Our Stadium

IrishGoph55

Reaction score
How does it compare to other Big Ten Stadiums? I know it’s not the biggest but I love it. It’s modern, clean, sells beer. I like the open section by the end zone. I’ve never been to any other Big Ten stadiums but I read someone mention MSU was a dump.

I appreciate the fact it is much more comfortable to watch a game at the bank compared to most other college stadiums that were built when people were seemingly half the size they are now.

You get really well acquainted with your knee caps at most other stadiums.

I got my license in 2006....at which point I started going to more Gophers football games. Probably only went to one.....maybe two per year prior. Admittedly....I wasn't much of a sports fan prior to HS.

But it's funny you brought this up....as I was thinking about it just this past week. While I don't think it would have changed my overall fandom of the Gophers....I absolutely think TCF played a part in turning me into a diehard fan. Experience and atmosphere really helped make up for the fact that the team was pretty dismal those first few years in the new stadium. And the Metrodome had very little of both of those.

Also....I haven't been to any other Big Ten stadiums. But I hope to change that in the future.

Corn Nation guy was here for Nebbie's last visit and was very complimentary, especially the atmosphere.

As for our nemesis to the East, I believe they refer to our stadium as a "stadiette" compared to theirs.

Bottom line is the chairback sections are a great feature. Our east-west orientation is very uncommon...maybe only 4-5 stadiums nationally oriented this way. All the others are north-south.

Shall we initiate the "which is better..."sunny side" or "shady side" debate?"

I love our stadium. The thing I don't understand about the U is why we can't fill the damn thing up at 50K? Even when we're good we struggle to sell out. MSU was full this weekend, and yeah, can confirm their stadium is below average. We have one of the best B1G stadiums. Are our tickets just more expensive? I don't get it. I want us to someday be able to have a full house every week with consistency.

Genuinely curious what everyone's thoughts on this are.

go gophers!

I love our stadium. The thing I don't understand about the U is why we can't fill the damn thing up at 50K? Even when we're good we struggle to sell out. MSU was full this weekend, and yeah, can confirm their stadium is below average. We have one of the best B1G stadiums. Are our tickets just more expensive? I don't get it. I want us to someday be able to have a full house every week with consistency.

go gophers!
Lots of pro-sports options.
Program mediocrity from 1968 through 1998.
Zero Administration support for revenue sports from mid-1970s to mid-1990s.
Metrodome from 1982 to 2008 as the stadium.
Lost at least 2 generations of students due to commuter campus model.

This is a start on the institutional side. Prior to the Vikings this was a Golden Gopher town.

Last edited:

go gophers!
This has been discussed on here a lot over the years. It's a combination of factors. Tickets are probably too pricey especially for some of the seats, like the upper deck.

Also I'm guessing we are the smallest metro area that has all 5 major sports (if you count soccer as major) and also a P5 football team. There's a lot of competition for the discretionary dollar here so fans are just choosier with what they are going to spend their money on. So when it comes to Gopher Football they tend to wait it out and make sure we are a legit contender before spending their money.

There is not a bad seat in the house....

I enjoy my 4 seats 15 rows up in the upper deck in Section 215, on about the 5 yard line. Pay extra for seatbacks to prevent encroaching squatters trying to squeeze into the bench seating (a rarity). Excellent viewing, great people.

Season ticket only $310. BEST sports value in town. Also, I went to the top of the stadium to buy a beer from the concession up there, and the view from the top railing is spectacular.

How does it compare to other Big Ten Stadiums? I know it’s not the biggest but I love it. It’s modern, clean, sells beer. I like the open section by the end zone. I’ve never been to any other Big Ten stadiums but I read someone mention MSU was a dump.
It’s pretty nice for a big ten stadium. Just on the small side.

It’s nicer than every away stadium I’ve been to. Northwestern, Ohio State, Michigan State. I’ll be knocking PSU and Wisconsin off the bucket list this year too and I expect Minnesota will still be nicer than all of those.

I appreciate the fact it is much more comfortable to watch a game at the bank compared to most other college stadiums that were built when people were seemingly half the size they are now.

You get really well acquainted with your knee caps at most other stadiums.
Yup, in life some of us follow the bell-shaped curve literally.

Our biggest secret weapon is exporting McDonald's and KFC to Russia. They are getting just as hefty. They had an army general that was recalled to duty early in the Ukrainian slaughter of Russian troops that weighs about 400 pounds.

Visitors from the other teams always have nice things to say when I chat them up.

They love how modern it is/ nice bathrooms/ no bathroom lines.

Penn State fans noted how great it was you could go in any entrance, walk around and enjoy the whole stadium.

love the stadium. buy a cheap ticket, go to upper concourse and follow the ball up and down the field, always on the line of scrimmage

There is not a bad seat in the house....

I enjoy my 4 seats 15 rows up in the upper deck in Section 215, on about the 5 yard line. Pay extra for seatbacks to prevent encroaching squatters trying to squeeze into the bench seating (a rarity). Excellent viewing, great people.

Season ticket only $310. BEST sports value in town. Also, I went to the top of the stadium to buy a beer from the concession up there, and the view from the top railing is spectacular.

This. Well designed stadium provides good sightines regardless of where you sit.

Visitors from the other teams always have nice things to say when I chat them up.

They love how modern it is/ nice bathrooms/ no bathroom lines.

Penn State fans noted how great it was you could go in any entrance, walk around and enjoy the whole stadium.
No bathroom lines????? It can be pretty bad during the sellout games (even if you go a few minutes before half/quarter). But maybe other college stadiums are even worse?

No bathroom lines????? It can be pretty bad during the sellout games (even if you go a few minutes before half/quarter).
That’s about it in terms of bathroom lines in my experience.

Lots of pro-sports options.
Program mediocrity from 1967 through 1998.
Zero Administration support for revenue sports from mid-1970s to mid-1990s.
Metrodome from 1982 to 2008 as the stadium.
Lost at least 2 generations of students due to commuter campus model.

This is a start on the institutional side. Prior to the Vikings this was a Golden Gopher town.
Yeah I think the old commuter campus model hurt us a bit for sure as do all of the other factors.

go gophers!
That’s because the idiots buy tickets to watch the Vikings. Those people don’t appreciate football the way that you and I do. I’d rather watch my grass grow than watch the Vikings.

I’ve been to every other B1G stadium, and we are extremely fortunate to have HBS. On the whole, every other stadium has been around for many, many years, and shows it. If you think bathroom and concessions lines are bad at our stadium, go to another college stadium and you’ll be singing a different tune.

The security lines at Beaver Stadium were unlike any I’ve ever seen for a sporting event, so be prepared if going there. Even with that, that was my favorite opposing stadium - the location, the fans, the atmosphere are awesome.

You have a debate if you’re talking about atmosphere, as many other larger stadiums have that over HBS. But if you’re talking general fan experience and “nice-ness”, our stadium is leaps and bounds better than the rest. Many of the other stadiums are glorified erector sets and/or comparable to a high school stadium. The amount of space you get in your seat at Memorial (NE), Ohio Stadium and the big house is laughable.

Corn Nation guy was here for Nebbie's last visit and was very complimentary, especially the atmosphere.

As for our nemesis to the East, I believe they refer to our stadium as a "stadiette" compared to theirs.

Bottom line is the chairback sections are a great feature. Our east-west orientation is very uncommon...maybe only 4-5 stadiums nationally oriented this way. All the others are north-south.

Shall we initiate the "which is better..."sunny side" or "shady side" debate?"
Why is the direction usually north-south? Wind?

Top Bottom