Outback Bowl ESPN SEC Bias Coverage

My only issue with ESPN that day was that they wouldn't show any highlights of the Gophers win (did they even mention the game?) during the halftimes and in between the Rose and Sugar Bowls. But they had plenty of time to show Alabama beat Michigan. There's little doubt they show highlights if Auburn had won. I get Bama and Michigan are bigger names but it's bizarre they couldn't show a few clips when there was only 4 games all day.

I did find it odd that our game got no mention during half time of the other games. I don't necessarily chalk it up to the fact that we won but it is surprising they didn't even take the time to mention it given how few other games were played on the 1st.

Here's the ratings for New Years Day:

Rose and Sugar Bowls dominate but still not bad for AU-MN.

Here's the ratings for New Years Day:

Rose and Sugar Bowls dominate but still not bad for AU-MN.

14 million+ watched the Michigan-Alabama game. 3.9 million watched the Minnesota-Auburn game. That’s not very good. I’m sure a large percentage of people who tuned in to our game were local.

14 million+ watched the Michigan-Alabama game. 3.9 million watched the Minnesota-Auburn game. That’s not very good. I’m sure a large percentage of people who tuned in to our game were local.
I mean it isn't at all surprising you have a brand name school (Michigan) against the school in NCAA football (Alabama) with coaching excitement (will Harbaugh blow another one, Saban/Harbaugh angle) compared to Minnesota (only people who care now are Minnesotans) against Auburn who wants their coach fired and is the smaller team in Alabama. Was ripe for substantially lower ratings when slotted next to that game

I mean it isn't at all surprising you have a brand name school (Michigan) against the school in NCAA football (Alabama) with coaching excitement (will Harbaugh blow another one, Saban/Harbaugh angle) compared to Minnesota (only people who care now are Minnesotans) against Auburn who wants their coach fired and is the smaller team in Alabama. Was ripe for substantially lower ratings when slotted next to that game
Outback and Citrus bowls are both big enough bowl games that they shouldn't be competing with each other in the first place.

Outback and Citrus bowls are both big enough bowl games that they shouldn't be competing with each other in the first place.

Yeah it is a shame that this is one of the rare times during bowl season where two games are up against each other time wise.

Not shocking that when given the choice more people would pick Michigan/Alabama though because those are the more name brand programs in both cases over Minnesota/Auburn. Those that did missed out on a really entertaining game.

The Citrus Bowl was on mainstream ABC which reaches far higher households than ESPN. Plus, you have the past decade's most dominant program Alabama going against traditionally good Michigan. No question ratings would be far higher for the Citrus. I've always wished the Outback was in a different time slot, but it would need to moved off of January 1 to get its own slot. I wonder why they don't start it at 11:00 am Eastern to get at least one hour of exclusive coverage.

The Citrus Bowl was on mainstream ABC which reaches far higher households than ESPN. Plus, you have the past decade's most dominant program Alabama going against traditionally good Michigan. No question ratings would be far higher for the Citrus. I've always wished the Outback was in a different time slot, but it would need to moved off of January 1 to get its own slot. I wonder why they don't start it at 11:00 am Eastern to get at least one hour of exclusive coverage.
Yeah, if they at least staggered the kickoffs you might get more people watching the Outback, especially if it's a fun game from the kickoff like ours was.

It was nice that they gave updates on the Michigan and Alabama game over the PA.

Less so that the games were at the same time.

Top Bottom