P.J.R.: Kill and Gophers sitting sweet at quarterback

Reusse column: Kill and Gophers sitting sweet at quarterback

per Reusse:

You get the impression that the Gophers want to go with Leidner vs. Iowa in Saturday's Big Ten opener, and might tell Nelson that he's not 100 percent, even if the sophomore says that he's fully healed.

What's fact is the punchline Kill used on his quarterback situation after Saturday's win:

"We're in about as good a situation as you could be right now in that position.''

That's certainly the case when you look at the quarterback challenges facing a share of the eight teams on the Big Ten schedule. There's a very good chance the Gophers already beat the best QB they are going to face in San Jose State's David Fales.

The Gophers can win four or five of these games. Seriously. And one of the best reasons for this will be more effective play at quarterback, whether it's Leidner, Nelson or both.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/PJR_Kill_and_Gophers_sitting_sweet_at_quarterback092213

Go Gophers!!

I say "one brick at a time..." with the first brick beating Iowa and bringing home The Pig.

Like all things optimism is a good thing in moderation, and I will accept it heartily from P.J.R. in small doses.

Can't wait for Saturday. Be loud, especially on third downs!

Go Gophers! In Kill We Trust! Beat Iowa!

Ruesse with no mention of the defense being worse than last season; a season where they got rolled by Iowa.

Ruesse with no mention of the defense being worse than last season; a season where they got rolled by Iowa.

I wouldn't say rolled. The Gophers committed 4 turnovers, yet Iowa scored just 31. That's not that bad.

I'm worried about Iowa's offensive line kicking our a$$ upfront.

Hope I'm way off!

It's going to be interesting to see the Gopher OL play in this game. Iowa has great linebackers and this will be the challenge for successful running. We have prevailed so far by just wearing the opponents down. But for this to work it requires enough success to keep Iowa's defense on the field for a lot of the time.

If their linebackers cheat against the run, and I think they will, then short passes over the middle to the tight ends should be there all day. Let's hope our coaches aren't afraid to throw on first down and let's hope out tight ends have sticky fingers.

Mostly let's enjoy some good old fashioned smash mouth football!

PJR and a positive article on the gophers? Does this mean he paid his cable bill this month or did he just read the articles on line, cuz I seriously doubt he was actually at the game. Could be that between the Twins and the Vikings, the Strib told him to either cover the Gophers or competitive fishing. Time to write about something that might hold readers' interest.

I say "one brick at a time..." with the first brick beating Iowa and bringing home The Pig.

Can't wait for Saturday. Be loud, especially on third downs!

Go Gophers! In Kill We Trust! Beat Iowa!

Loud is the Law for Saturday. Their fans played a big part in last year's game as I believe Shortell and company were a little shell-shocked with butt rockin atmosphere of Kinick stadium (80's hair band music cranked up to 11 with their fans on their feet for most of the first half).

Top Bottom