P.J. Fleck shares his struggles with mental health

Iceland12

Reaction score
"P.J. Fleck endured five shoulder surgeries during his playing career as a wide receiver and spent the 2005 season on injured reserve with the 49ers. Besides the bum joint, he was not feeling well.

“I struggled with mental health,” the Gophers head football coach recalled on his KFAN radio show Tuesday. “… I went through a really tough time in San Francisco.”

That story has been something Fleck has shared privately with his players since he came to Minnesota in 2017. And while it occurred nearly two decades ago, Fleck brought it up publicly a few times this week to be an example for how he sought help and spoke to a psychologist about what he was going through.

And that flashback is topical with the Gophers hosting their Mental Heath Awareness Game at 11 a.m. Saturday against Western Illinois at Huntington Bank Stadium.

On Monday in his office, Fleck picked up a pastel-covered paperback book titled “The Anxiety Solution: A Calmer Mind, A Calmer You” by Chloe Brotheridge. He was about 25 pages into it, with five separate pages of notes stuffed in to double as a bookmark.

“It’s really good for me,” Fleck shared with the Pioneer Press. “If you are always saying that somebody else should be better, but you’re not becoming better at the things you tell them they should be better at, then you lose accountability.”

Fleck wants his players to know it’s OK to not be OK and that toughness is not withholding emotions or feelings but finding a way to seek help and strive for self-improvement...

"P.J. Fleck endured five shoulder surgeries during his playing career as a wide receiver and spent the 2005 season on injured reserve with the 49ers. Besides the bum joint, he was not feeling well.

“I struggled with mental health,” the Gophers head football coach recalled on his KFAN radio show Tuesday. “… I went through a really tough time in San Francisco.”

That story has been something Fleck has shared privately with his players since he came to Minnesota in 2017. And while it occurred nearly two decades ago, Fleck brought it up publicly a few times this week to be an example for how he sought help and spoke to a psychologist about what he was going through.

And that flashback is topical with the Gophers hosting their Mental Heath Awareness Game at 11 a.m. Saturday against Western Illinois at Huntington Bank Stadium.

On Monday in his office, Fleck picked up a pastel-covered paperback book titled “The Anxiety Solution: A Calmer Mind, A Calmer You” by Chloe Brotheridge. He was about 25 pages into it, with five separate pages of notes stuffed in to double as a bookmark.

“It’s really good for me,” Fleck shared with the Pioneer Press. “If you are always saying that somebody else should be better, but you’re not becoming better at the things you tell them they should be better at, then you lose accountability.”

Fleck wants his players to know it’s OK to not be OK and that toughness is not withholding emotions or feelings but finding a way to seek help and strive for self-improvement...

In life two things define you, your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything. This story illustrates this, he has made our program more relevant. He would best suited to remove the refrigerator of Red Bull out of his office, cut back on the power drinks, that will reduce the anxiety.

So thankful this man is our football coach.

In life two things define you, your patience when you have nothing and your attitude when you have everything. This story illustrates this, he has made our program more relevant. He would best suited to remove the refrigerator of Red Bull out of his office, cut back on the power drinks, that will reduce the anxiety.
Does he drink a lot of red bull/coffee?

Serious question, the very few ppl i know with somewhat similar levels of energy rarely consume caffeine.

“The Anxiety Solution: A Calmer Mind, A Calmer You”

Sounds like a good read Iowa week

Does he drink a lot of red bull/coffee?

Serious question, the very few ppl i know with somewhat similar levels of energy rarely consume caffeine.
The man drinks red bull like its water. A college friend of mine worked in the facility and would unpack and stock 10 cases of red bull at a time. I think coach Fleck's energy is independent from his caffeine consumption, but when you have a schedule like his I'm sure a little pick me up helps.

The man drinks red bull like its water. A college friend of mine worked in the facility and would unpack and stock 10 cases of red bull at a time. I think coach Fleck's energy is independent from his caffeine consumption, but when you have a schedule like his I'm sure a little pick me up helps.
TommyBoy is not lying. Girls just want to have fun!

I'm happy to see Fleck sharing this and the U holding Mental Health Awareness Day. As someone who lives with OCD, I appreciate it.

Top Bottom