P.J. Fleck discusses postponed 2020 football season with the media

Jared.Hines

Reaction score
By: Jared Hines

On the morning of Aug. 14, Minnesota Gophers Head Football Coach discussed the currently postponed 2020 Fall Football season. While the Big Ten hopes to play football--and all other fall sports--in the Spring, there are concerns from many about playing in the Spring and then turning around and trying to play again in the Fall of 2021.

Per usual, coach Fleck was passionate while also showing lots of compassion to the staff and students who lost their season this fall. Below, you will see videos with Fleck discussing "rowing the boat" through a Pandemic, the mental health of his players and staff, the personal relationships he is trying to continue, and recruiting during the dead period.

Videos:

Fleck talks about easing the kids into the season

Fleck talks about "rowing the boat" in uncharted waters of a Global Pandemic

Fleck talks about the mental health of his players and staff

Fleck talks about the "next man up" mentality and the new look of some of the incoming freshman

Subscribe to the GopherHole YouTube channel to see all our videos from campus and beyond!

Visit our Football Message Board to chat with thousands of other passionate Gophers fans!

(Photo courtesy of Sports Illustrated)

No other place to put this, but speaking of PJ...

God, I hope this turmoil doesn't result in a situation where he decides to leave. The guy loves being a football coach and, despite all the bromides, he's going to be missing the coaching for Saturday's game part of it. (Forgive the negative thoughts, but I've been a Gopher fan since the late 1950s and there's no vaccine for that either.)

That a coach right there. See how 34 reacted this is exactly what we needed in a coach.

Occasionally when paddling on one might come to the end of a waterway, or find the way too turbulent for safe passage. At that point you have to portage your vessel before putting the paddles back in and rowing on a renewed journey.

God, I hope this turmoil doesn't result in a situation where he decides to leave. The guy loves being a football coach and, despite all the bromides, he's going to be missing the coaching for Saturday's game part of it. (Forgive the negative thoughts, but I've been a Gopher fan since the late 1950s and there's no vaccine for that either.)
Why do you think he would leave now. You think USC is going to be rolling the dough to pay his buyout and a new $30 million contract when they are not oaky it football in 2020. Plus remember they were tied into the rich people getting kids in school under false athletic scholarships so they probably have some in house work to do.

For PJ to leave, someone would have to pay his buyout if he remains a college coach. There aren't going to be many (any?) job openings for him to leave for this year. I think he might have left after 2020 if Minnesota had a big year and a USC / Michigan / Notre Dame-esque job opened up.

As it is, that's not happening. There might be NFL openings but nothing about PJ's style suggests to me that he's interested in coaching NFL players.

Every year they are going to have to tear up his contract and pay him more. He's worth it. When he first arrived I wasn't buying what he was selling, but I was wrong. I've heard multiple stories that he's the same way away from the cameras as he is in front of the cameras and that he coaches the entire person and not just the football player.

He's also highly ambitious and determined to win a national championship. The challenge for this administration will be to find a way to give him the resources to do it here.

Finally, he would fail in the NFL. It's not the right fit.

For PJ to leave, someone would have to pay his buyout if he remains a college coach. There aren't going to be many (any?) job openings for him to leave for this year. I think he might have left after 2020 if Minnesota had a big year and a USC / Michigan / Notre Dame-esque job opened up.

As it is, that's not happening. There might be NFL openings but nothing about PJ's style suggests to me that he's interested in coaching NFL players.
Not that I want to perpetuate this line of thinking, but seriously, why all this concern over things like Michigan or Notre Dame? What is so special about them related to PJ? I don’t see either of those as particular threats.

Really think about it. He has to follow suit. He couldn’t disagree with B1G regardless how he actually felt.

Not that I want to perpetuate this line of thinking, but seriously, why all this concern over things like Michigan or Notre Dame? What is so special about them related to PJ? I don’t see either of those as particular threats.

Michigan / Notre Dame are brought up as destinations for PJ because they are the only programs in the upper Midwest that can afford his buyout, are an obvious step up from Minnesota, and have even remotely questionable coaching situations. There is a rumor that he needs to stay in the upper Midwest to be near his kids. I don't know if that's actually true.

I bring up USC because I think his energy would play well there (people used to say similar things about Pete Carroll) and I cannot believe that Helton still has a job.

Last edited:

Michigan / Notre Dame are brought up as destinations for PJ because they are the only programs in the upper Midwest that can afford his buyout, are an obvious step up from Minnesota, and have even remotely questionable coaching situations. There is a rumor that he needs to stay in the upper Midwest to be near his kids. I don't know if that's actually true.

I bring up USC because I think his energy would play well there (people used to say similar things about Pete Carroll) and I cannot believe that Helton still has a job.

Just because you can afford to buy things in life; doesn't mean you WANT to buy them. Pete Caroll was Hollywood..... you really think Fleck's message meshes with Hollywood? That's a no. Michigan is meant for a Michigan man that can bring glory back the Michigan way (sarcasm).... doing it the Michigan way and following traditional and exploiting the tradition brand. That's a no. ND.... Idk where his faith sits so I can't comment on that and how it even really plays into the school or his beliefs.

I truly believe that PJ is just a different dude. If he has the support, he stays here.

Every year they are going to have to tear up his contract and pay him more. He's worth it.

Nobody is getting raises for a long time. More like pay cuts. The Gophers are looking at huge financial losses. Coyle admits that all options are on the table, including eliminating multiple sports.

if they cut sports, and turn around and give the FB coach a raise, that will be a PR nightmare.

Fleck is doing a very good job. Take covid out of the picture, and he probably would be getting more raises and extensions. But, covid has changed everything.

This could be a sea change for college athletics. it's possible that coaching salaries have peaked and schools will have to explore different methods of compensation in the future.

Nobody is getting raises for a long time. More like pay cuts. The Gophers are looking at huge financial losses. Coyle admits that all options are on the table, including eliminating multiple sports.

if they cut sports, and turn around and give the FB coach a raise, that will be a PR nightmare.

Fleck is doing a very good job. Take covid out of the picture, and he probably would be getting more raises and extensions. But, covid has changed everything.

This could be a sea change for college athletics. it's possible that coaching salaries have peaked and schools will have to explore different methods of compensation in the future.

Then he will probably be gone within the next few years, because the helmet schools will still do whatever it takes to compete at the highest level possible.

I'm done with all the talk about PJ going elsewhere. PJ is the head football coach here until/if he ever decides to go anywhere else. Nobody knows any different at this point. I love that. If he ends up going somewhere else in a couple/few years, so be it. If he decides to stay here for a long time, love it. Program is on a great trajectory right now.

Yes and no. Sports programs will be cut and there will be a scarcity of resources due to the snowball effect of COVID. However, that will cause at least some schools to place more gold at the alter of the football coach. Trimmed athletic departments will be even more dependent on FB and winning coaches and the U will have to decide if it wants to be "big time," as Sid would say. If so, they are going to have to keep paying PJ. I agree that salaries have peaked for men's and women's hoops.

Yes and no. Sports programs will be cut and there will be a scarcity of resources due to the snowball effect of COVID. However, that will cause at least some schools to place more gold at the alter of the football coach. Trimmed athletic departments will be even more dependent on FB and winning coaches and the U will have to decide if it wants to be "big time," as Sid would say. If so, they are going to have to keep paying PJ. I agree that salaries have peaked for men's and women's hoops.
There are many ways to compensate a coach. There is a basketball coach in the ACC with a big salary, big incentives where he insisted on the structure to carry the risk and as the result of great success , big donors established a mind blowing annuity ! Fleck is our coach, he will get paid wherever he goes as long as he wins and eventually those will have to be conference titles and playoff appearances. I do not think this will be his last coaching job of his career.

Nice. But, why is that ok and not games? 🤔😑🤥
well, the argument might be that if the players are isolated, any transmission stays within. College football can work if the players all isolate from the general populace. Is it reasonable to think that can or will happen?

Nice. But, why is that ok and not games? 🤔😑🤥
Gosh, let's see if we can figure it out. :unsure: Maybe because it's 3 people involved instead of, at a minimum, 250? Maybe because it doesn't involve traveling all together to another location? Maybe because the person with the ball isn't going to be chased by 11 other guys and then tackled by possibly 3 or 4 of them? Maybe because some other really big guys aren't going to be smashing into each other over and over again? Maybe because medical experts have told them there is this amount of risk factor right now; but a month down the line they think the risk factor will be greatly increased? Pretty sure there are more differences, but you already know that.

Gosh, let's see if we can figure it out. :unsure: Maybe because it's 3 people involved instead of, at a minimum, 250? Maybe because it doesn't involve traveling all together to another location? Maybe because the person with the ball isn't going to be chased by 11 other guys and then tackled by possibly 3 or 4 of them? Maybe because some other really big guys aren't going to be smashing into each other over and over again? Maybe because medical experts have told them there is this amount of risk factor right now; but a month down the line they think the risk factor will be greatly increased? Pretty sure there are more differences, but you already know that.

Oh, so it’s just these three horsing around? My bad. 🙄

As far as travel, reduce travel personnel. Or, with the dearth of business and leisure travel it might even be possible to contract a second charter plane at reduced cost. Buy one get 50% off always gets me!

Just because you can afford to buy things in life; doesn't mean you WANT to buy them. Pete Caroll was Hollywood..... you really think Fleck's message meshes with Hollywood? That's a no. Michigan is meant for a Michigan man that can bring glory back the Michigan way (sarcasm).... doing it the Michigan way and following traditional and exploiting the tradition brand. That's a no. ND.... Idk where his faith sits so I can't comment on that and how it even really plays into the school or his beliefs.

I truly believe that PJ is just a different dude. If he has the support, he stays here.
Agreed. MN I think also has the advantage in that he is lots of freedom when it comes to RTB and everything else. I'm not sure he gets all of that in places like ND or Michigan.

well, the argument might be that if the players are isolated, any transmission stays within. College football can work if the players all isolate from the general populace. Is it reasonable to think that can or will happen?

Probably not, which is why the cancellation was more about shifting liability than preventing spread. If the other conferences proceed it seems likely they will have at minimum isolated outbreaks occur. I’m a realist. The key is preventing the entire team from following suit.

A saliva based test was just given emergency approval by the FDA. Another option to hel keep the spread low within team activities, if leadership decides to pursue those options. Sometimes the first step on any journey is the hardest.

Probably not, which is why the cancellation was more about shifting liability than preventing spread. If the other conferences proceed it seems likely they will have at minimum isolated outbreaks occur. I’m a realist. The key is preventing the entire team from following suit.

A saliva based test was just given emergency approval by the FDA. Another option to hel keep the spread low within team activities, if leadership decides to pursue those options. Sometimes the first step on any journey is the hardest.
It still should be done right, and so far it’s very far from clear that can happen. So pushing the season off to spring seems plenty reasonable, excepting the fact that three major conferences are gambling on a power grab, instead of using reason. The ONLY reason the B1G should still consider playing this fall is to keep up with the other three. There is no other good reason not to push this off until spring. Is that singular reason enough? It’s a very strong one...

On the other hand, being the only football played in early 2021 could be extremely attractive for the B1G and Pac12. I don’t see how the three conferences can think this is good for the long run...college football is big because it is nationwide and non-regional. If it becomes regional, then college football will fail. This all sucks, and needs coordination between all P5s

Good The Atlantic piece on maybe a brighter future:

Good The Atlantic piece on maybe a brighter future:

Yep, that’s the holy grail going forward. Cheap, self-administered tests without need for central lab processing, or at least amenable to local worksite machine processing. It doesn’t really matter these POC tests are not quite as accurate as the PCR tests.

The idea we were going to have the personnel or materials, lab capacity, PPE to administer 20 million+ PCR tests per day in huge car queues was some sort of covid fever dream of out of touch academics.

Agreed. MN I think also has the advantage in that he is lots of freedom when it comes to RTB and everything else. I'm not sure he gets all of that in places like ND or Michigan.

I don't think he goes anywhere he can't spread his philosophy and instill his culture; no matter how big the Brinks Truck is. With all the philosophy means to him and how much he believes in it, I can't see him compromising at all as an HC. I've never met him, but I've met and seen plenty of phonies that were about a schtick for $$$ and I don't see any of that here. I believe he is 100% geniune. As an HC, I can't fathom him going anywhere where he can't be who he wants to be.

There are many ways to compensate a coach. There is a basketball coach in the ACC with a big salary, big incentives where he insisted on the structure to carry the risk and as the result of great success , big donors established a mind blowing annuity ! Fleck is our coach, he will get paid wherever he goes as long as he wins and eventually those will have to be conference titles and playoff appearances. I do not think this will be his last coaching job of his career.
Of course this won't be his last coaching job. The idea is to keep him around long enough to build something that can be sustained after he is gone.

Top Bottom