PA actually making effort to talk Gophers

This just tells you that we are living in a different media world up here compared to other college football locales. This is overboard, and I wouldn't want our media to go this far, but it backs up that assertions of many here who believe other college football programs have it pretty easy.

http://content.usatoday.com/communi...s-conference-gets-arkansas-radio-host-fired/1

Dan B's sidekick used to wear Hawkeye stuff when he was covering Gopher events back in the day. Can't imagine him getting fired for it. Just unprofessional.

I'm not employed by KFAN.

The animosity towards, and at times even scapegoating of, KFAN is just a little perplexing to me. I thought the fact that they are making an overture to provide better Gophers coverage would be appreciated by a community that is so dissatisfied with the current media treatment of this organization, but I was wrong.

Why in the world would you be perplexed? KFAN has been ridiculing and making a joke out of the Gopher football team and their fans since the station was founded. That attitude has changed very little despite the fact that KFAN is now worried about hanging onto its hardcore sports listeners for the first time ever.

Here is a final comment in your first post:
Let the KFAN conspiracy theories commence.

And here is the reply.
It's not a conspiracy theory - it's fact that PA knows nothing about college football, as he admits in the blog. The argument has always been about the quality of Gopher football coverage, not the quantity.

I appreciate your "aw shucks" demeanor now. However, your initial post and immediate defensive attitude lends me to believe you also know that KFAN is providing crappy coverage. The question I have is are you hoping that GopherHole legitimizes KFAN? Do you need for GopherHole to like KFAN for you to continue to listen to them? At this point the casual fan has a new station to start to turn to in 1500, which is providing not only "something" but an informed "something". As a side blurb I've been one of many that has hammered doogie, provided feedback, and eventually stopped reading him for his negative approach to Gopher football, since my being "part of the solution" didn't have an effect. However, his on air personality is much more respective and deferent to those who know football, which provides a great avenue to allow Gopher football to be discussed with out the snarky attitude. Can I assume you'll switch over to 1500 since you want good, quality coverage of Gopher Football?

Umm, thanks!

It's never been personal, but a movement to turn the attitude of the media. The best way has always been with things that affect the pocket books. I tuned into 1500 this weekend while working in the yard to try to legitimize your effort. I hope the money bags allow you to continue to focus on Gophers.

Can I assume you'll switch over to 1500 since you want good, quality coverage of Gopher Football?

Yeah...I'm nit picking. From 1500 website Sportswire - 10 Most recent entries:

Twins Stories
Most Recent Post 11 hours ago | 495 reads - Numbers Game: Span's down season and Morneau's WAR
Post #10 5 days ago | 418 reads - Twins recall Jeff Manship, place Jose Mijares (knee) on DL

Vikings Stories
Most Recent Post 2 minutes ago | 347 - reads Adrian Peterson's new teammate: actor Gary Busey
Post #10 4 days ago | 688 reads - Preview: Vikings vs. Rams

Wolves Stories
Most Recent Post 7 days ago | 167 reads - Scheduled released; Wolves open Oct. 27 against Sacramento
Post #10 33 days ago | 779 reads - Q&A with Michael Beasley

Gopher's Stories (includes all teams)
Most Recent Post 5 days ago | 358 reads - Trevor Mbakwe avoids felony trial, reinstated to 'U' basketball team
Post #10 49 days ago | 1605 reads - Gophers-by-position preview: The men surrounding Troy

I'll be sticking with Phil Miller and MV (not necessarily in that order). But I'll still be checking the 1500 website on occasion.

At least the number of clicks on the Gopher's stories are pretty high in comparison to the other teams.

I did not go over to KFAN's site to see what they have as content, I would prefer not to give them any clicks.

I apologize I was trying to reference the listening part of the coverage vs the writing part. I have a hard time doing yard work and reading web sites at the same time. More power to ya for your ability to do so :D.

Here is a final comment in your first post:

And here is the reply.

I appreciate your "aw shucks" demeanor now. However, your initial post and immediate defensive attitude lends me to believe you also know that KFAN is providing crappy coverage. The question I have is are you hoping that GopherHole legitimizes KFAN? Do you need for GopherHole to like KFAN for you to continue to listen to them? At this point the casual fan has a new station to start to turn to in 1500, which is providing not only "something" but an informed "something". As a side blurb I've been one of many that has hammered doogie, provided feedback, and eventually stopped reading him for his negative approach to Gopher football, since my being "part of the solution" didn't have an effect. However, his on air personality is much more respective and deferent to those who know football, which provides a great avenue to allow Gopher football to be discussed with out the snarky attitude. Can I assume you'll switch over to 1500 since you want good, quality coverage of Gopher Football?

It isn't an "aw shucks" demeanor, it's more that I'm not a jackass about forcing my opinions on people. The post was meant to be an introduction to a possible door opening for better Gophers coverage in the future. The problem however, is that any mention of KFAN seems to induce foaming-at-the-mouth reactions of immediate dismissal, hence the "Let the KFAN conspiracy theories commence" jab. PA has said he's going to try and have more Gophers coverage on his show, and I thought this piece was pursuant to that. Yes, it isn't an awe-inspiring piece of journalism, but it's a start. If you still don't want to listen, that's fine, you can consume your Gophers coverage any way you like.

I presented it to GopherHole because I know this to be an informed community of Gophers fans--Not seeking for KFAN to be legitimized, or in search of my own validation to listen to it. The fact that you insinuate that would indicate that either a.) you're the one being a little too defensive, or b.) you're just too daft to digest some fairly basic points. Either one renders arguing with you useless, so I won't bother.

The thing that really bothers me about the local coverage is they make it out like the Gophers are the laughingstock of college football. Obviously the program isn't at the OSU level but they are far from being the butt of all college football jokes. I know during the Wacker era they were pretty close to being the laughingstock but Mason took over for him almost 15 years ago now and made the program respectable. I just don't understand it.

Why waste time with kfan? We have developed our own media to cover the team in the gopher hole, blogs and podcasts.

It isn't an "aw shucks" demeanor, it's more that I'm not a jackass about forcing my opinions on people. The post was meant to be an introduction to a possible door opening for better Gophers coverage in the future.

<snip>
I presented it to GopherHole because I know this to be an informed community of Gophers fans

<snip>

So let me understand your thought process. I want to show to the GopherHole community, a community that you state isn't receptive to KFAN, that KFAN is making an attempt to provide more coverage of the the Gophers. And you do that by presenting the information with a barb against the community you are presenting it to? Does that sum up your thought process from your first post?

PA has said he's going to try and have more Gophers coverage on his show...

Not coincidentally I did listen to PA for a good portion of the morning. I was not glued to the radio, I am at work after all.

The only Gopher item I heard today was a caller, identifying himself as a freshman, asked PA what he thought the best bang for his buck would be, if he were to purchase season tickets for only 1 sport. Response: If you're a masochist, and like seeing your team get pounded, football. He then called for only 1 home win vs. SoDak.

If that is an illustration of his effort to have more Gopher's coverage, I'll pass.

For the record, he recommended Baseball tix for the caller.

Not coincidentally I did listen to PA for a good portion of the morning. I was not glued to the radio, I am at work after all.

The only Gopher item I heard today was a caller, identifying himself as a freshman, asked PA what he thought the best bang for his buck would be, if he were to purchase season tickets for only 1 sport. Response: If you're a masochist, and like seeing your team get pounded, football. He then called for only 1 home win vs. SoDak.

If that is an illustration of his effort to have more Gopher's coverage, I'll pass.

Seriously?!? What a Jack-Hole!! :mad:

Heard the same thing and immediately turned the dial. I keep thinking that they will somehow "get it" but they continue to be a bunch of classless tools at the so called "Fan".:banghead:

I think this quote might apply to the "Fan".

The squeaking wheel doesn't always get the grease. Sometimes it gets replaced.
- Vic Gold

I think this quote might apply to the "Fan".

The squeaking wheel doesn't always get the grease. Sometimes it gets replaced.
- Vic Gold

Perhaps the Gophers market isn't as large as the Vikings market, but it's not insignificant. And in any case, there really are very few anti-Gopher fans, the demand for smack against the Gophers is quite low. If the owners of the station figured that out, things would probably change pretty quickly.

...the demand for smack against the Gophers is quite low...

I don't think that talk radio, blogs, or opinion writers are capable of anything else. Sure, there are exceptions like MV et. al. Not just the Gophers, but in general. I hear smack talk on political shows, and even golf blogs.

It happens because it's easy, and requires little imagination.

You'll know that KFAN is riled if Barriero picks up the PA sharpened ax and begin flailing at all things golden. The KFAN talent are like any other co-workers and meet,speak and eat lunch together. This'll be good (and transparent)this aft to hear if Bonerio goes after the U.

You'll know that KFAN is riled if Barriero picks up the PA sharpened ax and begin flailing at all things golden. The KFAN talent are like any other co-workers and meet,speak and eat lunch together. This'll be good (and transparent)this aft to hear if Bonerio goes after the U.

I can't believe they would talk about anything besides Fav-Ray today, but I'll see if I can stomach it and give it a shot.

Stop foaming at the mouth you KFAN bashers. It is just embarrassing! He talked Gopher Football on his show today. It is better then no coverage.

(Am I doing this right KFAN groupies?)

Stop foaming at the mouth you KFAN bashers. It is just embarrassing! He talked Gopher Football on his show today. It is better then no coverage.

(Am I doing this right KFAN groupies?)

You need to create an "Aw Shucks" emoticon, and then you are complete.

You need to create an "Aw Shucks" emoticon, and then you are complete.

Iceland!!!! I need you !!!!!!

Crap...I'm getting snarky and cheap. Yup, it is easy to talk smack.

Totally agree. There is a point of diminishing returns, and I think I've reached it. Fine line between being snarky and an a-hole.

Iceland!!!! I need you !!!!!!

Totally agree. There is a point of diminishing returns, and I think I've reached it. Fine line between being snarky and an a-hole.

=>.<=

We've known what a jackbag PA has been for years. :rolleyes:

I'll defend my friend. Why is he a "jackbag?" Because he travels a handful of Saturdays in the fall, and other Saturdays decides to spend time with his children? Admittedly, he'll tell you that he doesn't follow college football. I was laughed at by a few while there for wanting to talk Gophers. PA was not one of those people.

I'll defend my friend. Why is he a "jackbag?" Because he travels a handful of Saturdays in the fall, and other Saturdays decides to spend time with his children? Admittedly, he'll tell you that he doesn't follow college football. I was laughed at by a few while there for wanting to talk Gophers. PA was not one of those people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered User

Snarky uninformed remarks about the Gophs like the one above is why he's a "jackbag" in my book and only hurts the perception of Gopher Football. Just my opinion...

Top Bottom