Pathetic... Gophers Women Lose to Winona State

Tell ya what....When Borton wins a national title, we'll cut her some slack. She went to the Final 4 with Oldfield/Frese's players and has done nothing since - except create a mass exodus of players from her program.

I just think they took em' way to lightly...there is no doubt in my mind if the gophers played them 9 more times they would win all of them.

Tom Izzo should've been fired immediately after they lost to Grand Valley State a couple of years ago. Jim Boeheim should be looking for a new job after losing to LeMoyne last night.

I'm not a Women's fan, but I do follow the program a bit. And the little bit that I do know is that Borton has been on the hot seat for at least the past year; Maximus, please keep your ignorant, incorrect opinion to yourself.

Tell ya what....When Borton wins a national title, we'll cut her some slack. She went to the Final 4 with Oldfield/Frese's players and has done nothing since - except create a mass exodus of players from her program.

Incorrect, Art. They were not "Oldfield/Frese's players". They were Cheryl Littlejohn's players. Frese coached one year with a very talented roster and then got the hell outta dodge.

In Big Ten play, Borton is 73-43, and 40-28 (76-50 overall) since McCarville graduated (2005). She is 11-7 in the Big Ten for two seasons running.

They will be very competitive again this year, most likely better than 11-7 in conference play. Someone please tell me again why she might be fired?

What's ignorant about it? Teams are much more likely to lose exhibition games than regular season games, as the D-I team is using it as a glorified practice, while for the D-II team, this is something that they will brag to their grandchildren about if they win.

She may be on the hot seat, but it is the regular season that will determine how hot that seat gets, not an exhibition game. It's valid to point out that even pretty good teams have lost exhibition games. Losing an exhibition game could be a sign of bad things for the regular season, or it could be meaningless.

It's a shame you can't give Tubby credit for his national title. Darn Pitino.

Gee, I didn't know how much Borton drove the program into the crapper. Only led the team to the postseason in every season. Led the team to six of the program's eight total NCAA tourney appearances. Been to two sweet 16s and a final four. Winning record in the Big Ten in all but one of her seven seasons. Actually won an NCAA tourney game on Notre Dame's home court last year. 22-14 in the Big Ten the past two seasons.

I just think they took em' way to lightly...there is no doubt in my mind if the gophers played them 9 more times they would win all of them.

Agreed. With that said, Winona State won 25 games last season playing in a excellent Division II conference that houses defending national champion Minnesota State.

It's a shame you can't give Tubby credit for his national title. Darn Pitino.

Gee, I didn't know how much Borton drove the program into the crapper. Only led the team to the postseason in every season. Led the team to six of the program's eight total NCAA tourney appearances. Been to two sweet 16s and a final four. Winning record in the Big Ten in all but one of her seven seasons. Actually won an NCAA tourney game on Notre Dame's home court last year. 22-14 in the Big Ten the past two seasons.

Please...

Quit using logic. You can prove anything with facts.

Honestly, I really don't have as many reservations about the job Borton has done as many others. For the most part, the team has been a consistent winner under her. Have there been times where I would have liked more? Absolutely, but that's how most fans feel about their respective coaches. The ladies have been an upper-tier Big Ten program under her for several years now. Obviously, losing at home to Winona State isn't exactly what the doctor ordered. But her teams win 20 games almost every year and almost always get into the NCAAs. As a result, I'm not ready to call for her head just yet.

What's ignorant about it? Teams are much more likely to lose exhibition games than regular season games, as the D-I team is using it as a glorified practice, while for the D-II team, this is something that they will brag to their grandchildren about if they win.

She may be on the hot seat, but it is the regular season that will determine how hot that seat gets, not an exhibition game. It's valid to point out that even pretty good teams have lost exhibition games. Losing an exhibition game could be a sign of bad things for the regular season, or it could be meaningless.

It's ignorant in that, Boeheim and Izzo have never been on the hot seat the way Borton has. She's lost recruits, had a revolving door of players in and out of the program, and her results are just now catching up to her on the court.

We know after one exhibition game that the results are catching up with her on the court? How about letting a few games get played that count first?

it would seem to me that pam borton in a way has been able to hide her rather mediocre results and poor relationship with players within the rather large shadow cast by one mr. orlando tubby smith since he came to minneapolis 3 years ago.

just sayin'

I guess i thought beating Notre Dame in the first round last year in the NCAA's would of put a stop to the constant Borton bashing, but I guess I was wrong. While she certainly has some faults, her job is more than safe. I wonder how many games the people who want her replaced actually go to a year, my guess would be very few.

Losing to Winona in an exhibition was certainly an unforgivable sin for Monson.

it would seem to me that pam borton in a way has been able to hide her rather mediocre results and poor relationship with players within the rather large shadow cast by one mr. orlando tubby smith since he came to minneapolis 3 years ago.

just sayin'

Tubby's first year Borton was 20-12. Went to NCAA, lost to Texas
Tubby's second year Borton was 20-12. Went to NCAA, beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame, lost to Texas A & M
As Maximus said, 22-14 in the Big 10 over the last two years.
She's not going to win a national championship, but she's doing fine.
You're spreading yourself way too thin, Bronko, commenting on Borton. Stick to ranting about the Tribune. You're much more entertaining doing that.
just sayin'

She's lost recruits

She's made mistakes like letting Jenna Smith go to Illinois but there was no way Tayler Hill was coming to Minnesota which I assume is the recruit you're talking about. Just like Michael Floyd going to Notre Dame or what is probably going to happen with Henderson. Some kids just want a bigger stage.

[/QUOTE]had a revolving door of players in and out of the program,[/QUOTE]

She had the mass exodus four years ago but there're a lot of different opinions about how much was Borton's fault. I think the two mistakes she made that year were letting Brobeck back on the team and sticking with a hard working but less talented group of seniors instead of giving time to more talented younger players. The first mistake, from most accounts, made it year of constant tension and bickering. The second mistake caused Lacey and Davis to transfer. Podomonik wasn't having any fun and decided to concentrate on track. Williams then bailed because the team wasn't going to be any good. Borton still coached them to a .500 record the next year despite losing all of that talent. In the three years since then, Breanna Salley left in a weird way to join her sister in a religous group out West. She did play for Seattle U last year and she was a real loss. Korrine Campbell transfered by mutual agreement two years ago. Lots of talent but no loss. Nobody left last year. Brenda Frese even had 3 players transfer off the Maryland team last year so it happens to everyone.

[/QUOTE]and her results are just now catching up to her on the court.[/QUOTE]

If you actually look at what was posted earlier, Borton's record is pretty decent. Unless something really unforeseen happens, nobody is going to beat Ohio State this year (or next, unfortunately.)
We've got a chance at second because we do very well against Michigan State but it should be between us and Purdue for 3d and 4th.

She got 2 big kids with a lot of potential and 2 guards with talent as recruits this year. I think
she's already got a decent class committed for next year. Her players play hard and seem to really support each other so unless you're really connected, I don't think anyone really knows what Borton's relationship with the players is.

Most people who actually go to the women's games are satisfied with Borton although she certainly has her critics. My main complaint with Borton is that she doesn't seem to value the kid who can shoot in recruiting; she seems to recruit kids more for their defense. I think that's why the team sometimes loses games they really shouldn't because they have some brutal shooting nights.

That's what happened against Winona State. Other than Buford, we shot like crap; Winona State was really hot on the 3-point shots (around 50%); our players weren't very intense; it was probably a game Winona State was aiming for since they saw the schedule the way their kids came off the bench on the winning last second shot. Minnesota should have won, but that doesn't mean we should hang it up because they didn't.

Sorry for the long post; I wasn't going to get into this thread. I've split season tickets since jumping on the bandwagon Whalen's junior year. You can totally ignore the women, that's fine, but if you're going to criticize at least show some basic knowledge.

Tubby's first year Borton was 20-12. Went to NCAA, lost to Texas
Tubby's second year Borton was 20-12. Went to NCAA, beat Notre Dame at Notre Dame, lost to Texas A & M
As Maximus said, 22-14 in the Big 10 over the last two years.
She's not going to win a national championship, but she's doing fine.
You're spreading yourself way too thin, Bronko, commenting on Borton. Stick to ranting about the Tribune. You're much more entertaining doing that.
just sayin'

She's made mistakes like letting Jenna Smith go to Illinois but there was no way Tayler Hill was coming to Minnesota which I assume is the recruit you're talking about. Just like Michael Floyd going to Notre Dame or what is probably going to happen with Henderson. Some kids just want a bigger stage.
had a revolving door of players in and out of the program,[/QUOTE]

She had the mass exodus four years ago but there're a lot of different opinions about how much was Borton's fault. I think the two mistakes she made that year were letting Brobeck back on the team and sticking with a hard working but less talented group of seniors instead of giving time to more talented younger players. The first mistake, from most accounts, made it year of constant tension and bickering. The second mistake caused Lacey and Davis to transfer. Podomonik wasn't having any fun and decided to concentrate on track. Williams then bailed because the team wasn't going to be any good. Borton still coached them to a .500 record the next year despite losing all of that talent. In the three years since then, Breanna Salley left in a weird way to join her sister in a religous group out West. She did play for Seattle U last year and she was a real loss. Korrine Campbell transfered by mutual agreement two years ago. Lots of talent but no loss. Nobody left last year. Brenda Frese even had 3 players transfer off the Maryland team last year so it happens to everyone.

[/QUOTE]and her results are just now catching up to her on the court.[/QUOTE]

If you actually look at what was posted earlier, Borton's record is pretty decent. Unless something really unforeseen happens, nobody is going to beat Ohio State this year (or next, unfortunately.)
We've got a chance at second because we do very well against Michigan State but it should be between us and Purdue for 3d and 4th.

She got 2 big kids with a lot of potential and 2 guards with talent as recruits this year. I think
she's already got a decent class committed for next year. Her players play hard and seem to really support each other so unless you're really connected, I don't think anyone really knows what Borton's relationship with the players is.

Most people who actually go to the women's games are satisfied with Borton although she certainly has her critics. My main complaint with Borton is that she doesn't seem to value the kid who can shoot in recruiting; she seems to recruit kids more for their defense. I think that's why the team sometimes loses games they really shouldn't because they have some brutal shooting nights.

That's what happened against Winona State. Other than Buford, we shot like crap; Winona State was really hot on the 3-point shots (around 50%); our players weren't very intense; it was probably a game Winona State was aiming for since they saw the schedule the way their kids came off the bench on the winning last second shot. Minnesota should have won, but that doesn't mean we should hang it up because they didn't.

Sorry for the long post; I wasn't going to get into this thread. I've split season tickets since jumping on the bandwagon Whalen's junior year. You can totally ignore the women, that's fine, but if you're going to criticize at least show some basic knowledge.[/QUOTE]

nah, that's all right smart-guy. i think i will continue to comment on pam borton's suckitude as a women's b-ball coach.

[/QUOTE]

nah, that's all right smart-guy. i think i will continue to comment on pam borton's suckitude as a women's b-ball coach.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that's a surprise, Bronko. So unlike you. How about if I try to convince you not to comment by quoting Mark Twain?

"it is beter to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"

Top Bottom