Pain scale/thoughts on the overall impact of the game

Last night's game was so bad, I couldn't watch any college football recaps on ESPN because I didn't want to see our game recapped.

I am over it now though, I just wanted to hear Claeys admit he made a mistake by not having the QB spike the ball.

He said on WCCO today that he should have spiked it.

Last night isn't even in the same league as '03. Anyone who thinks it is wasn't there or very invested in the Gophers at that time. You may want to think it was as bad so you can be part of it, but it ain't even close.

2003/2015

Last night isn't even in the same league as '03. Anyone who thinks it is wasn't there or very invested in the Gophers at that time. You may want to think it was as bad so you can be part of it, but it ain't even close.

They both hurt really bad. In 2003 I thought the Gophers were going to win from the 2nd through the 3rd Quarters. This game it was just for a few seconds until the video review was complete.

I've been going to Gopher games since 1978 and this was the 10th time I've seen the battle for the Jug in person. Still ofer.

Sure the ramifications of the 2003 game were greater, but the emotions of this week make it sting pretty bad.

I didn't expect us to win. I thought we had a shot, but based off of everything I had seen this year, I didn't think we'd pull it off. This game hurt so much because we were so close to finally winning The Jug at home and winning for Coach Kill. I definitely think we can build off of this, but that doesn't change the fact that when the Michigan players ran on the field after the final whistle, my heart sunk.

What makes this one bad for me is the range of emotions at the end. Pure joy and excitement to anger and disappointment within minutes.

One of the worst aspects for me was the 20 something in front of me who proudly proclaimed he was from Apple Valley and went to the U. He was dressed head to toe in Michigan gear.

I agree the '03 was the biggest heartache I have felt since starting to go to games 24 years ago, but it has been 12 years and I thought I put it behind me. This game was another nut punch that brought back all of the emotions of '03.

One step forward, two steps backwards!

It was a brutal loss for so many reasons, but consider yourself extremely fortunate (as a Gopher fan, so it's relative) that this loss rates that highly on your pain scale. As I shared in a email to a friend this weekend, my first memory of going to a game was against Iowa at the Dome. The Gophers had the lead and Iowa attempted a last second field goal for the win, they missed it. Unfortunately, their was a flag on the field and the Gophers were called for too many men. I am sure you know how the game ended.

What's amazing to me is that many fans have become so accustomed to the horror of Gopher "pain scale" losses that they have lost sight on just how improbable these losses are. I read on Twitter (and possibly here) several thoughts about how the last sequence was a "coin flip" and similar statements to suggest the game was highly in doubt. The sad truth is the Gophers were well over 90% favorites to win that game at the 1/2 yard line with 19 seconds left in the game and a timeout in their pocket. It's the type of loss that other fan bases may experience once a decade while Gopher fans have had it happen multiple times in the same season over the past 15 years.

It was a brutal loss for so many reasons, but consider yourself extremely fortunate (as a Gopher fan, so it's relative) that this loss rates that highly on your pain scale. As I shared in a email to a friend this weekend, my first memory of going to a game was against Iowa at the Dome. The Gophers had the lead and Iowa attempted a last second field goal for the win, they missed it. Unfortunately, their was a flag on the field and the Gophers were called for too many men. I am sure you know how the game ended.

What's amazing to me is that many fans have become so accustomed to the horror of Gopher "pain scale" losses that they have lost sight on just how improbable these losses are. I read on Twitter (and possibly here) several thoughts about how the last sequence was a "coin flip" and similar statements to suggest the game was highly in doubt. The sad truth is the Gophers were well over 90% favorites to win that game at the 1/2 yard line with 19 seconds left in the game and a timeout in their pocket. It's the type of loss that other fan bases may experience once a decade while Gopher fans have had it happen multiple times in the same season over the past 15 years.

That didn't help at all.jpg

I think the game is high on the pain scale. It isn't quite up there with 2003 but it's close and I'll tell you why.

I started following the Gophers during the Lou Holtz era and the first game I attended was the 1987 game against Michigan. It was the year after we won the Jug. My first ever experience watching the Gophers was losing the Jug. I hated it. If you watched college football during the 70's-90's Michigan was always a top dog. The Axe and Floyd are great but if you could win the Jug...that was extra special. It means you were a national factor. For me growing up, the first game I would look at on the schedule was Michigan. I wanted the Little Brown Jug...I consider it the second best trophy in all of college football (behind the Heisman).

I'm 38 years old and been a season ticket holder since 1996. The last time we beat Michigan at home was the year I was born. I've never seen us beat Michigan in person. The most coveted trophy (IMHO) that we have...and I've never had the joy of seeing us celebrate with it in person. When it appeared that we scored the TD with 19 seconds left, I never jumped so high and cheered so loudly at a live sporting event in my life. We were going to do it! We were going to beat Michigan! Sure, it didn't have the implications that the 2003 game did....but the sudden burst of joy from the the crowd was deafening and came on the heels of such an emotional week for the program.

To have that joy yanked from you a minute later is gut wrenching. Michigan is not on our home schedule until AT LEAST 2020 (but that year isn't out yet). I'll be 43 then and will STILL have not yet seen us beat Michigan in person.

To me the PAIN threshold is MUCH worse losing 49-7 to Michigan or 56-0 to any Big Ten Team. I guess my pain threshold is geared toward feeling much more pain when my Gopher team does not even belong on the same field as a Michigan... Quite frankly, I have NO sympathy for anyone who whines about losing a "so-called-heartbreaker..." to a team that has a history of beating the CRAP out of your team. I'm DAMN proud to have witnessed a game in which my Gopher Football team goes toe to toe...head to head and either beats that team or all but beats them. Then I KNOW that I have seen a game played the way it was supposed to be played....rival vs rival...if it's a win...it's incredible...and if it's a loss sure it hurts like hell and I will always remember it...just like I will always remember the wins against a Michigan. There haven't been many...and I will always remember that 2003 game...and then the 2004 game in Ann Arbor...once again a hard fought close loss....and I went back to Ann Arbor and saw THE win in 2005. But, shouldn't a rivalry game be remembered because of EXACTLY how exciting, painful, remarkable and how proud and ALIVE it made me feel. Hell, I HATE blow out losses and LOVE CLOSE...hard played games...even if they break my heart. I can take that. I just HATE not even showing up. THAT is the most difficult thing for me. I want my team to play itself proud win or lose. I want to feel a GREAT win OR a GREAT loss forever. I want to take those with me when my time is all over. I just don't understand where some of you are coming from I guess.

To me the PAIN threshold is MUCH worse losing 49-7 to Michigan or 56-0 to any Big Ten Team. I guess my pain threshold is geared toward feeling much more pain when my Gopher team does not even belong on the same field as a Michigan... Quite frankly, I have NO sympathy for anyone who whines about losing a "so-called-heartbreaker..." to a team that has a history of beating the CRAP out of your team. I'm DAMN proud to have witnessed a game in which my Gopher Football team goes toe to toe...head to head and either beats that team or all but beats them. Then I KNOW that I have seen a game played the way it was supposed to be played....rival vs rival...if it's a win...it's incredible...and if it's a loss sure it hurts like hell and I will always remember it...just like I will always remember the wins against a Michigan. There haven't been many...and I will always remember that 2003 game...and then the 2004 game in Ann Arbor...once again a hard fought close loss....and I went back to Ann Arbor and saw THE win in 2005. But, shouldn't a rivalry game be remembered because of EXACTLY how exciting, painful, remarkable and how proud and ALIVE it made me feel. Hell, I HATE blow out losses and LOVE CLOSE...hard played games...even if they break my heart. I can take that. I just HATE not even showing up. THAT is the most difficult thing for me. I want my team to play itself proud win or lose. I want to feel a GREAT win OR a GREAT loss forever. I want to take those with me when my time is all over. I just don't understand where some of you are coming from I guess.
well said, there's nothing worse than being out of a game the moment the ball is kicked off. That ending sucked, but I am glad we went for the win, Claeys has my respect in that regard. On to the next one

Relatively old time Gopher fan here; my first game was 1973. This Saturday night was painful but the overriding feeling I had while walking to my car was that we had gone toe to toe with Michigan and should have beat them. The future looks good guys and gals. The 2003 Michigan game was far more painful to me and the failed punt vs WI was also more painful than this latest loss. I was at the Michigan game in 1978 as a high school kid so I knew we had a chance to win just like we have a chance this Saturday. That's why they actually play the game! The atmosphere at TCF Saturday night was as good as, or better than the TCU game IMO. Student Section was great...again.

55-0 is a bad loss. coming :19 seconds and 18 inches away from upsetting a rated team, that was a 2-touchdown favorite to win - that is disappointing, but it's not a bad loss. Losing to Kent State or NDSU is a bad loss. There have been a lot of bad losses in recent Gopher history. This was not one of them.

Now - if it turns out the Gophers finish 5-7, and this game keeps them from being bowl eligible, then that changes things in my estimation. the true impact of a game may not be know for weeks. If the Gophers go 6-6, beat Bucky, get the axe back, and make it to a bowl game, the memories of the Michigan game will fade very quickly. And, if they can win a bowl game, the rest of the season fades into the sunset, and Gopher fans can end the year on a positive note. Time will tell.

55-0 is a bad loss. coming :19 seconds and 18 inches away from upsetting a rated team, that was a 2-touchdown favorite to win - that is disappointing, but it's not a bad loss. Losing to Kent State or NDSU is a bad loss. There have been a lot of bad losses in recent Gopher history. This was not one of them.

Now - if it turns out the Gophers finish 5-7, and this game keeps them from being bowl eligible, then that changes things in my estimation. the true impact of a game may not be know for weeks. If the Gophers go 6-6, beat Bucky, get the axe back, and make it to a bowl game, the memories of the Michigan game will fade very quickly. And, if they can win a bowl game, the rest of the season fades into the sunset, and Gopher fans can end the year on a positive note. Time will tell.

It honestly matters to you if they finish 5-7 or 6-6? Whether or not they play in a completely meaningless bowl at 6-6 or end the season at 5-7 seems completely irrelevant to me. These types of bowl games are the equivalent to (or slightly lower than) qualifying for the NIT in basketball. If they beat the Wolverines, the jug would have been in Minnesota for a number of years due to crossover game scheduling. That's worth infinitely more to me than yet another appearance in a bowl that exists so people have something to do other than talk to their in laws over the holidays.

Playing in a Small Bowl does matter

1) The Gophers will be out on the practice field in December. Are the Gophers better off sitting in the weight room while the majority of division one Programs are out on the field?
2) Playing an additional game is beneficial to the program.
3) Coaches will have a chance to look at the younger Players.
4) A win will give the program a positive push into spring practice
5) The Fans get to see an opponent that would never appear on the schedule.
A Small Bowl does matter.

It honestly matters to you if they finish 5-7 or 6-6? Whether or not they play in a completely meaningless bowl at 6-6 or end the season at 5-7 seems completely irrelevant to me. These types of bowl games are the equivalent to (or slightly lower than) qualifying for the NIT in basketball. If they beat the Wolverines, the jug would have been in Minnesota for a number of years due to crossover game scheduling. That's worth infinitely more to me than yet another appearance in a bowl that exists so people have something to do other than talk to their in laws over the holidays.

The extra practices are very meaningful. Us as fans may not think it is a big deal but I bet it is for the players and coaches.

As I said in my post (and you missed or ignored), I think the last game of the season matters. You end the season with a victory, and the team goes into the off-season on a positive note. so, even if the Gophers do not make it into a bowl game, I still think it's important to win the last game of the year. If that last game is a bowl game, even better. Even if it's a low-tier bowl game, it's still a bowl game - it draws more attention than a regular season game. Watching the Gophers win a bowl game on TV might be just the nudge needed for a recruit to commit.

On the other hand, if you lose the last game of the year, you spend the entire off-season dealing with questions and concerns about the program. ("are they heading in the right direction.......?)

With the advent of 40 some odd bowl games or how many there now are there is NO such thing as a meaningless bowl game. Johnny Olson states a number of the most important reasons. However, since there are now so many bowl games...to NOT receive an invitation to a bowl game becomes a negative in itself. And, why should some fans who don't care to go themselves try to bad mouth something that a LOT of we fans, family members of players and and other folks who like college football like to do. I love a nice little bowl game trip just because I like a nice little bowl game trip every now and then. EG9 always has been crabby about that sort of thing...

Both VERY painful. To me, though, this one seemed to hurt a little more, as moments before, I was jumping up and down celebrating the touchdown. In 2003, I could just feel the loss coming gradually closer and closer. So, 2003 was a slow and painful death, whereby this one was a sudden (19-second) death.

Top Bottom