Parking suggestions for August 29th...

GopherFBfan

Reaction score
I have never parked near the stadium as I've always parked at the fairgrounds and taken a shuttle over. Since they aren't running a shuttle from the fairgrounds, where would some of you recommend I park for the game? Would you suggest that I get there by 2:00? My wife is attending her first game with me and I want this to be a positive experience for her. I would like to park somewhat close to the stadium if possible to avoid a long walk. She reluctantly agreed to go to the game if I agreed to go to the fair with her beforehand. So...we will be coming up from the fair! Any tips would be appreciated!

I have never parked near the stadium as I've always parked at the fairgrounds and taken a shuttle over. Since they aren't running a shuttle from the fairgrounds, where would some of you recommend I park for the game? Would you suggest that I get there by 2:00? My wife is attending her first game with me and I want this to be a positive experience for her. I would like to park somewhat close to the stadium if possible to avoid a long walk. She reluctantly agreed to go to the game if I agreed to go to the fair with her beforehand. So...we will be coming up from the fair! Any tips would be appreciated!

From what I've read on this board the east river flats is supposed to be a good experience.

I've read the same, but parking a mile away won't impress her very much after walking around at the fair all day! I may have to look into a bus route that picks up at the fair and drops off at the stadium.

GopherFBfan said:
I've read the same, but parking a mile away won't impress her very much after walking around at the fair all day! I may have to look into a bus route that picks up at the fair and drops off at the stadium.

East River Flats is talked about for tailgating purposes, but if you aren't tailgating, you could park in a ramp (4th Street or Oak?) But I've heard that, while you may save some walking, you will be stuck waiting to get out of the ramp and down University Ave for a while.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_Park,_Minneapolis

Park on or near University Avenue, East of KSTP, then catch the University Avenue bus(Route 16?). You can try driving closer since you are aiming for 2pm and the game starts at 6?, but you will be very lucky to find a non meter spot. Maybe near Prospect park.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prospect_Park,_Minneapolis

I park on 18th ave se south of como. I then join in a backyard for some grilling.

If you're that worried about making her walk, why not just drop her off? Plenty for her to see while waiting for you to park.

Here's an idea, take her to Jax and take the shuttle.

If you're that worried about making her walk, why not just drop her off? Plenty for her to see while waiting for you to park.

I'm actually leaning towards selling the tickets now. I just don't see how it will be possible to make this a good experience for her and that is my number one goal. I want her to have fun so she will go again. Had the shuttle been running from the fairgrounds to the stadium, it would be a non issue. We could have stayed at the fair until an hour before the game started, hopped on the shuttle and got there with time to spare. After I found out the shuttle wasn't operating that day and told her we'd have to leave the fair by 3:00 at the latest to get a place to park, she wasn't real happy. They should have had the shuttle running someway, somehow. It would have been a perfect opportunity to get people that don't normally go to games into the stadium.

So the normal state fair shuttle, for people parking at the U to go to the fair, isn't running?

That's crazy.

Anyway you could bike to and from the fair and park at the U. Really an easy ride thanks to the new dinkytown green way.

So the normal state fair shuttle, for people parking at the U to go to the fair, isn't running?

That's crazy.

Anyway you could bike to and from the and park at the U. Really an easy ride thanks to the new dinkytown green way.

The shuttle for people attending the fair will have a shuttle from the U every day except gameday if I looked at it correctly. The day of the game, the lots near the stadium will be closed to fairgoers. I'm not taking about the state fair shuttle though. I'm referring to the shuttle that normally brings people from the fairgounds lot to the stadium.

The shuttle for people attending the fair will have a shuttle from the U every day except gameday if I looked at it correctly. The day of the game, the lots near the stadium will be closed to fairgoers. I'm not taking about the state fair shuttle though. I'm referring to the shuttle that normally brings people from the fairgounds lot to the stadium.

Right.

Well if you guys can bike from somewhere near the U, it would be about a 10-20 minute bike ride, and might be worth looking into.

http://www.mnstatefair.org/general_info/visitor_guide/Bikes.html

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=...+Bank+Stad&t=h&dirflg=b&mra=ltm&z=14&lci=bike

I'm actually leaning towards selling the tickets now. I just don't see how it will be possible to make this a good experience for her and that is my number one goal. I want her to have fun so she will go again. Had the shuttle been running from the fairgrounds to the stadium, it would be a non issue. We could have stayed at the fair until an hour before the game started, hopped on the shuttle and got there with time to spare. After I found out the shuttle wasn't operating that day and told her we'd have to leave the fair by 3:00 at the latest to get a place to park, she wasn't real happy. They should have had the shuttle running someway, somehow. It would have been a perfect opportunity to get people that don't normally go to games into the stadium.
You don't have to leave by 3. There are plenty of spaces to park if you're willing to walk more than a half-mile (free if willing to walk a mile), and since you're going to the fair, I'm willing to bet you're ready to walk. You can make it the 4 miles from the fair to park in less than a half-hour. If you want a guarantee, just take Como and park north of the tracks.

Thanks for the options folks. I wasn't aware of some of the private shuttles. I will definitely look into those. I doubt that after walking around from 6 am to 2 pm at the fair that I'm going to want to walk too much more than I have to! I'm getting old!

One additional benefit to these private shuttles, is you are parking far from Ground Zero. The traffic is no problem getting home. I dropped a note on the debacle of the 29th, making one recommendation that The U, or the Athletic Department should link all these shuttles in on place so any fan could find it.

Top Bottom