Our WRs are not good

So far, he is probably the most disappointing WR prospect since legendary Gopher commit Hayo Carpenter.
It really is disappointing that Wright has not been able to become a weapon here. He clearly has a lot of talent but he is wasting it by not being willing to do the things he needs to in order to become a great receiver.

As for the WR group as a whole, very clear that the loss of CRAB is having a huge impact on that group. Wouldn't mind seeing some of the younger guys like Brockington get some additional opportunities. MBS is having a rough year and has dropped a lot of really catchable balls.

Yep. Our vanilla offense has been masking our receivers shortcomings for the last couple of years.
In my opinion our vanilla offense does the opposite and exposes our receiver’s shortcomings
More creativity in scheme could create separation at time even if wideouts aren’t that physically gifted

KC looking a lot like Sanford the last two weeks

It really is disappointing that Wright has not been able to become a weapon here. He clearly has a lot of talent but he is wasting it by not being willing to do the things he needs to in order to become a great receiver.

As for the WR group as a whole, very clear that the loss of CRAB is having a huge impact on that group. Wouldn't mind seeing some of the younger guys like Brockington get some additional opportunities. MBS is having a rough year and has dropped a lot of really catchable balls.
Everyone seems undersized to me. All good #3 type guys but nobody with the physical stature to be a true #1 or #2 except Wright who noticeably was low effort yesterday at times

In my opinion our vanilla offense does the opposite and exposes our receiver’s shortcomings
More creativity in scheme could create separation at time even if wideouts aren’t that physically gifted

I really enjoyed Illinois's offensive scheme. Seemed to do things in order to help guys get open and make for some easy throws for their QB. Feels like we don't really do much with motion at all outside of maybe moving BSF a little.

I really enjoyed Illinois's offensive scheme. Seemed to do things in order to help guys get open and make for some easy throws for their QB. Feels like we don't really do much with motion at all outside of maybe moving BSF a little.
Yeah and when we did they blitzed right behind it blowing up a couple of plays

So much man to man.
Mo only hit one home run (as good as he is he doesn’t really make 50 yard house calls often)
Not a receiver could get separation.
BSF couldn’t really get much separation either

Illinois had a pretty simple scheme. We couldn’t get it done because they were way more athletic than us on the perimeter.
Morgan’s interception on the slot fade is a touchdown playcall if QB gets ball out and our wideout can win a 1 on 1. Neither of those things happened.

It was the type of gameplan that would’ve given up 275 passing and 4 touchdowns in 2019 but gives up 4/12 in 2022. Illinois had no fear of our passing game and were proven correct.

Last edited:

The guys being thrown the ball aren’t open. But when the QB makes one read you’re relying on 1 guy being open on a particular play. If he were to look elsewhere maybe someone else is open.

On any given play the best receivers aren’t open. But one of the other WRs might be. Morgan lucked out with Bateman and TJ because they were able to get open at a really high rate. So he only needed to look at them.
They not only got open, they won most battles for the ball as well with DB's. These guys just don't seem to have the hand strength, the instinct to go get the ball and just unfortunately are not even close to the level Johnson and Bateman were at.

I do agree also that Tanner absolutely locks in on his primary receiver and just never really surveys who else might be open. We've seen that his entire career. The OL is not helping either.

I've been concerned about our wide receivers all year. They don't seem to get any separation. I think that is the biggest weakness on the team. My impression is the other team is loading the box to stop the run and our receivers can't get open one-on-one. Illinois receivers were often very open when they caught the ball. Since the Big Ten schedule started, our guys seem too often to be forced to make contested catches which isn't a very reliable way to get receptions.

Not surprisingly, our O-line isn't as good as last year either so I'm sure that contributes.

I thought PJ Fleck being a fringe NFL receiver (a poor man's Brian Hartline at Ohio State) would help his recruiting in that area, but it doesn't look like that has been the case.

He seems like a good, organized coach. Hopefully, he gets better at recruiting receivers.

Seems like teams have learned to scheme the RPO. It happens. We need to evolve and adjust.
this to me is the problem. When you only run the RPO, if you don't have a guy that can hurt you with his feet, it is too easy to sit back into where the windows are. The route combinations and ability to look through reads goes down when you are holding a read for 2-3 seconds then having DLineman or blitzing LBs in your face. There needs to be some straight drops, standard playaction, etc, or a QB change to make this work at a higher level. The QB doesn't have to be Caleb Williams, but he has to be able to get you 4-5 yards when there's nothing there rather than the fade back we typically see out of TM2.

There is a guy starting because the coach likes telling people he knows his famous uncle.
funny-laughing.gif

this to me is the problem. When you only run the RPO, if you don't have a guy that can hurt you with his feet, it is too easy to sit back into where the windows are. The route combinations and ability to look through reads goes down when you are holding a read for 2-3 seconds then having DLineman or blitzing LBs in your face. There needs to be some straight drops, standard playaction, etc, or a QB change to make this work at a higher level. The QB doesn't have to be Caleb Williams, but he has to be able to get you 4-5 yards when there's nothing there rather than the fade back we typically see out of TM2.
We run an RPO with a QB who isn't a threat to be a running option. Brilliant!

I’m not sure you know what RPO means
Hey dummy, Morgan isn't a threat to keep the ball. That limits the RPO from keep, handoff, or pass to handoff or pass.

It's not nearly as deceptive or effective if you don't keep it.

Agree. Receivers are good enough to have a reliable passing game. With Athan's arm, I hope they change a few things up to create more open looks Saturday.

The guys being thrown the ball aren’t open. But when the QB makes one read you’re relying on 1 guy being open on a particular play. If he were to look elsewhere maybe someone else is open.

On any given play the best receivers aren’t open. But one of the other WRs might be. Morgan lucked out with Bateman and TJ because they were able to get open at a really high rate. So he only needed to look at them.
Morgan has often only looked at one receiver. Most of his interceptions have come from throwing into tight coverage. That is not entirely on Morgan. Lack of time due to poor blocking is also a factor.

Yep. Our vanilla offense has been masking our receivers shortcomings for the last couple of years.
You hit the mark. We are not running a sophisticated offense. It is easier to defend than most decent teams show. Two teams in a row have shut us down without much response or adjustment.

So games he’s good he can look at more options and every other game he can’t. That’s a problem.

His good games coincide with good offensive line play giving him enough time to look past the first option. He has immediately had guys in is face way too much the last two weeks. No one can look past their 1st option with that type of pressure.

If this is true his position coach should be all over this. If he won't change he should be replaced. Who would replace him? Well, that might be a problem. But there should be someone on the team who will not quit on routes and go full speed all game. That first INT where our receiver failed to go after the ball in the air was an embarrassment for both the player and position coach. When the ball is in the air, Go Get It!
Wright does beat his man often enough to lead the team in PI flags drawn. He has not seen the ball enough to make a judgment on his value. Morgan rarely looks his way.

Well that’s part of the other problem. Morgan hasn’t had time to look past his 1st or 2nd option with the o line play the last two games.
Maybe he could look at his 3rd and 4th first and then check down his 1st and 2nd. 🤔

Watch the last interception of the game yesterday. He quit on it and it got intercepted. Then one of our assistant coaches lays into him as it happened on the sidelines. He pushes him away and keeps walking.

He is a guy that God gave talent to but he is too stubborn and uncoachable to use it correctly.
Did he quit on that throw or did the DB and sideline just block his route to the ball? Not sure.

Probably had something to do with Mo having a great game. I assume Williams is better in pass protection than Potts so when Mo did go out it was Williams in the backfield on those plays.
Not like we needed a backup RB. Our bell cow had a whopping 18 carries.

There are two things that made Illinois' offensive scheme look so much better than ours.

Their line gave DeVito good protection most of the time. On the occasions when we did get some pressure he easily stepped up in the pocket and had time to make a good throw.

Tanner has never mastered that basic technique.

I think the much more mobile Athan is next man up so we will see if that changes things as you say. I think it will to a degree.

It has less to do with Athan being mobile and more to do with him having the arm talent to actually spray the ball around. Tanner needs 5 seconds of a clean pocket to set his feet

Kirk Ciarrocca benefitted just as much as Morgan did in 2019 from having 2 (maybe 3) NFL-caliber receivers...

We don't really know what KC's offense here will look like with a different QB that can actually stretch the field. I feel like in every press conference, KC repeatedly says "we need call what Tanner does well and avoid what he doesn't do well" KC seems well aware of what he's working with

Top Bottom