Pat Forde: America, Realigned: A Radical Reimagining of the NCAA Landscape (The Great Midwest Conf: uw, MN, Missouri, NDSU, Kansas, etc.)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Forde:

THE GREAT MIDWEST CONFERENCE
SCHOOLFBS PROFILE RANKNON-CON OPPONENT
Wisconsin7Michigan State
Minnesota21Michigan
IowaT-22Purdue
Iowa StateT-49Oklahoma State
Nebraska56Oklahoma
MissouriT-58Illinois
Kansas State66TCU
North Dakota State68Colorado State
Kansas82Colorado
Western Michigan93Toledo
Central Michigan98Northern Illinois
Eastern Michigan112Ball State

Go Gophers!!

Well I guess we would actually have a good shot at winning the conference

That is a sucky conference.

Folks always do this and put a lot of emphasis on geography, and geography matters but playing every Michigan team is just stupid....

For best Regional Fit, move Western, Central and Eastern MI . . . Replace with NIU, IL, and NW.

Too much money in the Big Ten Conference... There's no way that's getting broke up. I guess I could see additions to the conference, though. Missouri and Iowa State, for example, could join. I don't know if the Kansas schools are a good fit, though.

Too much money in the Big Ten Conference... There's no way that's getting broke up. I guess I could see additions to the conference, though. Missouri and Iowa State, for example, could join. I don't know if the Kansas schools are a good fit, though.
Forde’s entire point (and you agree I see), there’s too much money in P5 conferences, in few franchises. This spreads football money to 120 teams instead of 60. This would be more like the NFL model where the Entire league is emphasized over the individual franchises related to tv money. Instead of killing off the G5 (Happening, just a matter of time), the G5 would be blended in and lifted up. College football money, talent, resources would be shared/blended to the many, not hoarded by a few. Many more teams would have the opportunity for success (recruiting, winning, financial). All of college FB would be lifted, not the few. Forde’s entire point.

Last edited:

For best Regional Fit, move Western, Central and Eastern MI . . . Replace with NIU, IL, and NW.
I was thinking get rid of those MI schools and replace with the South Dakota schools and jokingly St. Thomas.

We all know this isn't going to happen, so it's fun to speculate.

Forde’s entire point (and you agree I see)
Too much money to mess with them. The conference members would never do anything to kill the golden goose. The Amazing Kreskin, you sure aren't. I agree you see... not much, I guess.

Too much money to mess with them. The conference members would never do anything to kill the golden goose. The Amazing Kreskin, you sure aren't. I agree you see... not much, I guess.

The golden goose would still exist, but everyone would eat dinner, ala the nfl model. The G5 would eat dinner, rather than waiting under the table for scraps to fall. Not my article, just trying to explain his point, which is a very strong point if you are a fan of college FB, want to see the whole of college FB succeed.

I could see something like this if college sports does an entire reboot.

The golden goose would still exist, but everyone would eat dinner, ala the nfl model. The G5 would eat dinner, rather than waiting under the table for scraps to fall. Not my article, just trying to explain his point, which is a very strong point if you are a fan of college FB, want to see the whole of college FB succeed.
Someone sounds jealous.

Although I don't like it, I could live with most of this. The exception is the Michigan directional schools. Let them live in the shadow of Meatchicken and MSU. We can find some better candidates in the real Midwest. St Thomas, SDSU, and Northwestern, for instance.

Stupid article, presented on an even dumber platform.

SI's website is the absolute worst

doesnt interest me in the least.

What!? No St. Thomas!? Can't Glenn Caruso out-coach any Big 10 coach in his sleep? Aren't they so good that no one else wants to play them? I have also been led to believe that if they played in TCF fans would be falling out of the stadium because it would be so full.

What!? No St. Thomas!? Can't Glenn Caruso out-coach any Big 10 coach in his sleep? Aren't they so good that no one else wants to play them? I have also been led to believe that if they played in TCF fans would be falling out of the stadium because it would be so full.
What am i going to do with all the St. Thomas gear I bought!!?!?!?!

doesnt interest me in the least.
Ya it's probably easier to ride Ohio State/MI coattails for the B1G payout, than actually being looked to for leadership in a new conf where you'd have a lot better chance to be in the national championship discussion. Probably better to destroy the MAC and MWC than help them in any way. I get it.

Ya it's probably easier to ride Ohio State/MI coattails for the B1G payout, than actually being looked to for leadership in a new conf where you'd have a lot better chance to be in the national championship discussion. Probably better to destroy the MAC and MWC than help them in any way. I get it.

You sure are a strange fellow.

I have no interest in getting rid of the B1G or leaving the B1G.

I also don't feel leaving the B1G help to a lesser conference would help the Gophers become national champs.

MAC/MWC I don't have anything against them. They'll be just fine

But then it would have looked like...the Big Ten West.

The only way the Big Ten will every break up, is if the P5 teams get together and create some super alliance/conference, with an NFL-sized TV contract and say 14-16 regular season games against each other. Even then, they may still stay in the current confs. Or maybe would do some shuffling.

As an Iowa fan it's not bad, as my fandom slides more to you guys, i don't like it as a Minnesota fan. Money wise it sucks from both sides.

Top Bottom