gopherhoopsguy

Reaction score
Let's do this!
PG Tre Jones
SG Gabe Kalscheur
SF Mathew Hurt
PF Race Thompson
C Daniel Outro

All with Minnesota kids! Can we say final 4!

Dream Big!

I actually think Minnesota would be a great fit for Tre. Fits his style of play well and he would be coming to a program where he could immediately be a key starter and eventually be the star if he doesn't turn pro, ala Coffey. I've seen him multiple times, and while I think he'll be a soild Power-5 player, I truly believe he would be in over his head at a blue blood school where he might struggle to find a role in which he could be a key contributor.

I see him in that 30-50 range as a recruit, not so much a guy who could take a blue blood program by storm (like his older bro, Gary Trent, and Matthew Hurt all can)

I think this year's squad could be truly special next year if all the starters remain for next season.

I actually think Minnesota would be a great fit for Tre. Fits his style of play well and he would be coming to a program where he could immediately be a key starter and eventually be the star if he doesn't turn pro, ala Coffey. I've seen him multiple times, and while I think he'll be a soild Power-5 player, I truly believe he would be in over his head at a blue blood school where he might struggle to find a role in which he could be a key contributor.

I see him in that 30-50 range as a recruit, not so much a guy who could take a blue blood program by storm (like his older bro, Gary Trent, and Matthew Hurt all can)

I don't know if he starts over sophomore Washington.

fab 5

In all likely hood, Tre ad Hurt will be going to blue blood schools. I think we have a decent shot at the other 3.

Let's do this!
PG Tre Jones
SG Gabe Kalscheur
SF Mathew Hurtn
PF Race Thompson
C Daniel Outro

All with Minnesota kids! Can we say final 4!

Dream Big!

Quite honestly, Pitino was hired in part because of the hope he could sell refrigerators to Eskimos. That lineup is a national title contender if not a national title favorite when you combine it with the sitting roster. He needs to be able to sell that vision to these guys. In 1995, Larry Davis told Bobby Jackson that he guaranteed the Gophers would go to the Final Four if he signed with the Gophers. That might have put us over the top with him. That's what you gotta do.

In 1995, Larry Davis told Bobby Jackson that he guaranteed the Gophers would go to the Final Four if he signed with the Gophers. That might have put us over the top with him. That's what you gotta do.

Hindsight suggests other things were guaranteed as well.

If you're talking about improper benefits, nothing of the sort was ever alleged or proven. I doubt if they told him that a kind lady would do his homework for him.

In all likely hood, Tre ad Hurt will be going to blue blood schools. I think we have a decent shot at the other 3.

We will hopefully have some real momentum going by the time Hurt theoretically commits in the fall of 2018. Plus the fact that we're the only ones who can offer him the opportunity to play with his brother. I heard speculation that we could have gotten Henry Ellenson if Wally had been here.

Ellensen didn't get enough PT.

MMM... I disagree. Hurts are a University of Minnesota family and love the gophers. I don't think we get Tre, although I think he would probably start over soph Isaiah Washington, but I'm feeling more confident Matthew Hurt will be a gopher.

Honestly, a team with the starting five the OP mentioned and the rest of the current roster would be a Big Ten title contender. Heck, we could win the Big ten with a starting five of Washington, Kalscheur, Hurt, Hurt and Thompson. I think Thompson, Hurt, and Oturu are really all more power forwards though.

MMM... I disagree. Hurts are a University of Minnesota family and love the gophers. I don't think we get Tre, although I think he would probably start over soph Isaiah Washington, but I'm feeling more confident Matthew Hurt will be a gopher.

Honestly, a team with the starting five the OP mentioned and the rest of the current roster would be a Big Ten title contender. Heck, we could win the Big ten with a starting five of Washington, Kalscheur, Hurt, Hurt and Thompson. I think Thompson, Hurt, and Oturu are really all more power forwards though.

you don't need a true center in college basketball... actually you might not need a true center in the NBA anymore as long as you have 2 decent PFs

I would take a bet on where Hurt goes? Just look at the McDonald's all american roster every year and see how many play in their home state?

U can't count out Hurt! I M extremely excited for next years class and everyone coming back this year! I believe we have some very excited years ahead of us for gopher hoops!

Dumb-dumb; seniors at many top schools don't attend classes in the spring.... Additional probation for Minnesota as a result of North Carolina's academic infractions!!!

I don't know if he starts over sophomore Washington.

After seeing Washington video, I wonder as well. It will be fascinating to see if Washington finds a way to start next year. If that would somehow happen, then next year's team will be special.

Doubt Washington starts next year but if he can play 20ish minutes a night off the bench that'd be fine. Gophers have 3 starting perimeter players but no depth behind them. Right now they've got 4 guys basically for 3 spots. Springs graduates and Washington could replace those minutes.

Agreed Washington likely doesn't start, after all which player would he unseat? Unless he is some amazing surprise. If we say who replaces Springs minutes, if Harris is the shooter he may get those minutes. Or can we say from time to time we will see a four guard offense? That's also hard to imagine with the bigs that we have. At the end if the day Patino has a nice deck of cards to use next year.

Obviously we are all guessing

Agreed Washington likely doesn't start, after all which player would he unseat? Unless he is some amazing surprise. If we say who replaces Springs minutes, if Harris is the shooter he may get those minutes. Or can we say from time to time we will see a four guard offense? That's also hard to imagine with the bigs that we have. At the end if the day Patino has a nice deck of cards to use next year.

But, i bet Washington starts. He will be our only point guard imo Mason, I think, would be better as a 2 guard in college. Also hard to tell without seeing how comfortable Mason would be there but Washington is going to be fun. Like Pitino said, when Mason doesn't play well, the whole team looks bad. I am hoping Washington fixes that.

Quite honestly, Pitino was hired in part because of the hope he could sell refrigerators to Eskimos. .

As evidenced by Washington signing with us coming off a 8 win season. I realize he is not "one of us", but if he was local, folks would be going bonkers even more than they are.. and I would be shocked if he is not starting his Sophmore year, regardless of Tre or anyone else signing here. The future is here!

One thing I've learned over the years following recruiting is that fantasizing about potential lineups in future years with top recruits is a great way to set yourself up for disappointment.

My dream lineup at one point was

PG: Tyus
SG: Andre Hollins
SF: Vaughn
PF: Travis
C: Walker/Elliason
6th man Joe Coleman

I strongly felt at that time that that potential lineup could have maybe gotten us to an elite 8 or final 4. Never happened.

This was also a very nice fantasy lineup I once had.

PG: Jaquan Newton/Jarvis
SG: Isaiah Whitehead
SF: Vaughn I think?
PF: Travis/Illikainen
C: Ellenson

Also, the class calculator on 247 especially for football is the greatest tool of all time to set yourself up for disappointment.

Bottom line, any team can have a stud roster IF they land every single one of their #1 targets. Unless your Duke or Kentucky, no team ever does that.

Top Bottom