Parker Fox

Bayfieldgopher

Reaction score
There has been some comments that Fox may play yet this season. Time will tell on that one.

But if he does, what are the thoughts on how BJ will use him and who gives up minutes in Fox's favor?

Fox is a very interesting player and is listed 6/8 forward at 210 lbs. His film showed he is talented, very athletic and improved greatly from a frosh. His stats show good FG%, not good from 3 land or FT, a very good shot blocker and led team on the boards. But what are his other skills?

He seems to fit the same mold and position as Battle and Ihnen. Assuming Battle has the advantage, Fox can obviously can give him a breather. Would Stephens play less? Having Fox and Battle out there could cause some D headaches for a lot of teams. And also improve out rebounding. Could he also spell Curry and hold his own on D?

My guess is he initially takes Daniels minutes + some from Curry and a few from Battle (who's basically playing 40 mpg.) A big line-up with Battle, Fox and Curry could be interesting but I'm not sure there's enough ball handling there.

There has been some comments that Fox may play yet this season. Time will tell on that one.

But if he does, what are the thoughts on how BJ will use him and who gives up minutes in Fox's favor?

Fox is a very interesting player and is listed 6/8 forward at 210 lbs. His film showed he is talented, very athletic and improved greatly from a frosh. His stats show good FG%, not good from 3 land or FT, a very good shot blocker and led team on the boards. But what are his other skills?

He seems to fit the same mold and position as Battle and Ihnen. Assuming Battle has the advantage, Fox can obviously can give him a breather. Would Stephens play less? Having Fox and Battle out there could cause some D headaches for a lot of teams. And also improve out rebounding. Could he also spell Curry and hold his own on D?
the best way to describe Fox. He is what we hoped Jarvis Omersa would turn into. If he plays this year, probably 10-15 a game tops, don't think he's have enough time to work into a 25-30 minute situation, next year I expect him to start. I think between battle, Fox, Ihnen and JOJ we should have the three and four spots covered next year

How is JOJ doing? I heard the Gophers were not real happy he left (kinda) the first Prep School… I heard he might be 8th man at the new school. Any stats?

How is JOJ doing? I heard the Gophers were not real happy he left (kinda) the first Prep School… I heard he might be 8th man at the new school. Any stats?
az compass prep isn't quite img or prolific, but it is stacked. on 247 they have 5 players ranked ahead of JOJ in the 2022 class plus they have two from the top 11 in the 2023 class.

Last edited:

I'm really hoping that we don't see any two of Fox, Curry, and Daniels on the floor at the same time too much. It'll likely be necessary this year to give Battle a break. However, I really hope that Ben sees Battle as a 4 and Fox will take time from Curry/Daniels.

When did Fox tear his ACL? My guess is sometime in early to mid April. The quickest return I've ever heard of was Adrian Peterson. That was ten months. Everybody else is somewhere around a year. Generally it takes a few weeks after the return for the player to work back up to a full game load. Let's say Fox is as super human as Peterson. That means he's ready for a few minutes of game action in early February and his full role in the rotation some time around 3/1. Just in time for the B1G tournament. Doesn't make sense.

When did Fox tear his ACL? My guess is sometime in early to mid April. The quickest return I've ever heard of was Adrian Peterson. That was ten months. Everybody else is somewhere around a year. Generally it takes a few weeks after the return for the player to work back up to a full game load. Let's say Fox is as super human as Peterson. That means he's ready for a few minutes of game action in early February and his full role in the rotation some time around 3/1. Just in time for the B1G tournament. Doesn't make sense.
surgery was april 28.

in early June this article suggested he'd be out 6-9 months.

Maybe surgical techniques have really advanced in the last ten years.
i think maybe its just because he's superman. In the article Parker says he didn't have much pain from the injury, "just didn't feel right"

Can he play a limited number of games without losing current year eligibility?

They really have for ACL injuries. A lot of it just depends on the person and how severe the injury as well.

A friend of mine just had acl surgery a few weeks ago. He's walking around with just a brace, and feels pretty good already. They said he'd likely be able to do pretty much any activity by next summer, roughly 6 months after the surgery.

Now he's not playing D1 sports, but he's not going to rehab like a D1 athlete either. 6-9 months seems very reasonable for Fox.

It is real hard to find much of anything on the team stats or JOJ. They did real well in the HoopHall classic west just recently. https://twitter.com/AZCompass_Prep
I didn't see him mentioned in the highlight clips they posted of the later games but he is in a couple of parts of the highlights of the first game. He picks a teammate off the floor, gets scored over and then makes a nice three pointer from the baseline. He is not listed in the top scorers of team for that game.

The 1 year time frame is "old school" as they say. I tore mine in the early 90's and was told a year. Surgery was early September and I could have been cleared to play baseball in mid-April, but mentally I did not want to chance it.

You are correct that the surgical techniques have advanced quite a bit. The physical therapy has advanced considerably, too. Couple that with top-notch nutrition and around the clock care available for these athletes, the recovery window has shrunk. The hardest part is still the mental hurdle for a lot of athletes.

I still remember my orthopedic surgeon telling me that if he could talk to God about one design change in the human body, the knee joint would be it. :)

Why just preserve his year of eligibility? Or not?

Per Dan Barreiro: "Johnson admitted that they cannot get through the B1G season playing 6 or 7 guys per game. basically said that the bench players are working hard in practice and they will be relied on to play more minutes as the season goes forward. stressed the point that no one is upset at the lack of minutes so far - everyone has bought in, understands what the coaches want and need from them to earn playing time, and people should expect to see the bench get more involved."

Get that grad degree and have fun doing what you are passionate about playing basketball at D1 level.

Yeah, I can live with that hardship.

The 1 year time frame is "old school" as they say. I tore mine in the early 90's and was told a year. Surgery was early September and I could have been cleared to play baseball in mid-April, but mentally I did not want to chance it.

You are correct that the surgical techniques have advanced quite a bit. The physical therapy has advanced considerably, too. Couple that with top-notch nutrition and around the clock care available for these athletes, the recovery window has shrunk. The hardest part is still the mental hurdle for a lot of athletes.

I still remember my orthopedic surgeon telling me that if he could talk to God about one design change in the human body, the knee joint would be it. :)
I know exactly what you mean. I had major knee surgery three months ago. I'm not an athlete, just a guy who wants to be able to run again. I had a great surgeon and I have an excellent PT. The rehab is a grind but my progress has been ahead of schedule and measurable week to week. Last week I tweeked my knee by being too aggressive and now I don't want to do anything until the surgeon can work me in and tell me I'm going to be ok--or I was an idiot by doing too much and reinjuring it. My knee is now in my brain. I don't trust it, which is the real setback. I'm hoping that my brain is a bigger problem than my knee at this point.

They really have for ACL injuries. A lot of it just depends on the person and how severe the injury as well.

A friend of mine just had acl surgery a few weeks ago. He's walking around with just a brace, and feels pretty good already. They said he'd likely be able to do pretty much any activity by next summer, roughly 6 months after the surgery.

Now he's not playing D1 sports, but he's not going to rehab like a D1 athlete either. 6-9 months seems very reasonable for Fox.
That's good to know. I was still assuming it was around a year.

I'd say if Parker is healthy and ready in January, I don't see Ben keeping him for playing. I think only if Parker sees value in sitting out the year and/or the season falls off the cliff would be the only driving forces behind him redshirting.

would imagine if he's close, Ben just asks him what he wants and if a RS year versus coming back for limited minutes is what Fox wants to do.

Even if Fox isn't ready until Feb 1st, he'd still be available for half of our conference games plus the BTT and any postseason play.

From what I've heard, odds are strong he'll be playing later this season.

This article claims that it could be 6-8 games. Two years ago it was 30% of the games I believe....

This article claims that it could be 6-8 games. Two years ago it was 30% of the games I believe....
Seems unlikely NCAA approves this change mid-season. Past NCAA changes have shown it goes into effect for the upcoming season (i.e. 2022-2023). If Parker Fox plays 6 to 8 games during 2021-2022 it is unlikely his redshirt is allowed retroactively and a large gamble over a full season of eligibility.

parker redshirted his freshman year at northern state

Seems unlikely NCAA approves this change mid-season. Past NCAA changes have shown it goes into effect for the upcoming season (i.e. 2022-2023). If Parker Fox plays 6 to 8 games during 2021-2022 it is unlikely his redshirt is allowed retroactively and a large gamble over a full season of eligibility.
He might win an appeal if he truly only plays in 6-8 games, but at that point I think it would be an unwise gamble. If he can make it back by January 15th or so, I hope he plays. If not, take the extra year.

This would be a medical redshirt exemption so I don't think that matters?
guessing he would need a sixth year waiver (seventh year?) to play two more years if he doesn't play this year. not sure i trust the NCAA's magic 8 ball on gopher waivers.

guessing he would need a sixth year waiver (seventh year?) to play two more years if he doesn't play this year. not sure i trust the NCAA's magic 8 ball on gopher waivers.
If he doesn't play at all, I think the waiver is a given. I share your paranoia about the NCAA magic 8 ball, except they seem to have mostly given up and waived the white flag on this stuff now.

Top Bottom