Paul Chryst as the Gophers New Head Coach?

Wahoo McDaniel

Reaction score
The Badgers O-coordinator is a very smart guy who can recruit and coach football. Notice the way they tore up the OSU Buckeyes last night! Under him the program would start to recruit better, recover, and they would win. I think he would be a great pick. Wasn't he interviewed when Brewster got the job, or wasn't this ever announced?

The Badgers O-coordinator is a very smart guy who can recruit and coach football. Notice the way they tore up the OSU Buckeyes last night! Under him the program would start to recruit better, recover, and they would win. I think he would be a great pick. Wasn't he interviewed when Brewster got the job, or wasn't this ever announced?

I also heard the endorsement that Brent Mussberber (sp?) gave him during the game after a big call on a long pass play...to paraphrase, he said there are going to be some teams around looking for a head coach at the end of the year and if they were smart, they'd take a long look at Paul. Personally, I want a Coach with H.C. experience, but what the heck, he ought to be considered for sure.

Chryst isn't a recruiter. Also, it seems that Gophers fans are already sick and tired of the Wisconsin model, so we should probably go with something else.

Chryst isn't a recruiter. Also, it seems that Gophers fans are already sick and tired of the Wisconsin model, so we should probably go with something else.

Wisconsin certainly did well last night...didn't they?

What model would you suggest since you don't think much of the Badger model?

Wisconsin certainly did well last night...didn't they?

What model would you suggest since you don't think much of the Badger model?

Yes, it worked, but our fans seem to hate it. Several more years of ineffectually running the same offense that Brewster has been running is going to really test peoples' patience, don't you think?

Me? I've already expressed my support for Dana Holgorsen and his spread. The defense is going to improveme quite a bit over the next two years, and will be massively experienced in 2012. Unfortunately, we won't have an offense to compliment it. Hire Holgorsen and our offense could be very good next year.

Re: "learned it while flying jets in the Air Force"

Part of the pilot "don't ask, don't tell" pilot program?

Chryst

I also heard the endorsement that Brent Mussberber (sp?) gave him during the game after a big call on a long pass play...to paraphrase, he said there are going to be some teams around looking for a head coach at the end of the year and if they were smart, they'd take a long look at Paul. Personally, I want a Coach with H.C. experience, but what the heck, he ought to be considered for sure.

Musberger even went so far to say that there will be some Big Ten schools looking for a HC this season, and that those schools ought to consider Chryst. Was pretty clear to me he was referring to Minnesota. Personally, I'd rather win with a Wisconsin guy than lose with a Minnesota guy. Winning will make whomever steps into the role a Minnesota guy.

Also, I don't think you can say Gopher fans are critical of the Brewster-style offense. There's no such thing. We saw the 'Spread Coast' with Dunbar, the multi-TE uber-complicated pro style with the clown last year and the simpler pro-style system with Horton this year. I think Gopher fans will be critical of any system that doesn't work; and supportive of any system that does.

We could only hope he would give us some time of consideration.

I think Gopher fans will be critical of any system that doesn't work; and supportive of any system that does.

And it won't work for several years because we lack the horses to make it work. How patient will fans be with the same ineffectual offense over the next several years?

Running the ball well and winning aren't boring.

There r teams that manage to run well and win by balancing their offenses.
Watching Clay run may be effective, but it is boring.
Iowa runs the ball well and is a far more interesting team to watch.

But why

didnt Wisconsin make him head coach after Alvarez if he was so good.

I have no problem with Coach Chryst or poaching a successful coordinator from a (successful) rival program. I know there a few people on the board who want nothing to do with anyone from UW. When I read their posts, I remind myself that it has happened in another Big Ten program you may have heard of...Michigan. Coach Bo was an Ohio State coach under Coach Woody and seemed to do alright. Now I am not under any delusions that we are in any way shape or form in the same position as Michigan, but I refereed to this example to show that you should not not consider a coach just because he is from a rival school. A good coach is a good coach no matter what model or system he runs.

Part of the pilot "don't ask, don't tell" pilot program?

It would make it so much easier to respond (which is what you want from me) if you kept the conversation in its original thread.

Just a guess, but you would not have made the cut.

Strengthen ourselves while weakening our enemy, the art of war.

Works for me.

Anyone who is part of a top ranked program that also upsets a #1 is OK in my book.

My wish list in order:

Harbaugh
Patterson
Calhoun
Golden
Chryst
Billick

"There are dozens of good teams to emulate that aren't our rival or extremely boring."

Great observation, Northpoint!

Last night they had to wake the folks up who hung around to the end of the game at Camp Randall. Folks were falling asleep in their seats. All 82,000 of them.

sorry fellas, the first problem is that Chryst was born and raised in Madison. his dad was a Badger, he was a Badger, now he's the OC in his hometown which has gotta be on of the sweetest non-HC gigs he could have. secondly, i believe he has kids in high school still, so he may not want to uproot again and disrupt things for them. the third is the biggest: his personality. he may be an absolute genius with the X's and O's, but he's a reserved, quiet guy and not the energetic fire-it-up leader type of personality one might need to be the leader of an entire football team.

IMHO that is what got Bret the gig as our HC, with how he fired up the team in a 2004 game where BB came down from the booth and kicked the crap out of everything in sight and tore into his defensive players - and they responded in the second half with a shutout, and won the game.

note to someone above: Bielema was hired in 2004 as DC, Chryst 2005 as OC. BB was already named coach-to-be before he brought Chryst on.

You know, there's a lot of interesting factors with this guy.

1) He was born in Madison -- would that be a rivalry issue if he was our coach?

2) He's a killer OC -- but would he be another Mason who has no defense?

3) Last night's starting lineup for UW had like 90% WI-born players. Would his connections help steal some recruits?

4) As with 3), does this mean he's taking average players and coaching them up, a la Ferentz?

I think he should be interviewed. I also think there are better options.

I've already resigned myself to the fact it will probably be either him or the wife beater.

I've already resigned myself to the fact it will probably be either him or the wife beater.

It says something about the state of our program that the above statement was your 1000th post.

3) Last night's starting lineup for UW had like 90% WI-born players. Would his connections help steal some recruits?

Bielema being from Illinois and having played & coached at Iowa doesn't help us steal any recruits from those states, so no. PC won't help you steal any of our guys.

Bielema being from Illinois and having played & coached at Iowa doesn't help us steal any recruits from those states, so no. PC won't help you steal any of our guys.

Its amazing how well you guys recruit in-state. Wisconsin breeds linemen. Would love to get some of those big guys up front for us.

I have no trouble with the Badger model, but I frankly don't know if Chryst is the guy to install something like it or not. One fear I would have, and it's probably irrational, is that we saw in Mason a guy who loved Ohio State so much that he was almost satisfied to be a bargain-basement version of the Buckeyes. He just seemed to intimidated by OSU. Would Chryst be the same way vis-a-vis the Badgers?

I have no trouble with the Badger model, but I frankly don't know if Chryst is the guy to install something like it or not. One fear I would have, and it's probably irrational, is that we saw in Mason a guy who loved Ohio State so much that he was almost satisfied to be a bargain-basement version of the Buckeyes. He just seemed to intimidated by OSU. Would Chryst be the same way vis-a-vis the Badgers?

I'm not sold on Chryst, but I don't think this 'being a madison-guy' is really an issue. BB has a iowa TATOO for chryst's sake.

Hence the word "irrational" in my post. I just got sick of Mason constantly revering Ohio State. It's great to respect the best, but Glen seemed to fawn at every opportunity.

Running the ball well and winning aren't boring.

You are correct, and remember we aren't playin inside here in november, and 3 things happen when you pass----2 of em are bad i think Chryst should be considered

Top Bottom