Paul Allen asks who wins Bison vs Gophers

Why are you here? Everything we say about NDSU is solely to rustle your and your peers feathers.

You have got to be the only fan base that tries to seek approval from other people after you win a championship. You just won your 4th straight title and you're on GopherHole. What is wrong with you? You guys should take after UW-Whitewater and enjoy your dynasty without being annoying.
Whitewater annoys the hell out of me! Last year they won the football, basketball and baseball titles!

Most of you, it seems, have no idea what you are talking about with regard to the levels of college football. If you want to belittle NDSU football, go ahead, but you don't need to sound like complete football idiots in the process. It might be beneath you, but the levels of college football are . . .

DI Subdivision-FBS max 85 MN
DI Subdivision-FCS max 63 NDSU
DII max 36 (NSIC max 28) MN State
DIII 0 St Thomas
NAIA ?? in MN, Jamestown University

I think that FCS & DII scholarships are not headcount scholarships, which means they can have partial scholarships.

NDSU might have 100 players sharing those 63 scholarships.

I think that FCS & DII scholarships are not headcount scholarships, which means they can have partial scholarships.

You are correct. D1 has to give full rides, FCS/DII can split up scholarships. I think it is common for NDSU/SDSU to offer either full rides or 50%.

Most of you, it seems, have no idea what you are talking about with regard to the levels of college football. If you want to belittle NDSU football, go ahead, but you don't need to sound like complete football idiots in the process. It might be beneath you, but the levels of college football are . . .

DI Subdivision-FBS max 85 MN
DI Subdivision-FCS max 63 NDSU
DII max 36 (NSIC max 28) MN State
DIII 0 St Thomas

We really aren't mocking NDSU. We're mocking arrogant Bison trolls. I congratulate NDSU on their win, but it is at a lower level of competition. You can crow about beating Minnesota twice, but remember, the Gophers were 1-11 and 3-9 those two years. They aren't now. Of course, if they played again, it's not guaranteed that Minnesota would win, but losing is a lot less likely that it was in 2007 and 2011.

It might not be fair, but when and FBS team plays an FCS team, the perception is no different whether you play a good FCS team or a terrible one.

Sent from my LG-L38C using Tapatalk 2

You are correct. D1 has to give full rides, FCS/DII can split up scholarships. I think it is common for NDSU/SDSU to offer either full rides or 50%.
As of 2013, this was not common. http://scholarshipstats.com/football.html NDSU gave out the maximum 63 scholarships to 65 players.

It might not be fair, but when and FBS team plays an FCS team, the perception is no different whether you play a good FCS team or a terrible one.

I think you might struggle to find a gopher fan who doesn't understand that NDSU is different than a terrible FCS team.

DI FBS 85 Schollarships all fulls
DI FCS 63 Total Scholarships can be issued to 85 players only in either Full or 1/2 Increments only.

So, a max of 85 players can be on scholarship at the FCS level, with some Full and others on 1/2 Scholarship.

I think you might struggle to find a gopher fan who doesn't understand that NDSU is different than a terrible FCS team.

While that's true, it's not what I said. What I was referring to was the national perception, not the perception of people on this message board. A good FCS team would probably give the Gophers more of a challenge than Kent State will, but Kent State would be perceived as a tougher opponent, unless people looked carefully.

While that's true, it's not what I said. What I was referring to was the national perception, not the perception of people on this message board. A good FCS team would probably give the Gophers more of a challenge than Kent State will, but Kent State would be perceived as a tougher opponent, unless people looked carefully.

These hypothetical fans who don't know anything about college football most likely don't know what division or conference North Dakota State or Kent State plays in.

These hypothetical fans who don't know anything about college football most likely don't know what division or conference North Dakota State or Kent State plays in.

Fyi . . . ndsu and kent state are both ncaa DI members.

Herd, AO54, etc.

All the Gopher, or at least most of them, fans are saying is "It's time to move up to FBS." Join the MWC. See how you would do against Boise, Colorado St, Utah St, & Fresno.

There was an in-game thread on reddit.com/r/cfb for the JV championship that the bison played in. There were a total of 664 posts in that thread.

In the same forum there was a thread for the Championship game last night. There were 10,715 posts in that one. Oh...this just in, that was just for the 1st quarter thread.
2nd Q - 7,028
Halftime thread - 1,998
3rd Q - 6,493
4th Q - 8,492

That is a total of 34,725 posts. NO ONE CARES about your team.

Herd, AO54, etc.

All the Gopher, or at least most of them, fans are saying is "It's time to move up to FBS." Join the MWC. See how you would do against Boise, Colorado St, Utah St, & Fresno.

NDSU must have missed their invite in the mail......
I wish football did have promotion/relegation or maybe a overall commissioner/committee to place teams in conferences like the MSHSL does.
That said, the FCS playoffs are a ton of fun. The games are usually competitive (except for 2013), unlike how Mount Union/Whitewater roll through the d3 playoffs most years.
The FargoDome is a little small for FBS. Might be 20 years before they want to replace it with something bigger, and going back outdoors is probably a bad idea in Fargo.
The population and fanbase are pretty small.

Even if you move to the Mountain West you're still only playing only 1 or 2 more games against P5 teams per year. I think they'll be content to wait and see if any further changes give them a better opening.

There was an in-game thread on reddit.com/r/cfb for the JV championship that the bison played in. There were a total of 664 posts in that thread.

In the same forum there was a thread for the Championship game last night. There were 10,715 posts in that one. Oh...this just in, that was just for the 1st quarter thread.
2nd Q - 7,028
Halftime thread - 1,998
3rd Q - 6,493
4th Q - 8,492

That is a total of 34,725 posts. NO ONE CARES about your team.
Pretty tough getting compared to the most watched program in cable television history!
http://awfulannouncing.com/2015/espn-scores-record-overnight-rating-cfp-national-championship.html

Gopher/Missouri in a bowl game that suffered from low ratings this year - had almost 4 times the posts as the JV championship game.

You know why? Because no one cares about the bison..
You and I have different definitions of "no one". Not even Herd claimed Bison football was more popular than a B1G bowl game. I thought the whole point was that "we're a small state with a small football program but we'll still go out and beat everybody we play".

Have to actually beat a quality opponent before you can claim you go and beat anybody. Iowa State is your signature win this year. They were a crappy team, that did not get up for a game with an FCS team and were the worst team in a weak P5 conference. Have NDSU play a full Mountain West Conference schedule, and they would be very lucky to go .500. That is the reality

Jamestown, Valley City, Dickinson and Mayville in North Dakota all play NAIA. I don't think there are any remaining NAIA schools in Minnesota. Some of the NSIC used to be, but I think even the UMAC (Crown, Martin Luther, St. Schloastica) play at the D3 level.

I don't think that schools at that level have scholarships officially.

However, a friends' daughter was recruited to play volleyball at that level, and it was made clear that the athletes at the school in question would be given whatever they needed "wink wink."

No, he's right. D2 isn't a good level of football. I think you're going to see more schools at that level drop football as you can't make money at it, and as a scholarship sport it causes huge title IX issues. And the NSIC has never been a power conference. They've had some good years lately, only because the real powerhouses have moved to FCS at this point. Before the NCC broke up, the NSIC rarely if even sent teams to the playoffs as they were always a tier below in terms of play as well as not issuing the max scholarships for D2.

So good for MSU, but other than NAIA, D2 football is the least important level of football. At least at D3, you have average kids playing for fun and since most are private schools, the kids seem to care more about going to games. D2 is primarily state schools where everyone leaves for the weekend and few care about the game, yet it costs a lot of money.

Oh, and Paul Allen is a jackwagon. Just so I'm on topic here.

I'm a little biased because I played D2 football, but I don't understand this part at all. Why would D2 kids not play for fun? Are you saying anyone who is receiving an athletic scholarship does it only for the money? Because most would make more money per hour by getting a part time job. Most at the D2 level get partial scholarships and many get less than half.

As for the attendance part, you're way off. In 2013, D2 games averaged 3,400 while D3 was at 2,008. St. John's is the only D3 team that averaged over 5,400 per game. There were 22 D2 teams that averaged at least that much with seven averaging over 9,000.

Your statement maybe be true in Minnesota but not overall.

I don't get the hate for lower levels sometimes. I love the Gophers but I would rather play football in college than be a student season ticket holder at the U no matter what level it is at. I got to experience something very few get to and I would do it all over again if I could.

I don't get the hate for lower levels sometimes. I love the Gophers but I would rather play football in college than be a student season ticket holder at the U no matter what level it is at. I got to experience something very few get to and I would do it all over again if I could.

And granted, Minnesota is my point of reference for D2 football. At least from my observation, the MIAC is a lot more popular than the NSIC, at least in terms of media coverage. Obviously that may differ elsewhere.

I've often said that St. Cloud and Mankato might do well to drop football and move up to D1, or at least move up and move football to FCS non-schlolarship like the Pioneer League.

What! A good Mountain West team could beat Nebraska at Nebraska? A good Mountain West team or NDSU could put up 24 on Ohio State? We live in two different realities - do you even watch the games?

This is funny, because a piss-poor FCS team came |-| that close to beating Nebraska at Nebraska, or is that just not relevant?

1. Paul Allen is a raving moron. Worst play by play man in the history of sports, and a class "D" radio personality.
2. The Gophers this and last year would have kicked the crap out of NDSU.
3. NDSU fans are some of the most insecure sports fans I have ever seen.
4. A good number of NDSU key players would never have been eligible for admission to a B1G school... which is why they end up in Fargo.
5. I've been to Fargo. I guess if I lived there I would be a fan too...it would be SOMETHING to do.

Clearly, since they try and belittle the Gophers as often as possible.... :blah:

Clearly, since they try and belittle the Gophers as often as possible.... :blah:

You should start this thread on bisonville and report back with the respect bizon fans show minnesota. I bet there would be zero attempts to belittle the gophers. If you do, I will open an account and post that I think the gophers would beat the bizon by a couple of tds...I bet they would be real respectful after that.

I really hope you're an NDSU fan making that comment. You're an NDSU fan right? Please be an NDSU fan.

Nope. SDSU grad. Although I think its splendid that the buffalo chips win with Minnesota kids, they have the most obnoxious fan base in college sports. I root against them from August to January (unfortunately).

Oh, and DII football really sucks. How many NSIC teams had winning records? 3? Out of about 24 teams? Do you know anything about Upper Iowa or U of Mary?

Oh. And how is Paul Allen on the air?

Nope. SDSU grad. Although I think its splendid that the buffalo chips win with Minnesota kids, they have the most obnoxious fan base in college sports. I root against them from August to January (unfortunately).

Oh, and DII football really sucks. How many NSIC teams had winning records? 3? Out of about 24 teams? Do you know anything about Upper Iowa or U of Mary?

Oh. And how is Paul Allen on the air?

1. The NSIC plays only conference games during the regular season so really the overall records don't prove anything.
2. Either way 7 of 16 teams finished with winning records. It's really not hard to do a little research before posting incorrect things like this.
3. You didn't mention any reasons why D2 football sucks.
4. Most people don't know anything about South Dakota, South Dakota St., or North Dakota.

I'm a little biased because I played D2 football, but I don't understand this part at all. Why would D2 kids not play for fun? Are you saying anyone who is receiving an athletic scholarship does it only for the money? Because most would make more money per hour by getting a part time job. Most at the D2 level get partial scholarships and many get less than half.

As for the attendance part, you're way off. In 2013, D2 games averaged 3,400 while D3 was at 2,008. St. John's is the only D3 team that averaged over 5,400 per game. There were 22 D2 teams that averaged at least that much with seven averaging over 9,000.

Love your post! I also played D2 football and it was the greatest experience of my life. I would have loved to played for the Gophers and would of if given the opportunity. The good lord didn't bless me with the size and skill required to be a Big Ten athlete. Saying DIII is comparable to DII is similar to saying NDSU would win the Big Ten next year.

Top Bottom