Our WRs are not good

Yep. This

I think we have to change things up (see above post), if we want a chance.

Zone run + slant quick throws isn't going to work. They figured it out.

Crazy thing is Mo will still get his 100+ yards and a decent average, because basically what will happen is he'll find a way, through sheer extreme ability, to break a couple long ones. That skews and covers up all the other attempts that don't do much.

Defenses against us can afford to give up a couple big plays leading to TDs, because they know they can stop us enough the rest of the drives.

Mo got the big runs vs Illinois because they were overcommitting at the line almost every play to either stop the run or get pressure on the passer. Mo has the vision to still find the hole or ability to break that first tackle, then it's off to the races.

Done deal. We have one. We have zero. Coaches know it

We seem very uncreative on offense again, just like last year. Since we clearly don’t have the stuff to simply overpower good teams, we need to get creative and unpredictable on offense. This is so much worse than we played Penn State recently. We won two of the last three against Penn State, and the game we lost was in overtime. This beat down really feels bad. It’s like our offensive playbook is a two page pamphlet. Our defense has some real vulnerabilities, too, so we can’t look to it to win games for the offense. If we crap the bed against Rutgers, this could be a rough run to the finish line.

Wright will not be on the team next year. He will transfer. The coaches are done with him.

He is a me first ego guy that just wants balls thrown his way. He will be a star at some FCS school.

Watch him. He quits on routes. He can't get seperation. He goes 1/2 speed half the game.
Well done

The WR room does have an excuse. #1 WR is out for the year. #2 WR, with #1 ability, is a headcase and effectively taken himself out. The rest aren’t starters on a good team or are freshman with no experience. The result is what we have now. Let’s hope they can improve.

The last 11 pass attempts to 22 have resulted in 5 picks. The kid is a menace out there needs to go sit down— play anyone else — other than 5.

The last 11 pass attempts to 22 have resulted in 5 picks. The kid is a menace out there needs to go sit down— play anyone else — other than 5.
Agreed...#22 plays like he's 4 feet tall. So easy to get picks around him.

All of our WRs are shorter and don’t have the “dawg” mentality or the physical ability like TJ & RB had. Yeah, both 22 & 9 are MAC players.

DW has the most potential but we don’t feed him enough or at all.

Our weapons this year are only BSF and MO.

We all know Bateman was a stud. Fleck & Co. also did a great job getting TJ6 to the NFL. Then what? Read Ryan Burns' article today outlining the pathetic WR recruiting we have had with Fleck (less Bateman and CrAB). It is really bad. I'm actually surprised as that seeme like a position he was going to turn around here at the U.

According to Liebert, Wright is done for a while. Can’t say I’m surprised. Anxious to see Brockington play more.

How long can it be until he tweets out that he's entering the portal?

Hey, if he is man enough to admit his mistake, own it, and ask Fleck to make him a better person and player, I'll eat crow. Hope he realizes it and works his rear off.

We all know Bateman was a stud. Fleck & Co. also did a great job getting TJ6 to the NFL. Then what? Read Ryan Burns' article today outlining the pathetic WR recruiting we have had with Fleck (less Bateman and CrAB). It is really bad. I'm actually surprised as that seeme like a position he was going to turn around here at the U.

The WR recruiting is one reason I think Fleck should go with AK the rest of the year. If potential receivers know a QB like AK with explosive talent will be the fixture for the next three years, it could pull in recruits. Morgan? Not so much.

I too hope we stick with AK going forward. I think he's at least as good as Morgan throwing the ball, plus he can get you a first down with his legs. He's the future.

With this OL ... I just think Morgan is a statue. Unless they're going to revert to like in 2019 with 7 or 8 blockers per drop back, maybe they should. But we don't have guys like Bateman who can just go out and Superman their own play.

But PJ can’t have bromance with his uncle if he does that.

Bump -

listening to new episode of Golden Gopher Podcast. Former Gopher OL Derek Burns does a deep dive into the offensive issues with a big focus on the WR's. What they're doing and what they're not doing.

bottom line - the WR's don't have the speed to make defenses respect the deep ball, and that leads to the slants and crossing routes being taken away.

when defenses don't worry about the passing game, that allows them to put more players closer to the line of scrimmage and bottle up the running game.

Burns called for the coaches to try some screens, draws, and swing passes to the RB's in order to make the defenses change what they're doing.

and - a stat that has already been noted:
in the last three games, MBS has been targeted 14 times. those 14 targets have resulted in 5 completions, 4 incompletions and 5 Interceptions.

Tanner doesn't have a deep ball arm, either. Maybe he did in 2019, or maybe Bateman was just that much of a dude. But at least since 2020, when people were wondering if he had a shoulder injury and so that's why they were refusing to throw downfield ... he just doesn't have it.

Burns called for the coaches to try some screens, draws, and swing passes to the RB's in order to make the defenses change what they're doing.
Bolded: so far haven't seen an iota of willingness for that from Fleck or KC.

in the last three games, MBS has been targeted 14 times. those 14 targets have resulted in 5 completions, 4 incompletions and 5 Interceptions.
One of which was a TD that hit him in the hands, that he doesn't catch, and then is tipped for an int. Can't make it up. That's a Big Ten receiver.

Picture being in Athan's shoes. What do you think he might consider this offseason given what he has to work with next year?

As we all know, with our receivers, everyone plays press coverage. How do you beat this coverage? Skiillful receivers use a variety of releases off the line then incorporate different fakes and at the same time, vary their foot speed. Problem , our receivers are to slow to really gain any advantage. Solution - crossing patterns, or rub Or pick patterns. Since the opponents know this, they work hard on the crossing patterns and then alert the game officials to the illegal rub patterns-offensive pass interference. We’re screwed.

I forgot one other highlight from the Gopher Gridiron Podcast.

According to Ryan Burns, 9 WR have been recruited by MN and then left via transfer. Of the 9 who departed, the WR currently having the best season is: Brock Annexstad.
through 7 games, he has 12 rec for 169 yrds, (14.1 avg) and 1 TD.

so, it's not like guys are leaving MN and becoming stars at another school. the overall level of recruiting at that position has been flat-out poor.

Burns said the Gophers need to go to the portal and find at least 3 WR's who can all run at least a 4.5 40-yard dash.

Any of the freshman WRs known for their speed in highschool?

Bump -

listening to new episode of Golden Gopher Podcast. Former Gopher OL Derek Burns does a deep dive into the offensive issues with a big focus on the WR's. What they're doing and what they're not doing.

bottom line - the WR's don't have the speed to make defenses respect the deep ball, and that leads to the slants and crossing routes being taken away.

when defenses don't worry about the passing game, that allows them to put more players closer to the line of scrimmage and bottle up the running game.

and - a stat that has already been noted:

Yeah, pretty ugly stats. We have big but lazy, fast but small and bad hands, and small and quick but not blazing fast. We could probably deal with big and slow (relatively vs eg Bateman) if they can make 50/50 catches reliably. Right now it’s like 20/80. Maybe worse in one on one.

100% and one of the areas I'm shocked we stink at

Plus early on it felt like we had at least 5 WR commits every year

Top Bottom