P.J. Fleck will get $75,000 bonus, as team's newly published single-year NCAA APR score is at least 980 (it is 994).

I've Googled the APR scores for college football and have seen 992, 993, and 994...which puts us around 8th nationally. Either way, Wisconsin is tied with Northwestern nationally for first, and Alabama is tied for 3rd. Yes...Alabama. 3rd.

Last edited:

I've Googled the APR scores for college football and have seen 992, 993, and 994...which puts us around 8th nationally. Either way, Wisconsin is tied with Northwestern nationally for first, and Alabama is tied for 3rd. Yes...Alabama. 3rd.
That Saban fella does run a tight ship

That Saban fella does run a tight ship
Clemson and Alabama both have very good APR scores

My thought is that

1. they have a lot of resources ($) to support players academically with additional staff
2. they can be choosy enough in recruiting that they can afford to pass on elite talent with shaky grades.
3. the level of academic rigor may be lower in states with lower high school educational marks

Alabama surely has relatives of Jan Ganglehoff on the payroll, but no enterprising young journalist in Tuscaloosa is willing to crack open the case.

Personally, they need to come up with some sort of rating system for the type of classes along with the "toughness" of the classes. Wasn't that long ago I read that if you wanted a degree at Alabama all you had to do was drive through the campus and you could get one without issues.

Alabama surely has relatives of Jan Ganglehoff on the payroll, but no enterprising young journalist in Tuscaloosa is willing to crack open the case.
Ahhh...the Ganglehoff Affair.

Clem's biggest mistake was not cheating to win.

Believe all the athletes getting Jan's "support" were on the bench with little or no playing time...at least that's the recollection.

As an example of cheating to win the honor goes to Danny Ford, who on the other hand cheated to a Natty for Clemson...or pretty darn close...enough to get sanctioned by both the NCAA and ACC.

If you're gonna do it, then go for broke.

Back to the OP...great news for the Gophers and congrats to Coach Fleck and the men who are representing the Maroon and Gold...

Ahhh...the Ganglehoff Affair.

Clem's biggest mistake was not cheating to win.

Believe all the athletes getting Jan's "support" were on the bench with little or no playing time...at least that's the recollection.

As an example of cheating to win the honor goes to Danny Ford, who on the other hand cheated to a Natty for Clemson...or pretty darn close...enough to get sanctioned by both the NCAA and ACC.

If you're gonna do it, then go for broke.

Back to the OP...great news for the Gophers and congrats to Coach Fleck and the men who are representing the Maroon and Gold...
Courtney James was a key player and I believe the main guy that caused Clem to get caught.

It is great to see PJ keeping the APR high. Kill also did a good job with that.

Congratulations PJ and the rest of the coaches. Proud of the student athletes that PJ has recruited - students, involved in the community, no big on field drama. This should be celebrated. In the past it seems we had more than our share of issues and PJ has turned it around.

Clemson and Alabama both have very good APR scores

My thought is that

1. they have a lot of resources ($) to support players academically with additional staff
2. they can be choosy enough in recruiting that they can afford to pass on elite talent with shaky grades.
3. the level of academic rigor may be lower in states with lower high school educational marks
I am guessing you are pretty accurate on #2. Alabama, Clemson, etc can pretty much get whoever they want as they are pretty much only competing with about 5 other schools for recruits. They can pass on a lot of 4* players if there is something they don't like about them or something they cannot fix.

Top Bottom