P.J. Fleck contract negotiations still ongoing - MLive

Iceland12

Reaction score
"We're closer than we were last week, but it's not going back and forth like 'I don't want this, but you said this,' that's not what's happening," Fleck said. "What I do not want to happen is the focus becomes P.J. Fleck's contract. That is not what I want in this whole thing. My focus from day one has been these players, including the last four weeks, it's been on these players. I will not back down from that."

Whether a completed contract is signed before or after the bowl game means less to Fleck than the next couple weeks of preparation for Wisconsin, he said.

"If we can get it done before the bowl game, great, if we can't, that's fine too," Fleck said. "My point is I'm doing it at a pace where it's all about our players and if I've got to pick game planning or something else for our players and our team and our coaching staff, I'm going to pick that first, then worry about a contract. So I'm not necessarily worried about that."

Fleck signed a six-year contract with the university in 2014 worth a guaranteed salary of $800,000 to make him the highest paid coach in the Mid-American Conference.

Of that total the Western Michigan contributes $225,000 and the rest comes from private donors.

http://www.mlive.com/broncos/index.ssf/2016/12/pj_fleck_contract_negotiations.html

I think Fleck will end up being similar to Chris Petersen. Petersen stayed at Boise St longer than everyone expected because he didn't want to leave the Pacific northwest even when he had better opportunities elsewhere. Fleck will stay at Western Michigan and continue to win there until Notre Dame or one of the higher end B1G schools in that area has an opening.

Fleck = Brewster 2.0. Oregon cooled on him for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fleck can and should be picky when it comes to a job. The guy has a young, split family and I'm sure that plays a big role in this. Agree that he is going to wait for a big Midwest job to open.

Anyone who compares Brewster to Fleck has no clue and hasn't paid any attention.

Unlike Brewster, Fleck has backed it up 13-0 as a head Coach.

Lotta coverage of Western Michigan coaching status on GH...

Fleck has no incentive to rush this. He's better off going slow in the hope that something else opens up.

The MAC is one of the FIRST places I would look to if I were looking for a coach. Decades ago, it was just Miami of Ohio, which was
known as the Cradle of Coaches. You did well there, got hired by a bigger school, and the next guy did the same. Now, its the whole
MAC that does that. It is the perfect breeding ground for successful head coaches.

That's just my opinion, but its shared by many.

Fleck can and should be picky when it comes to a job. The guy has a young, split family and I'm sure that plays a big role in this. Agree that he is going to wait for a big Midwest job to open.

Anyone who compares Brewster to Fleck has no clue and hasn't paid any attention.

I have paid attention, he is all hype and rah rah with no substance. His pushes down the X&O's to his staff to handle. You can get away with that at a MAC school if you can recruit well enough but is not a sustainable model in a power 5 conference where it's much more competitive and recruiting is more difficult. There is also no guarantee his staff will even come so now you run the risk of him staffing up with coaches he doesn't have a ton of experience with. For a coach that manages down like that you better have a very experience coaching staff.

We tried this experiment with Brewster, a guy who came in with this great recruiting resume and a players coach but couldn't field a competent team when it mattered. If you read any articles at all, Oregon cooled on him because of everything I described. They recognize the value a coach who is involved in the details and builds from the bottom up with a certain strategy in mind.

Claeys is trying to do that at the U, he has a strategy in mind that he eventually wants the team to mimic. He brought in a new Oline coach and a new offense coordinator for a reason. He is recruiting different style offense lineman and different style quarterbacks. Let the guy build the damn team and see how it shakes out. He built a pretty good defense in the short time he was here. The constant coaching carousel is tiresome, I would rather have a long term strategy in mind like Boise State and eventually become relevant in 3 years vs. trying to keep up with "Jone's" on who is who in the coaching ranks.

I was as "picky" as Fleck this offseason. We had the same number of offers so I am assuming we are in equal demand outside of WMU right now.

I have paid attention, he is all hype and rah rah with no substance. His pushes down the X&O's to his staff to handle. You can get away with that at a MAC school if you can recruit well enough but is not a sustainable model in a power 5 conference where it's much more competitive and recruiting is more difficult. There is also no guarantee his staff will even come so now you run the risk of him staffing up with coaches he doesn't have a ton of experience with. For a coach that manages down like that you better have a very experience coaching staff.

We tried this experiment with Brewster, a guy who came in with this great recruiting resume and a players coach but couldn't field a competent team when it mattered. If you read any articles at all, Oregon cooled on him because of everything I described. They recognize the value a coach who is involved in the details and builds from the bottom up with a certain strategy in mind.

Claeys is trying to do that at the U, he has a strategy in mind that he eventually wants the team to mimic. He brought in a new Oline coach and a new offense coordinator for a reason. He is recruiting different style offense lineman and different style quarterbacks. Let the guy build the damn team and see how it shakes out. He built a pretty good defense in the short time he was here. The constant coaching carousel is tiresome, I would rather have a long term strategy in mind like Boise State and eventually become relevant in 3 years vs. trying to keep up with "Jone's" on who is who in the coaching ranks.

As was mentioned earlier there is no comparison between Brewster and Fleck. Brewster has never been a successful head coach anywhere. Making that comparison is moronic. You rip Fleck for X's and O's yet Claeys botched clock management 101 against Michigan as well as other games, and virtually does nothing while the offense is on the field. Plus Fleck is already out recruiting Minnesota and other P5 schools at Western Michigan.

As was mentioned earlier there is no comparison between Brewster and Fleck. Brewster has never been a successful head coach anywhere. Making that comparison is moronic. You rip Fleck for X's and O's yet Claeys botched clock management 101 against Michigan as well as other games, and virtually does nothing while the offense is on the field. Plus Fleck is already out recruiting Minnesota and other P5 schools at Western Michigan.

Yes there is a comparison, it's the same way Brewster tried to coach and it didn't work. Fleck may have mastered the schtick, but it will wear off just like everything and he will be forced to coach. I don't believe his coaching skills or football acumen is as good as Claeys or his staff as a whole when it counts and he certainly hasn't it proved it yet because of one year. Oregon recognized this, which is why whey moved in a different direction.

You are the same type of person that purchase a stock because the Wall Street Journal tells you to. You may get lucky, but if you don't look at the fundamentals of what really is going on, more then likely all the information has been priced in and there is no upside left for how much risk you are taking.

Why would any coach risk his career by working for Coyle and Kaler?

Baylor found a good HC. That place is still a bit of a dumpster fire. Actually don't think it matters...many would look at it as an opportunity to build from scratch, get paid wel, and have a built in excuse if it doesn't work.

Having said that, I'm not one who thinks the U will go that route. Coyle is actually in a good position, while he has one, to offer a moderate extension and TC will take it.

Yes there is a comparison, it's the same way Brewster tried to coach and it didn't work. Fleck may have mastered the schtick, but it will wear off just like everything and he will be forced to coach. I don't believe his coaching skills or football acumen is as good as Claeys or his staff as a whole when it counts and he certainly hasn't it proved it yet because of one year. Oregon recognized this, which is why whey moved in a different direction.

You are the same type of person that purchase a stock because the Wall Street Journal tells you to. You may get lucky, but if you don't look at the fundamentals of what really is going on, more then likely all the information has been priced in and there is no upside left for how much risk you are taking.

Oregon never interviewed Fleck and no one knows whether that was Oregon's choice or Fleck's choice. It's been widely stated that Fleck doesn't want to leave the Midwest. It's not his first year at Western Michigan, it's his 4th, and he built that program from the ground up. It's not just Fleck who coaches that way, there are many enthusiastic coaches out there. Fleck is more comparable to Jim Harbaugh than Tim Brewster because he's actually had success.

If I'm that type of person, which I'm not, then you're the type of person who's too afraid to ever make a decision or try something new because of a past failure.

Oregon never interviewed Fleck and no one knows whether that was Oregon's choice or Fleck's choice. It's been widely stated that Fleck doesn't want to leave the Midwest. It's not his first year at Western Michigan, it's his 4th, and he built that program from the ground up. It's not just Fleck who coaches that way, there are many enthusiastic coaches out there. Fleck is more comparable to Jim Harbaugh than Tim Brewster because he's actually had success.

If I'm that type of person, which I'm not, then you're the type of person who's too afraid to ever make a decision or try something new because of a past failure.

Why did I know you were going to say Jim Harbaugh as a comparison, I don't even know you but can foresee your response. I am aware this is his fourth year, my point is this is his the first year with real success, let's see if he can sustain it. Also, I want to see him coach where he doesn't have the best athletes on the field. He won't against Wisconsin and I want to see how he responds when he is getting physically beat at the line of scrimmage. Because guess what, when you coach at the U, your not going to always have the best athletes and you need to scheme.

First big test is Wisconsin, this will show what sort of coach he is. A lot of schools will be watching to see how he fairs and his value will either skyrocket or plummet.

Oregon never had interest, but his agent sure tried to make it seem that way. There's a reason why no P5 schools with openings took a flyer on him. Unproven. Proactively giving the stiff-arm to Cincinnati was stupid on his part.

Ya, he probably hasn't learned anything about X's and O's from his 4 years playing in college, his year as a player with the 49ers, or his coaching years, including a year in the NFL. If you get good players, and get the best out of them, and they execute well, you don't have to fool a lot of people. Good fundamentals by good, motivated players goes a long way.

Why did I know you were going to say Jim Harbaugh as a comparison, I don't even know you but can foresee your response. I am aware this is his fourth year, my point is this is his the first year with real success, let's see if he can sustain it. Also, I want to see him coach where he doesn't have the best athletes on the field. He won't against Wisconsin and I want to see how he responds when he is getting physically beat at the line of scrimmage. Because guess what, when you coach at the U, your not going to always have the best athletes and you need to scheme.

First big test is Wisconsin, this will show what sort of coach he is. A lot of schools will be watching to see how he fairs and his value will either skyrocket or plummet.

Ya, Northwestern's not a test. Western Michigan has better players than both NW and Illinois right?

Ya, he probably hasn't learned anything about X's and O's from his 4 years playing in college, his year as a player with the 49ers, or his coaching years, including a year in the NFL. If you get good players, and get the best out of them, and they execute well, you don't have to fool a lot of people. Good fundamentals by good, motivated players goes a long way.

He's openly said he's not an X & O guy...describes himself as a motivator. I agree that that will not work beyond the level he's at now. Any comparisons to Chris Peterson are just crazy and way off base.

Fleck was 1 of 2 Novak Assistants retained by Coach Kill at Northern Illinois. He was also in offered job to be NIU O Coordinator under Dave Doeren prior to his departure to NFL. Never understood the labeling of "Non X's and O's" or "X's and O's" coaches....but that's just me.
I think he will do well wherever his career takes him.

Fleck was 1 of 2 Novak Assistants retained by Coach Kill at Northern Illinois. He was also in offered job to be NIU O Coordinator under Dave Doeren prior to his departure to NFL. Never understood the labeling of "Non X's and O's" or "X's and O's" coaches....but that's just me.
I think he will do well wherever his career takes him.

He's described himself that way, what don't you understand?

Top Bottom