value on public speaking and has other focus and talents. Claeys was similar.

I don't notice that. He seems very fidgety, unfocused, and unable to find words. A lot of his statements are redundant, with no path, and even tangential sometimes. It just seems to be gradually worsening to me.

I don't notice that. He seems very fidgety, unfocused, and unable to find words. A lot of his statements are redundant, with no path, and even tangential sometimes. It just seems to be gradually worsening to me.

Nah. I've worked around tons of analytical types, some brilliant, that were not great communicators but were incredible analysts/planners. Chryst seems to fit that mode. In the same vein, I've known plenty of articulate saleperson types that are incredible communicators but would get nauseous at the thought of analyzing a spreadsheet or complex agreement.

On a related note, if I recall correctly, Chryst seemed like he was frequently mentioned as a head coach candidate over the years but was never hired (until Wisconsin) largely because of his low key communicating style.

Chryst was the head coach at Pitt prior to getting the Wisconsin job...

I’ll check his PC out later, but what you described is usually the impression I get listening to Frost, coincidentally.

Last edited:

Some here do have an issue with the affect, energy level, clothing choices, and weight of their coaches and would undoubtedly bring it up if PJF switched places with the Sconnie head man. I found it recently this is a fanbase very into fashion, interior design, etc. Luckily we have a very fit, energetic, dapper, silver tongued orator at the helm.

The guy took the ball out of Jonathan Taylor's hands down thr stretch of their game at Illinois, and we all know how that worked out.

I'm not saying you have to be silver-tongued to recruit. I understand a good ball coach can recruit good players without sounding like a salesman.

But watching Chryst, you have to wonder what he says to secure the recruits he does.
I generally appreciate monotone speaking without too much drama, but it's really hard to pay attention to Chryst for long.

The guy took the ball out of Jonathan Taylor's hands down thr stretch of their game at Illinois, and we all know how that worked out.
Well. 10 of his 28 carries were in the 2nd half including 1 in the last drive, He should have got the ball a few more times I agree. This is not unusual for Chryst though. So this is not proof of this"gradually worsening" condition. What a joke.

I’ll check his PC out later, but what you described is usually the impression I get listening to Frost, coincidentally.

Now granted, it typically is after a loss, but Frost always seems so angry in his press conferences that he wants to punch a hole in the wall. He really struggles to speak coherently because he's so mad (or so it seems to me).

Now granted, it typically is after a loss, but Frost always seems so angry in his press conferences that he wants to punch a hole in the wall. He really struggles to speak coherently because he's so mad (or so it seems to me).
Frost is the most entertaining to watch after a loss.

PJ essentially says the same thing after a loss with a couple of "Well, this is what I was thinking" and then defends it.

Frost is usually at loss for words. It's like the wheels are turning and all he can think about inside his head is

"I can't figure it out. All of our guys lifted a ton of weights this week. I don't know why were aren't out-toughing these guys"

Agree with many...public speaking is a different animal especially with the microphone on. Nothing wrong with their coach. I wouldn't judge him for that.

Much respect for anyone needing to answer the same press questions ad nauseum and sounding legitimately interested, engaged, amped. Particularly if it’s someone smarmy and angling for dirt like Rochelle at the Strib. It’s miraculous coaches don’t lose their tempers or troll the press more often. James Franklin is fun to watch as one can almost see and hear the wheels turning about what he really wants to say vs what finally comes out of his mouth. A game, to some extent.

I'm not saying you have to be silver-tongued to recruit. I understand a good ball coach can recruit good players without sounding like a salesman.

But watching Chryst, you have to wonder what he says to secure the recruits he does.
I generally appreciate monotone speaking without too much drama, but it's really hard to pay attention to Chryst for long.
Well if you play OL, DL, LB, or RB, he likely tells them his program can help you get into the league!

Top Bottom