Paul Carter

oleboy41

Reaction score
Today I've been re-watching the 2 Wisky games from last year and I have to say that I love Paul Carter's game. He had some rough moments like dribbling the ball off his knee and some bricks but the potential is there for a very very good all around player. Everyone gave Westbrook the credit for the comeback in Madison and rightfully so but Carter put us in position to win that game with a number of hustle plays. Once he refines his shot a bit and gets a few post moves this guy could be a very good player. He's athletic, versatile, and works hard. I see him as a more athletic version of Krabbenhoft in 2 years

I agree. While his game is not refined by any means, he has a ton of ability and hustle. I know he came from JC, but isn't he only a junior this year? That gives Tubby 2 more years to work with him. I really think he'll improve in the next 2 seasons.

Paul made a couple great hustle plays against Michigan St. in the Big Ten Tourny that made me get on my feet and made the Michigan St. fans look at each other and fidget in their seats. It was fun to see Paul out-work the best rebounders in the Big Ten (for a couple of plays, anyway.)

yea he's only a junior this upcoming year which is part of the reason why I'm excited about him. Remember everyone described him as a defensive hustle guy, built like Quincy Lewis but with the game of Miles Tarver. Seeing his offensive ability was a great surprise, especially since he's never really had the chance to develop. Don't forget that he moved around a ton before he got here and I have to imagine all of that transition hampered his development somewhat. He now has 2 years to improve and I think he'll be a very good one

Last year was a big adjustment for Carter but with his athleticism I think he will seriously challenge DJ for minutes this year.

Lets pray he has been taking 1,000 shots per day from 10 - 18 feet.

If he could develop a legit jump shot he would change the way teams can defend us...same with DJ.

Today I've been re-watching the 2 Wisky games from last year and I have to say that I love Paul Carter's game. He had some rough moments like dribbling the ball off his knee and some bricks but the potential is there for a very very good all around player. Everyone gave Westbrook the credit for the comeback in Madison and rightfully so but Carter put us in position to win that game with a number of hustle plays. Once he refines his shot a bit and gets a few post moves this guy could be a very good player. He's athletic, versatile, and works hard. I see him as a more athletic version of Krabbenhoft in 2 years

I honestly think if he developed a jump shot he could be a first round pick because of his athleticism.

Schlic Daddy wrote:

I honestly think if he developed a jump shot he could be a first round pick because of his athleticism.

To clarify, are you talking about the NBA draft?

The first time I saw him play in a game, the first thought I had was "wow, he's pretty darn athletic." I agree with the other posters on here that have commented on him developing a consistent jumper from either wing. If he can become consistent from about 12-15 feet, I think he can become a very good player.

If Carter could shoot ...

"If ifs and buts were candy and nuts, we’d all have a merry Christmas"

"We all said lets man up"

This was his quote after UT game. Paul is also a cheerleader. He and DJ are my favorite players in the team. If Paul didn't get injured, he would have been a much better player by the end of season. He needs to transfer some of his energy to DB. He was the national JC player of the year for god's sakes.

Our friend Vince.

Vince Grier was, in my mind, more athletic than Carter. Now if he had developed a jumpshot, the Miami Heat would be in the NBA finals as we speak. ;)

Grier was also only about 6'4" and had no jumper at all and below average handles. Right now Carter has a better J and better mechanics on it too. He's about 6'8" and has nice handles for that size. Now Grier was a very good leader and raised his game in big spots which is why we all loved him but I think Carter can be a better all around player

As much as I like how hard Carter plays and all the little things he does, unless he miraculously becomes like a top 5 shooter in college basketball, I don't think he'll make it to the NBA. He may be athletic but there are tons of players more athletic and skilled than him that don't make it or don't stay (Gerald Green).

I believe he shot around 35% from the field and he would also really need to work on his ball-handling. By the way it was Devron Bostic who was player of the year, and as he has shown, that doesn't necessarily translate into being any good in the BT. In terms of athletic gopher players who are potential NBA players if they become much much better shooters, I'd say DJ, White, and Williams all have a better shot than Carter.

All-Star Trip To China

Saw tidbit in www.kentucky.com Jerry Tipton's UK notebook that Carter led an All-Star team on a trip through China in scoring (15.6) and rebounding (11.0) in May.

Saw tidbit in www.kentucky.com Jerry Tipton's UK notebook that Carter led an All-Star team on a trip through China in scoring (15.6) and rebounding (11.0) in May.

Good find FOT. How does Carter lead a national team in rebounding and scoring in China and not a single blurb from our local press??? Here is the portion from the Kentucky article:

Global reach

Robby Speer returned last week from an around-the-world trip that included basketball tours of Turkey and China. His itinerary began on May 10 when he drove from his Campbellsville home to Louisville, where he caught a flight to Memphis. Then he flew to Amsterdam, Istanbul and Beijing.

As executive director of Sports Reach, Speer organizes basketball tours in foreign countries. In May, he led a women's team in Turkey and then a men's team in China.

Sports Reach uses basketball to share its belief in spiritual values.

"We can make a big impact in people when they see how we react to situations," Speer said. "It allows us to share things that are important to us."

Speer and former UK player Larry Pursiful began the program 25 years ago. The trip to China was Speer's 35th. By the way, he failed to cross paths with UK Coach John Calipari. Calipari arrived in China last Sunday. Speer's team departed on Monday. It's a big country.

Former Cat Alex Legion was among the players on the trip to China. He averaged 15.3 points and 6.4 rebounds. Legion also demonstrated a much-improved jump shot (39.1-percent from three-point range), Speer said.

Another player on the team was A.J. Slaughter of Western Kentucky. He averaged 11.6 points and 4.9 assists.

Minnesota's Paul Carter led the team in scoring (15.6 ppg) and rebounding (11.0 rpg).

The Sports Reach team finished the tour with a record of 4-3-1.

http://www.kentucky.com/232/story/821832-p2.html

Go Gophers!!

A brief mention of Carter in China for REACH USA

"Illinois' Alex Legion and Dominique Keller were on the eight-man roster, along with Southern Illinois' Carlton Fay, Minnesota's Paul Carter and Western Kentucky's A.J. Slaughter."

http://www.americanchronicle.com/articles/yb/131244825

Also here is a Google reference re Carter getting into foul trouble in China from an Illini Board.

http://news.google.com/news?um=1&ned=us&hl=en&q="paul+carter"+china+foul+trouble+

UNI ARTICLE BELOW

**** BTW --- UNI's Kwadzo Ahelegbe is from Tartan

UNI Guards Get a Look at China
June 08, 2009

By Matt Coss, Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, Iowa
Jun. 8--CEDAR FALLS -- For the past three weeks, University of Northern Iowa basketball players Kwadzo Ahelegbe and Ali Farokhmanesh have been inseparable.

"Normally, you'd think you'd want to choke somebody after 20 straight days," Farokhmanesh said, "and it wasn't like we were (not) together for that time. We were right next to each other for about every minute of those days."

Ahelegbe and Farokhmanesh were among eight players to represent Sports Reach Ministry on an exhibition tour in China that concluded last week. Reach USA, coached by Illinois director of basketball operations Sean Harrington, went 5-2-1 on the trip.

Illinois' Alex Legion and Dominique Keller were on the eight-man roster, along with Southern Illinois' Carlton Fay, Minnesota's Paul Carter and Western Kentucky's A.J. Slaughter.

"Sometimes it's difficult to play with a group of guys that you don't know, so you're a little uncertain of the role you're going to play," said Ahelegbe, a junior-to-be, "but we all got along and everybody was real unselfish."

In late April, UNI head coach Ben Jacobson received a phone call from former SIU assistant Rodney Watson, who said the team was in need of a point guard and combo guard.

After Jacobson contacted Ahelegbe and Farokhmanesh, the two jumped at the offer of an all-expense-paid trip.

"At first, I was extremely excited, but a little hesitant," said Farokhmanesh, a senior-to-be. "I didn't know if I wanted to be gone for that length of time. In the end, I'm glad I did it."

Meanwhile, the schedule and travel were grueling.

The team had to travel anywhere from four to five hours per day, by air and bus, to reach its next playing destination.

"They said it was like a professional basketball schedule, but I know professional basketball isn't like that," Farokhmanesh said. "We were getting like five hours of sleep a night.

"We definitely got mentally tougher from being over there."

The basketball was competitive. Each averaged close to 10 points and six assists per game.

"It was grown men, so they're going to compete," Ahelegbe said. "The pride factor is a little different because they're getting paid for it.

"Plus, there's a lot more freedom with the international game."

More so than the basketball, the trip allowed the two to experience a new culture. They visited the Great Wall of China and Terracotta Warriors.

"That's a once-in-a-lifetime thing," Farokhmanesh said. "The people were so nice over there."

The food left something to be desired.

"My stomach didn't handle the authentic Chinese food very well," Farokhmanesh said. "It was a strict rice and bread diet for a while."

However, Ahelegbe said the three weeks with Farokhmanesh was beneficial.

"He saved me a couple times on that trip," Ahelegbe said. "There were times when I was getting a little homesick, and Ali would slap me out of it.

"I definitely got to know my two-guard a lot better. For 20 days, we were like a couple."

SCHEDULING UPDATE: UNI is still looking for possibly two games to fill out its non-conference schedule for this coming winter. The Panthers will open the regular season Friday, Nov. 13, at Denver.

After that, UNI will play three games in the Paradise Jam at the U.S. Virgin Islands, starting with DePaul on Nov. 20. The Panthers' home opener won't be until Saturday, Nov. 28, but an opponent hasn't been determined.

"November 28 and December 5 are the two (open) dates right now," Jacobson said. "We want to get the 28th filled for sure."

Unlike past seasons, Jacobson said there is a chance the Panthers won't play a non-Division I opponent this season.

UNI has December home games against Iowa (Dec. 8), Siena (Dec. 12) and Wyoming (Dec. 23), along with road tilts at Iowa State (Dec. 2) and North Dakota (Dec. 19).

EXTENSION LOOMING?: Jacobson said "a lot of progress" has been made on a contract extension, but nothing has been finalized. Talks between Jacobson, the Missouri Valley Conference's Coach of the Year, and UNI athletic director Troy Dannen have been ongoing for more than two months.

"I hope to have something done here within two weeks," said Jacobson, who has the lowest base salary (approximately $150,000) of any men's basketball coach in the Valley at a public institution.

Has it taken longer than he anticipated?

"If you would have asked me that two months ago, my answer would be, 'Yes,'" he said. "Going through this for the first time at this length and talking to others that have gone through this, they've had the same type of experience.

"We want to have it put together the right way, and I feel good about the steps taken."

-----

To see more of the Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, or to subscribe to the newspaper, go to http://www.wcfcourier.com/.

Copyright (c) 2009, Waterloo-Cedar Falls Courier, Iowa

Distributed by McClatchy-Tribune Information Services.

For reprints, email [email protected], call 800-374-7985 or 847-635-6550, send a fax to 847-635-6968, or write to The Permissions Group Inc., 1247 Milwaukee Ave., Suite 303, Glenview, IL 60025, USA.

A service of YellowBrix, Inc.

===========================

Top Bottom