Over or under 5 wins next season?

WolfontheProwl

Reaction score
A large number of starters will be returning next season especially on defense and many of the skills guys are back. We had a good number of talented kids red shirting last season and a good number who will be entering their Sophomore seasons when more on field impact should be expected. Looking at the schedule I can see the Gophers winning as many as 8 games next season. That being said its always an adjustment with new coaches and systems. Will the Gophers win more than 5 games or less?

OUr schedule is tough next year...and we don't know how MG will play at QB...with that said...I say we get exactly 5 wins next year with an upset victory over Wiscy to get the effing Axe back in Dinkytown!

Over. How much over depends on how fast the team picks up the new schemes. I think going 3-1 in non-conference play is reasonable and depending on how things go and how the other teams look (does RichRod get fired at Michigan?) we have a shot at winning 3 or more games in conference play (Purdue, Michigan, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa look most likely candidates for a W to me).

Interestingly enough we get both Iowa and Wisconsin at home next season.

I'll take the over, Stretch.

I agree winning is a habit. That's why I have hated the Timberwolves ever since they fired Muss because he won too much. I realize none of the same people are there anymore, but still....

So a 2 game winning streak is a good start. Still, I think 4 wins next year is realistic. Then 6. Then 8, if Kill is really da man.

Over! I've said several times in other posts that there is enough talent on this team to go 6-6 or 7-5 next year. I think they achive that and perhaps a bit better if we get some impact recruits.

Going with the over, I think 6-6 is reasonable (obviously always hoping for more)

Over. 6-7 wins. I could even see 8-9 with a couple of good breaks along the way.

Over

That's a solid over-under line. I'll take the over with projected wins of New Mexico State, Miami of Ohio (Kill exacts measure of revenge for MAC title game), North Dakota State, Iowa, Purdue and Illinois. Maybe a seventh win @ Northwestern.

I think a better chance at the seventh win would be USC. They're thin on defense and have to prepare for us as a total unknown. We would have to play a great game but it's possible.

I would have to say over. We managed 3 this year with a brutal schedule so only a few more shouldn't be that difficult with losing very few seniors. Isn't next years schedule a little easier than this years was? Maybe not by much. We had a lot of youth playing on the team and some bad coaching so I think a better coach and experience should get us a few more wins. Anything can happen but I am going to say over 5 wins.

There is no learning curve for a Kill-coached team. 6-6 and a minor bowl win.

Your personnel dictates what you do with your formations. Coach Kill has always tailored his offense to his personnel at best scouting NIU from last year will only give USC the basics.

Under. I think the schedule is a bit harder, outside of a couple OOC cupcakes, than people are giving it credit for.

Under. I think the schedule is a bit harder, outside of a couple OOC cupcakes, than people are giving it credit for.

Ok then how about this? The schedule next year is slightly less hard than this years was? I don't think our schedule is easy by any means but this years was brutal.

Ok then how about this? The schedule next year is slightly less hard than this years was? I don't think our schedule is easy by any means but this years was brutal.
I think that's fair. There's also some roster turnover, scheme changes and other things to take into account.

We will beat USC. the other 3 NC games will be W's. In the BT we will keep Floyd, bring home the Jug, and beat Illinois and NW. 8 wins, I hope.

I am going out on a limb here: Either over, under, or equal. That is committment. :)

We will beat USC. the other 3 NC games will be W's. In the BT we will keep Floyd, bring home the Jug, and beat Illinois and NW. 8 wins, I hope.
USC on the road is still a tough gig, especially with another year of maturation for Barkley.

I think our schedules are about the same. IMO our schedules are so set up for us to have quite a few wins. They were this year as well. You always want to play your tough games at home and your cupcakes on the road. That is how our schedule was set up this year and again next year.

If Killer J can get this team playing consistent with fewer penalties and fewer turnovers, I can see 6 wins pretty easily. And I didn't drink any kool aid yet this morning.

USC on the road is still a tough gig, especially with another year of maturation for Barkley.

Yes, USC will be tough. I may be wrong, as I often am when it comes to analyzing our beloved Gophers, but I think we have great athletes and we now have a real football coach to teach them what to do. I'm very excited.

How many wins

Looking at your schedule, I think Minnesota will have over 5 wins, maybe finish 6 and 6 or 7-5

I do know that Coach Kill's hiring has generated a lot of interest here in Southern Illinois, and I'm sure that Gopher football will be watched more closely now than in previous years. As I've said before, you have a quality COACH and person, combinations that are hard to find. We are all hoping for the best for Coach Kill and his family up there.
I'm trying to find a Minnesota football hat, which I will wear occasionally, even though Illinois is my first and foremost team.
Best of luck to you

That's a solid over-under line. I'll take the over with projected wins of New Mexico State, Miami of Ohio (Kill exacts measure of revenge for MAC title game), North Dakota State, Iowa, Purdue and Illinois. Maybe a seventh win @ Northwestern.

Thankfully, Miami loses a TON after this year. EIGHT defensive starters graduate (12 of the two-deeps on defense) and six offensive starters along with the starting QB (eight regular contributors). The Gophers will shred Miami I believe.

Illinois actually returns a lot of players. Glad that game is at home.

Iowa loses an enormous amount as well. No reason to expect the Gophers can't win that game.

There is potential to have a decent season, no doubt about it. They even get two weeks to get ready for the Nebraska game, at home.

Top Bottom