Overlooked depth at QB and RB?

Digger01

Reaction score
Obviously Gray is the expected starter at QB but I haven't heard anything at all about the back-up spots other than the excitement of Shortell (who, imho, should redshirt). Personally, I expect more from Alipate and Parish based on what I've heard about them. How come there hasn't been any talk of them? Has anybody seen how they've progressed?

As for the running backs, I would assume that Bennett and Eskridge will carry the bulk of the load and I've heard great things about Edwards and also Kirkwood looked solid but I haven't heard anything about Devon Wright. He was a guy I was excited to see sign with the Gophers. Think he'll have a shot to see some playing time this year, maybe on passes out of the backfield?

I think RB has the talent to be excellent if the OL comes together. I think Shortell and Parish will push Gray and compete for #2. I don't see Alipate contributing unless he gets in better shape. I hope I'm wrong on Alipate.

Well Parish redshirted last year and didn't play in the spring game so I'm not sure that many people have seen him live except maybe in High School. From what I have read he looks like someone that would do well in Kill's system. We will see what happens.

As far as running backs go I agree that it all depends on how well our young lineman play. I'm willing to take a year of growing pains to have a dominate line 2 years from now.

depth is an issue at one not the other.

At QB I would say depth is a huge issue and will continue to be until we see these guys actually play. Gray has seen limited snaps at QB over the last couple of years but not enough to say if he is going to be a good starter. Heck we know more about him as a WR than we do as a QB. He can run we know that but he will have to be a good passer to really make things work well on offense. Alipate and Parrish have not played live football in a long time how they will do in live action is a complete mystery. All we know is Parrish is known to be a guy who can run a little and his arm is ok. Alipate we know is a huge guy and has a cannon but do we know if either guy can step up and play at the Big Ten level this year? Talent is there the question is do we have a QB ready to play in 7 months? We will know nothing until then.

As far as running back goes this is a deep position. I should change that this position like QB is very talented but running backs are different than QBs. Running backs can come in and play well right away if the line is opening holes. We have different types of backs with a wide range of skills which should help all of them get on the field at different times. The veterans can provide the leadership at the position but in the end it will be the talent of each guy that will get him on the field. I really like the chances for Kirkwood and Edwards to be good backs long term. I see Kirkwood as a guy who could lead us in rushing this year if he gives himself a chance to start. The veterans are solid players but the younger guys can be really good maybe back to the point when our running game is feared by other teams. That can only happen if the line can come together and open some holes to run through.

At QB I would say depth is a huge issue and will continue to be until we see these guys actually play. Gray has seen limited snaps at QB over the last couple of years but not enough to say if he is going to be a good starter. Heck we know more about him as a WR than we do as a QB. He can run we know that but he will have to be a good passer to really make things work well on offense. Alipate and Parrish have not played live football in a long time how they will do in live action is a complete mystery. All we know is Parrish is known to be a guy who can run a little and his arm is ok. Alipate we know is a huge guy and has a cannon but do we know if either guy can step up and play at the Big Ten level this year? Talent is there the question is do we have a QB ready to play in 7 months? We will know nothing until then.

As far as running back goes this is a deep position. I should change that this position like QB is very talented but running backs are different than QBs. Running backs can come in and play well right away if the line is opening holes. We have different types of backs with a wide range of skills which should help all of them get on the field at different times. The veterans can provide the leadership at the position but in the end it will be the talent of each guy that will get him on the field. I really like the chances for Kirkwood and Edwards to be good backs long term. I see Kirkwood as a guy who could lead us in rushing this year if he gives himself a chance to start. The veterans are solid players but the younger guys can be really good maybe back to the point when our running game is feared by other teams. That can only happen if the line can come together and open some holes to run through.

I agree, but I think experience is the question at QB, not depth. I think we are 4 deep in depth.

Well, the QB situation is tough because the guy who seemed like the heir apparent in Alipate doesn't really match what Kill likes to do. He also has some obvious nutrition issues. I think it's really crucial for Alipate to trim down as much as possible and make himself into an agile athlete and not let guys like Parish and Shortell pass him by.

I can't imagine anyone would know anything about Parish as he didn't play in the spring game and was RS last year. He is supposed to have a skillset that would be close to ideal with what Kill likes to do. I guess I expect Shortell to RS unless he is the clear #2 and then it's on Parish and Alipate to decide who is #2.

As far as RB. Well, people are talking about 4 RBs quite a bit (Eskridge, Bennett, Edwards and Kirkwood). I think there might be some lack of chatter about Wright because he sits at 5th in the depth chart. There was also some mystery surrounding the kid last year on whether he was really here or not and if he was, what position he will play. I think there is an ok chance that he ends up at WR. He seems to have all the tools and was a really similar prospect to James White (caliber) coming out of HS.

Unless he is a cross between Mike Hohensee, Ricky Foggie, and JC; and Gray, Alipate, Parrish, and Pride all go down with injuries, Shortell won't see a snap this year. Let him get a year in to learn the system and really compete as a RS Freshman. They are not going to let him waste a year of eligiblity with 4 underclassmen ahead of him.

You can take that one to the bank.

Top Bottom