Overlooked/Underrated Movies

"Just one of the guys" (1985)

If you're my age, you're still stunned Joyce Hyser didn't win the Oscar for her role in this movie.
1683605126042.png

The coming of age movie has been done and overdone throughout the years, but I thought The Way Way Back did it very well with Sam Rockwell playing a particularly memorable role very well and Steve Carrell playing against type as a dickhead:
This is one of my all-time favorite movies.

HELL YEAH!!!

That's such a great movie.

"What if my balls don't itch?"

"All balls itch. It's a fact!"
Rick: "Are those what I think they are?"

Terry: "I'm sorry..."

Rick: "Where do you get off having tits?"

Joyce Hyser dated Bruce Springsteen for several years, and later dated/lived with Warren Beatty.

on overlooked movies - I don't know if this qualifies - but one of the funniest movies I've even seen was "Don's Party," a 1976 Australian movie directed by Bruce Beresford.

basic premise - a group of friends have a party to watch the Australian election returns. as people start getting drunk, all sorts of hijinks ensue, with lots of profanity, nudity and insults. it was apparently based on a play.

I saw this on (I think) HBO sometime in the late 70's or early 80's. just something about that Australian sense of humor, but I thought it was hilarious.

(I got to know a number of Australians when I was living in Knoxville, Iowa. There are a lot of Aussies involved in sprint-car racing, so many of them drove at Knoxville during the summer.)

As a Natalie Portman film triggered CoolHand to start this thread, my choice is another recent film of hers, Annihilation. Typically, I am not much into a SciFi/Thrillers but I thought this was the best movie of 2018. It was not marketed at all for some reason. Despite it being a huge hit with critics, it was pretty much yanked out of theaters within 2 weeks.

In addition to Portman, it was a great acting ensemble with Jennifer Jason Leigh, Oscar Isaac & Gina Rodriguez. It was written/directed by Alex Garland who also did Ex Machina.
I re-watched Annihilation last night, first time since seeing it in a theater. I stand by my praise.

Keeping up with the Joneses. Very entertaining 2016 movie.

1701292745340.png

Maybe not underrated, but always loved "Night Shift" with Michael Keaton, Henry Winkler and whats her name from Cheers.

Rumble Fish. Mickey Rourke in his prime, Matt Dillon in his prime, Dennis Hopper, Diane Lane, a young Nicholas Cage, Lawrence Fishburne & Tom Waits. Brilliant movie.

Yea, excellent. Had forgotten about it until I just came upon this thread.

There have been many great comedies since 2000, but two that are criminally underappreciated are

I Love You, Man

and

Walk Hard: The Dewey Cox Story (minute for minute one of the funniest movies ever made)

Lucky Number Slevin and Smokin' Aces are great movies that never received much publicity that I recall. They both have incredible casts.

These Final Hours is an Australian apocalyptical thriller I came across awhile back on Netflix. The people in Australia have 12 hours to live before the effects of an asteroid get to them. It was interesting to me to see the different ways people respond to knowing they're going to die.

"Hey kid, you like music?" "Jumping Jack Flash is a gas gas gas..."
"Can you turn it down?!"

"Yeah! I can turn it down, I can turn it up. I can switch it to the back seat and the front. I can make it reverberate.!"

Roadhouse. Outstanding movie with some superb performances.

Dammmn boyyyy!! I thought you were goooood!!!” [immediately dies]

"Can you turn it down?!"

"Yeah! I can turn it down, I can turn it up. I can switch it to the back seat and the front. I can make it reverberate.!"
"I'm an idea man Chuck, I get ideas, sometimes I get so many ideas that I can't even fight them off!"

when Burt Young died recently, it reminded me of a movie he was in -

"The Pope of Greenwich Village." (1984)

a young Mickey Rourke, Eric Roberts, Daryl Hannah in a story about some small-time hustlers who get in over their heads when they rip off a local mobster. Eric Roberts had already done "King of the Gypsies" and "Star 80," so he was a hot young actor at the time. Mickey Rourke was coming off his parts in "Body Heat" and "Diner."

when Burt Young died recently, it reminded me of a movie he was in -

"The Pope of Greenwich Village." (1984)

a young Mickey Rourke, Eric Roberts, Daryl Hannah in a story about some small-time hustlers who get in over their heads when they rip off a local mobster. Eric Roberts had already done "King of the Gypsies" and "Star 80," so he was a hot young actor at the time. Mickey Rourke was coming off his parts in "Body Heat" and "Diner."
I liked "The Pope". Didn't Darryl Hannah have a topless scene or 2 in that?

Top Bottom