"Outside" perspective of student ticket saga with Sconnies

Reaction score
This process is rather common at a lot of universities. It just doesn't happen at Minnesota. It happens in a lot of places. At Purdue, Notre Dame fans buy full season tickets every other year just so they can go to that one game in Ross-Ade. The rest of their tickets end up on E-bay, Craigslist, or go unsed. Notre Dame has so many subway alums and bandwagon fans, this would be their only way to see a game in person. They have no chance of seeing a game in South Bend. That's also why Packer fans seem to be everywhere.

Besides the Irish, how about for Indiana, Michigan, Ohio State or Illinois games at Ross-Ade, their fans obviously dont travel up here as much based on proximity, but do they have a ever have a presence at Ross-Ade? an extremely annoying one? Or does the Purdue faithful usually do a pretty good job of keeping the tickets in boilermaker hands. Is it an issue?

This process is rather common at a lot of universities. It just doesn't happen at Minnesota. It happens in a lot of places. At Purdue, Notre Dame fans buy full season tickets every other year just so they can go to that one game in Ross-Ade. The rest of their tickets end up on E-bay, Craigslist, or go unsed. Notre Dame has so many subway alums and bandwagon fans, this would be their only way to see a game in person. They have no chance of seeing a game in South Bend. That's also why Packer fans seem to be everywhere.

It sounds like you are referring to regular season tickets, not student tickets?

tickets

How does a ND fan buy student tickets at Purdue? There must be a process so they have to show they are students to but the tickets.

How does a ND fan buy student tickets at Purdue? There must be a process so they have to show they are students to but the tickets.

I'm just going to guess that it is the same way Wisconsin fans are rumored to be attempting to buy student season tickets at Minnesota--through a friend that is a student.

Guys it's pretty easy and a common thing. Say a friend of mine wants to come for a game, he's a Wisconsin fan. I get him a student ticket and I go through the gate first and show my I.D. Because of the volume of people coming through the gates, the gate people cannot possibly look close enough at my I.D. so my friend then hands me back his I.D. It's something that cannot be prevented because, again, of the volume and I'm sorry but it really shouldn't seem like that big of a deal to people.

Guys it's pretty easy and a common thing. Say a friend of mine wants to come for a game, he's a Wisconsin fan. I get him a student ticket and I go through the gate first and show my I.D. Because of the volume of people coming through the gates, the gate people cannot possibly look close enough at my I.D. so my friend then hands me back his I.D. It's something that cannot be prevented because, again, of the volume and I'm sorry but it really shouldn't seem like that big of a deal to people.

I did the exact same thing you are talking about at the University of Texas and no it is not hard.

It would take very little time to glance at an ID to see if this is your ID, way less time than it takes to pat people down, I don't think it would be impractical at all. Just have your ID in your hand as you stand in line. Or how about just checking IDs of anyone who shows up wearing the opponents colors.

Or people could just happen to accidentally spill their drinks on spectators wearing the opponents colors in the student section. If you're there to see the other team, don't use a student ticket.

It would take very little time to glance at an ID to see if this is your ID, way less time than it takes to pat people down, I don't think it would be impractical at all. Just have your ID in your hand as you stand in line. Or how about just checking IDs of anyone who shows up wearing the opponents colors.

Or people could just happen to accidentally spill their drinks on spectators wearing the opponents colors in the student section. If you're there to see the other team, don't use a student ticket.

I agree it takes very little time to look at an ID, yet it still doesn't occur with as much vigilence at other universities as many are hoping for here and I don't see how we can realistically expect that we will be different. You would need to make it a priority and give incentives to the ticket takers to do this and $8 hour is not any sort of incentive. In regards to screening those closer who wear opponents colors, it would be difficult to do because people will get wind of this occuring after one or two games and simply layer to cover up their school colors until they get inside.

We already have people patting people down, they can take two seconds to look at an ID. And sure, people could just put on a red shirt underneath their gold shirt to smuggle it in, but it would help discourage turncoat students.

Not everyone who goes to the Minnesota is a Minnesota fan. There is nothing wrong with wearing a red Vadger tshirt to a game if you buy the ticket, it is your money, your ticket, and your choice what to wear. You cannot deny someone entry based on that. The I.D. situation is pretty much impossible to stop. Again the volume is too large to check ever I.D. Typically if you flash it to the gate person they aren't going to look to hard at it.

Not everyone who goes to the Minnesota is a Minnesota fan. There is nothing wrong with wearing a red Vadger tshirt to a game if you buy the ticket, it is your money, your ticket, and your choice what to wear. You cannot deny someone entry based on that. The I.D. situation is pretty much impossible to stop. Again the volume is too large to check ever I.D. Typically if you flash it to the gate person they aren't going to look to hard at it.

Amen to that. And they may be checking ID's but they aren't "checking" ID's. The ticket person does not have the time or incentive to look that closely if at all, and remember if they checked you or not or if the ID matches. If you are holding something in your hand and flash it, it's good enough for them.

i have brought this up before but at the bsketball game this year security made a girl put on a gold shirt over her badger shirt...also if i see someone who i know is not a student at the U and they are being obnoxious i will have no problem getting someone over there to check their student status

I agree, obnoxious fans shouldn't be allowed no matter who the cheer for. If I was forced to put a tshirt on though I'd be pretty pissed especially if I had fairly bought the ticket. At many school you can buy student guest tickets that allow you to bring anyone to the game, including fans of the opposing teams. There shouldn't be restrictions of who you bring to the game with a guest ticket because they do not need a student I.D. because they are with a student. This system is not terribly flawed because most schools only allow each student to buy one per game and therefore this doesn't lead to a sea of red in the student section.

Amen to that. And they may be checking ID's but they aren't "checking" ID's. The ticket person does not have the time or incentive to look that closely if at all, and remember if they checked you or not or if the ID matches. If you are holding something in your hand and flash it, it's good enough for them.

what are you a f-ing ticket taker in your non GH life?!?! you don't know jack sh!t about how they will interact with people flashing student ID's which do not belong to them. what an idiot....

Dude you need to chill. It's true though. They really don't have the time.

Dude you need to chill. It's true though. They really don't have the time.

no, i don't need to chill. you need to quit posting about crap that you have no real understanding of and no ability to "back up". just because it is your "world view" doesn't make it accurate.

no, i don't need to chill. you need to quit posting about crap that you have no real understanding of and no ability to "back up". just because it is your "world view" doesn't make it accurate.

Bronko, not to be an a**, but your world view isn't inherently accurate either. You need to clue into the fact that most of the folks disagreeing with you aren't trying to troll or flame. I think its great that the U is going to implement an ID policy for the student tickets. But I, like many other posters here, have seen how easy it is to get around such a policy. I do in fact have a real understanding of this type of policy. Poor enforcement of this type of policy has allowed me to get cheap tickets to games at both Kinnick and Camp Randall.

No one knows how well the policy will work or be enforced until the season kicks off. I'm with you in e-mailing key stakeholders at the U. I want to see Wisky fans and cheap tools like Dutchman kept out of the student section as much as you. But having seen the holes in this kind of system myself, I'm temporing my expectations. It's all going to come down to the individual security personal/ticket takers and how they want to do their jobs. There is no perfect system here...All we can hope for is that the folks charged with checking ID's do so to the best of their ability.

There is only one cure for the scalp my tickets apathy. Winning. And the ticket takers don't play any role in that.

People are making these assumptions based on how it has worked at virtually every other university in the country. What great insight do you have to prove otherwise that the ticket takers are going to be vigilent about this, because based on history at other schools it is not likely to happen and no $8 an hour is not going to be an incentive for them to hold up the line scanning ID's with a fine tooth comb.

It's your money, it's your ticket, but what that ticket gets you is subject to the restrictions stipulated when you bought the ticket.

It's your money, it's your ticket, but what that ticket gets you is subject to the restrictions stipulated when you bought the ticket.

I agree with you but I don't remember seeing any stipulations on the ticket agreements stipulating what color of clothing people could wear. That would have to be outlined ahead of time or else you cannot refuse admission at the gate it would see without having to at a minimum refund their money for the tickets.

Any such changes would have to be included as part of the agreement for future years. I was countering the idea that some claim that the U has no right to limit who can purchase and use student tickets. I think the best way may be for the students to make life as miserable as possible for anyone wearing the opponent's colors in the student section. In the other seats, wear any color you like. But students who want to root for some other school should have gone to school there.

I believe my "world view" is pretty accurate because I attend a school where they do implement this I.D. system and where all I have to do when I go in is flash it. After going to Illinois this past fall I found out they do the same and I saw my school colors represented in their student section. I don't want to see of red in yellow anymore than anyone else but it will happen to a lesser extent even through "flashing" a student I.D.

Top Bottom