P.J. Fleck on struggling offense: 'This isn't backyard football'

PJ keeps talking about how much time you need to be able to throw deep, yet the only “deep” pass they attempted all game was a quick shot down the sideline where the ball was released less than 2.5 seconds after the snap and resulted in a PI. If you are complaining that you can’t throw down field because you aren’t able to hold up for 2 seconds, that is incredibly embarrassing. There are a lot of quick routes that can result in long passing plays, not every shot has to be a long developing cross country route. We’re not asking for four verticals every play, but at least try more than 1-2 per game.

When the opposing team is stacking the box and pressuring to the point you don’t have much time, that is exactly when you should be trying to throw over it because they have less help on the backside. Those are the times to make the defense pay for their risks rather than just keeping it vanilla and close to the vest.

I'm surprised how effective a well executed slant pass remains despite all the sophistication of modern era football.

Huh? How many times have people in here complained about him saying "it's all on me"? He rarely throws the players under the bus.

I sometimes wonder what a coach could say that would actually satisfy fans. Someone will always find a way to take issue with it, it is a no win situation for the coaches when they give interviews as someone will hate their answer, it is a guarantee.

It is never all on the players or all on the coaches, even though some fans try and pretend like it is. The players and coaches get that fact.....some fans struggle to grasp it.

MNVCGUY wrote: "I sometimes wonder what a coach could say that would actually satisfy fans."

This would do it for me...

PJ goes to the microphone and delivers his opening remarks by starting with, "That was a nice win against a well coached top-25 team..."

Last edited:

here’s the deal + when Fleck and friends started the game, they thought they could win the line of scrimmage. When they couldn’t, no plan B.

There are, maybe, worse things than sending Billy deep, Ricky, Bobby, and Timmy on crossers, slants and just chucking it up for grabs

Good times
You'll know if PJ decides to go this route when there are cars parked on our sideline so the players know when to cut in for the pass:

Max: Daniel, go to the Red pickup and cut left.

Daniel: throw to the far side once I hit the car door. They can't stop me.

(We played in the streets).

You'll know if PJ decides to go this route when there are cars parked on our sideline so the players know when to cut in for the pass:

"mike, just run to the light pole...."

“He can’t cover me!”

Pretty sure that’s what Mike Leach did, more or less 😂

The RPO scheme sucks! It’s a big reason why we can’t pass effectively. That and the fact our WRs can’t get open. We need to take a serious look at the offensive scheme and our OC/WR/TE coaches.

"mike, just run to the light pole...."
Brings back good memories doesn't it! Now that's a video game that I could identify with. Streetball 2025!!! I remember vividly yelling "Car!" over and over on those especially high traffic days. People driving to and from their homes had no respect for our playing field!

So realistically what is a coach supposed to say? If he takes the blame people say he is being disingenuous and doesn't mean it. If he points out mistakes by the players he is making excuses and passing the blame off to someone else....

Said before, it is never all on the coaches or all on the players but some fans want to put all the blame on the coaches when things don't go right.
Well, Homer, it’s because of how he “accepts blame”. It’s completely disingenuous.

Car! (everyone beelines to the curb).

Well, Homer, it’s because of how he “accepts blame”. It’s completely disingenuous.
News flash....most coach interviews are. They are just going through the motions because they have to. They are full of cliches and coach speak.

You don't like Fleck so it really doesn't matter what he says....you will have a problem with it.

Brings back good memories doesn't it! Now that's a video game that I could identify with. Streetball 2025!!! I remember vividly yelling "Car!" over and over on those especially high traffic days. People driving to and from their homes had no respect for our playing field!
On their podcast the Travis and Jason Kelce have talked about making a backyard football game in the mode of the old Blitz games.

The RPO scheme sucks! It’s a big reason why we can’t pass effectively. That and the fact our WRs can’t get open. We need to take a serious look at the offensive scheme and our OC/WR/TE coaches.
Again as others have mentioned (maybe in different threads), I did not see much if any RPO plays against UNC. One of the most effective plays they did out of it in 2019 was the slant pass.

Then there's this play, not the slant but out of the RPO scheme (as you put it). Morgan reading the play while in the mesh and pulling it out knowing he had TJ open. Remember it?

Loving me this backyard football offense! Complete change in scheme vs week 1, yes I realize the competition is different.

Go Gophers!!

Loving me this backyard football offense! Complete change in scheme vs week 1, yes I realize the competition is different.

Go Gophers!!
That wasn't a backyard football offense, but we did actually work on the forward pass today.

It won't be anywhere near this easy again this year, but we know we can actually execute a pass play.

As long as the sun comes up again tomorrow, here's hoping the coaching staff decides to make it a part of the offense during the B1G season.

Top Bottom