Outdoor concerts at TCF Stadium??

Gold Rush

Reaction score
I do not know if anyone has talked about this or not, but what does everyone think about
renting TCF Field for outdoor concerts in the future?? I see Green Day just played at Aztec Stadium and just got to thinking about it...

The Twin Cities does not have that many large outdoor areas for concerts and I bet officials at the U of M will be asked about using it in the future. It would be a great source for extra revenue
and I bet it would be a great venue for a larger show that places like Harriet Island or the State Fair couldn't handle. What are everyone's thoughts on that?? Do you think that Gopher fans would be willing to share "their" stadium for events during the off-season?? Football purists may scoff, but it might bring in some extra cash.....

As a few posters have stated before, there won't be concerts in the first year of occupancy. Which likely means we'll have to wait until Spring 2011 to see a big concert at TCF.

That said, I'm told plans and marketing schemes are in the works. After the chaos of the first football season back on campus transitions to a predictable atmosphere and cultural/economic impact forces are known, concerts will become a somewhat regular thing. You said it already. The Twin Cities doesn't have any open air venues with stadium seating, let alone so many amenities close at hand for the traveling acts. Green Day is a good example, or perhaps a band like Metallica. Groups would likely play into the closed end to maximize sound retention and seating. I know they already have a sturdy, removable cover for the field so the turf won't get damaged, kind of like what they put over ice rinks to hold events.

AeroGopher

Thanks for the informative reply. I could definitely see it and actually, I think the Twin
Cities could really use a really nice venue for larger concerts during the summer. I saw the
Dropkick Murphys at Irish Fest and that was a really good time - would love to see a concert at
TCF Bank because I think it would be a great venue for it. The fact that they have a cover to protect the field so the field doesn't get trashed means they have already thought of this and plans are probably already in the works for the future.

Of course, this just means additional revenue streams for the university and of course that is definitely a good thing for everyone!

What is the status on a liquor license for non U athletic events? No one is going to have a concert there if it's dry.

What is the status on a liquor license for non U athletic events? No one is going to have a concert there if it's dry.

I think the dry rule only applies to U athletics.

When I took a tour of the stadium I asked this question, the stadium manager stated that they are going to try and have a medium sized concert next summer (15,000) as a test run where they would have to do those enviromental impact surveys or whatever. And then the following summer is when they would try and get the big acts for 50,000 or so. He mentioned an act like Kenny Chesney which right now would draw the most.

Top Bottom