Our new PG

Hahaha, good call. It's nice that we have a new missed-layup around to piss everyone off with the negative broken record. Too bad some of the great "NIT Bound" posters haven't crawled back since we made the tournament.

Hmm. You mean like when he declared that we WOULD lose the Wisconsin game at half-time? He wasn't hoping we would, but he was planning on it. Now you can see the difference. :D

I want to start off by saying i trust Tubby and his judgement on recruiting, but lets be serious i don't think even Tubby thinks this guy will contribute next year. He is getting him for 2012 or 2013. There is just no way a guy this much under the radar is capable of starting and contributing heavily to a team with NCAA asperations. What this should tell us is that Tubby's does not feel confident about getting a top of the line PG in next years recruiting class at this time and is getting this guy hoping his curve upwards continues to climb where he will contribute in years 3 and 4.

I want to start off by saying i trust Tubby and his judgement on recruiting, but lets be serious i don't think even Tubby thinks this guy will contribute next year. He is getting him for 2012 or 2013. There is just no way a guy this much under the radar is capable of starting and contributing heavily to a team with NCAA asperations. What this should tell us is that Tubby's does not feel confident about getting a top of the line PG in next years recruiting class at this time and is getting this guy hoping his curve upwards continues to climb where he will contribute in years 3 and 4.

I disagree a bit here. If Tubby didn't think Maverick could play next year then I would be willing to bet he would gamble and bank the scholarship, betting that he will get a better one next year. In fact it's the uncertainty about Nolen that would seem to be the reason we are signing Maverick. If Nolen can play then we have a solid starting point and a combo in Devoe that has proven he can play the point. It appears to me more that Maverick is a plug in backup for this coming year if Nolen can't play. Furthermore, if he thought this guy can't play at all next year why wouldn't he just go with non-scholly guys like Stark and Allen??

So did Maverick sign, decide not to sign? Anybody know? With Walker and Oto it seemed we knew the minute they signed.

I disagree a bit here. If Tubby didn't think Maverick could play next year then I would be willing to bet he would gamble and bank the scholarship, betting that he will get a better one next year. In fact it's the uncertainty about Nolen that would seem to be the reason we are signing Maverick. If Nolen can play then we have a solid starting point and a combo in Devoe that has proven he can play the point. It appears to me more that Maverick is a plug in backup for this coming year if Nolen can't play. Furthermore, if he thought this guy can't play at all next year why wouldn't he just go with non-scholly guys like Stark and Allen??

I think you hit the nail right on the head.

So did Maverick sign, decide not to sign? Anybody know? With Walker and Oto it seemed we knew the minute they signed.

Marcus has tweeted today that his visit went well and Tubby spent half the day with him yesterday. Perhaps they don't want him to sign officially until JC has withdrawn. I'm guessing they wouldn't be too happy if he signed and then Cobbs decided to stay. There really isn't a need for both players, even though they have 2 open scholarships at the moment. I'm thinking the last one is either going to be banked or given to Royce if he ever gets it together.

Marcus has tweeted today that his visit went well and Tubby spent half the day with him yesterday. Perhaps they don't want him to sign officially until JC has withdrawn. I'm guessing they wouldn't be too happy if he signed and then Cobbs decided to stay.

thanks for the info howeda

Maverick has returned home, says his new home will be Minnesota. Loved the visit.

Story from Marcus:

Gophers land guard Maverick Ahanmisi of Stoneridge Prep
By Marcus R. Fuller
[email protected]
Updated: 05/06/2010 08:56:16 PM CDT

Maverick Ahanmisi, a fifth-year senior guard from Stoneridge Prep in Tarzana, Calif., gave an oral commitment to the University of Minnesota men's basketball program Thursday.

"I loved the Gophers," said Ahanmisi, who made his official visit Wednesday. "I felt like it was a great fit for me."

Gophers coach Tubby Smith was looking to land a point guard in the 2010 recruiting class, especially after getting beat by Texas for All-American Cory Joseph from Findlay Prep in Las Vegas.

The 6-foot-2 Ahanmisi can play either guard position but isn't rated by either Rivals.com or Scout.com. The half-Nigerian and half-Filipino native of California was a relatively unknown prospect this year, but he averaged 20 points a game during his senior season at Golden Valley High School in Santa Clarita, Calif., in 2008-09.

The former Boise State recruit failed to turn in his academic information on time to the NCAA Clearinghouse to be eligible to start his freshman year, so he went to prep school. Ahanmisi, who said he plans to sign this weekend, will be the fifth member of Smith's 2010 class. He joins Canadian center Maurice Walker, Latvian forward Oto Osenieks, Nebraska center Elliott Eliason and Tennessee guard Austin Hollins.

The Gophers have six scholarships available for next season, with freshman guard Justin Cobbs expected to transfer and junior Paul Carter transferring to Illinois-Chicago to be closer to his 14-year-old sister who is battling cancer.

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_15034907

Go Gophers!!

So did we sign Maverick? Last I heard he was scheduled to visit on Wednesday with an offer and and an acceptance being likely. Since that time, I can't seem to find anything among the threads that indicates that we actually offered and he actually did accept. Did we? Did he?

Here are some additional quotes from Monter:

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/968418.html

What was it about Minnesota that made you realize that this is where you want to be?

“A lot of things. A lot of positive things. On of the things I look for is how I fit in with the team, like if I like my teammates. I am going to be with them 24/7, so you’ve got to like your teammates and of course, the coach. I just felt like it was a good fit and the environment was great. I just felt like it would be a good fit and I would like to go there and I’d have a good time going there.”

What other visits had you taken and what other visits were you planning on taking before coming to Minnesota?

“I had taken a visit to UCSB and before Minnesota, Loyola of Chicago wanted me to come out on a visit.”

What they told you your role is going to be with the team?

“As of right now, I’ll be helping back up and as of what I’ve heard from them, I’m what they need to really help space the floor, when we get it into the post and they kick it back out for a jump shot. That will basically be my role, to help space the floor, bring up the ball.”

What are you strengths as a player?

“My strength as a player is my jump shot. I’ve got a good jump shot. I get a lot of tipped passes.”

What thing are you working on to improve as a player?

“Ballhandling and probably get better on my on-ball defense.”

Have you thought much about a possible major?

“Most likely, business and sports management, something like that.”

Do you know when you are going to arrive at Minnesota are you planning on coming up for summer school in June?

“I’m actually supposed to call Coach today or tomorrow and he will give me all the details.”

Branch West Recruiting Assistance Service head Bob Gottlieb said that Ahanmisi enjoyed his visit and wanted to commit to Minnesota shortly after the trip.

“They offered Maverick a scholarship and he wanted to sign, but they said “Look, go home and sit down with your family and make sure that this is the right thing for you and that this is what you really want and if it is, we would really love to have you.”

Gottlieb said that Ahanmisi enjoyed his time in Minnesota.

“I know that he loved the visit. He had a great visit. Tubby Smith, the whole day, was with him personally. Things could not have gone any better.”

Gottlieb said that Ahanmisi is a player with many strengths.

“Tremendous shooter and scorer. He is a great, great shooter with range, but he is much more than a shooter. He is a scorer. He does everything. He is a complete offensive basketball player. He can drive. He can break a defense down. He can find the open people. He’ll also finish. He sees the court extremely well. He knows how to play. He is always under control. He always plays within himself. He’s been playing with him for two and a half years and we run things like a college program. He will certainly bring to the table, someone who is ready to play. Tubby plays straight up defense and Maverick is very athletic and he anticipates well defensively. I think that is one area that he needs to improve a bit, but with Tubby’s coaching and his general talent and athleticism, I don’t see any problems. He is very bright and a quick learner. He is one of the best players I’ve had in the last ten years or so. I’ve had Cole Aldrich and Deon Thompson from North Carolina. We’ve had some really good players and he is probably the best natural scorer of the bunch.”

Gottlieb think that Ahanmisi can also play point guard for the Gophers, which could be a trouble spot for Minnesota with questions about the eligibility of Al Nolen and transfer of freshman Justin Cobbs.

“Maverick in high school, for Golden Valley, played point exclusively. The preceding summer for me, he played point. Last summer, we moved him to the off guard in order to take advantage of his vast scoring skills. He is capable of playing wither one of them. One of the other attributes he has, he might be the best end of the game scorer that I have had in a long, long time. Someone that you can run things for in the last two or three minutes and have him come off screens and nailing jumpers with the game on the line. He is really, really good at that and that is a rare quality. I think that he is a guard. It is almost sacrilegious to have to say that he is an off guard. That he is a point guard. He is a guard. He is a complete player offensively. He knows how to play. He is athletic. He has good ability. He is very bright. He is a smart player. He makes good decisions. He’ll be an asset to the program, whether it is coming off the bench as a freshman and contributing 15-18 minutes a game or whether it is starting. Maverick is ready to play. First of all, keep in mind, he is a fifth year player, too. He played at Stoneridge Prep this year, so he is a year older and that much more experienced than a normal high school player. So it is almost like getting a kid out of junior college with four years of eligibility left.”

Go Gophers!!

So did we sign Maverick? Last I heard he was scheduled to visit on Wednesday with an offer and and an acceptance being likely. Since that time, I can't seem to find anything among the threads that indicates that we actually offered and he actually did accept. Did we? Did he?

He committed yesterday and said he will sign this weekend. See above articles.

First of all, keep in mind, he is a fifth year player, too. He played at Stoneridge Prep this year, so he is a year older and that much more experienced than a normal high school player. So it is almost like getting a kid out of junior college with four years of eligibility left.”
These Prep Schools are the ticket for kids that don't get accepted right away. Get to play a lot of games, travel and don't lose any eligbility. No lose situation for them.

Here are some additional quotes from Monter:

http://minnesota.scout.com/2/968418.html

What was it about Minnesota that made you realize that this is where you want to be?

“A lot of things. A lot of positive things. On of the things I look for is how I fit in with the team, like if I like my teammates. I am going to be with them 24/7, so you’ve got to like your teammates and of course, the coach. I just felt like it was a good fit and the environment was great. I just felt like it would be a good fit and I would like to go there and I’d have a good time going there.”

What other visits had you taken and what other visits were you planning on taking before coming to Minnesota?

“I had taken a visit to UCSB and before Minnesota, Loyola of Chicago wanted me to come out on a visit.”

What they told you your role is going to be with the team?

“As of right now, I’ll be helping back up and as of what I’ve heard from them, I’m what they need to really help space the floor, when we get it into the post and they kick it back out for a jump shot. That will basically be my role, to help space the floor, bring up the ball.”

What are you strengths as a player?

“My strength as a player is my jump shot. I’ve got a good jump shot. I get a lot of tipped passes.”

What thing are you working on to improve as a player?

“Ballhandling and probably get better on my on-ball defense.”

Have you thought much about a possible major?

“Most likely, business and sports management, something like that.”

Do you know when you are going to arrive at Minnesota are you planning on coming up for summer school in June?

“I’m actually supposed to call Coach today or tomorrow and he will give me all the details.”

Branch West Recruiting Assistance Service head Bob Gottlieb said that Ahanmisi enjoyed his visit and wanted to commit to Minnesota shortly after the trip.

“They offered Maverick a scholarship and he wanted to sign, but they said “Look, go home and sit down with your family and make sure that this is the right thing for you and that this is what you really want and if it is, we would really love to have you.”

Gottlieb said that Ahanmisi enjoyed his time in Minnesota.

“I know that he loved the visit. He had a great visit. Tubby Smith, the whole day, was with him personally. Things could not have gone any better.”

Gottlieb said that Ahanmisi is a player with many strengths.

“Tremendous shooter and scorer. He is a great, great shooter with range, but he is much more than a shooter. He is a scorer. He does everything. He is a complete offensive basketball player. He can drive. He can break a defense down. He can find the open people. He’ll also finish. He sees the court extremely well. He knows how to play. He is always under control. He always plays within himself. He’s been playing with him for two and a half years and we run things like a college program. He will certainly bring to the table, someone who is ready to play. Tubby plays straight up defense and Maverick is very athletic and he anticipates well defensively. I think that is one area that he needs to improve a bit, but with Tubby’s coaching and his general talent and athleticism, I don’t see any problems. He is very bright and a quick learner. He is one of the best players I’ve had in the last ten years or so. I’ve had Cole Aldrich and Deon Thompson from North Carolina. We’ve had some really good players and he is probably the best natural scorer of the bunch.”

Gottlieb think that Ahanmisi can also play point guard for the Gophers, which could be a trouble spot for Minnesota with questions about the eligibility of Al Nolen and transfer of freshman Justin Cobbs.

“Maverick in high school, for Golden Valley, played point exclusively. The preceding summer for me, he played point. Last summer, we moved him to the off guard in order to take advantage of his vast scoring skills. He is capable of playing wither one of them. One of the other attributes he has, he might be the best end of the game scorer that I have had in a long, long time. Someone that you can run things for in the last two or three minutes and have him come off screens and nailing jumpers with the game on the line. He is really, really good at that and that is a rare quality. I think that he is a guard. It is almost sacrilegious to have to say that he is an off guard. That he is a point guard. He is a guard. He is a complete player offensively. He knows how to play. He is athletic. He has good ability. He is very bright. He is a smart player. He makes good decisions. He’ll be an asset to the program, whether it is coming off the bench as a freshman and contributing 15-18 minutes a game or whether it is starting. Maverick is ready to play. First of all, keep in mind, he is a fifth year player, too. He played at Stoneridge Prep this year, so he is a year older and that much more experienced than a normal high school player. So it is almost like getting a kid out of junior college with four years of eligibility left.”

Go Gophers!!

For all the weeping and gnashing of the teeth I'm hearing about this signing- this review sounds pretty darn good too me. That's exciting. The proof is in the pudding, but we have really been lacking for a guy who is "a smart player" and has "vast scoring skills". I can't wait to see him in summer ball personally. This might be a real good signing. Welcome Maverick!

That is really a ringing endorsement. Gottlieb really is putting himself on the line. If he can be trusted (along with Tubby) then I welcome him as a Gopher.

I wasn't even thinking about HP. Good call. I can't wait to see all the new recruits. Hopefully they all play. I wonder if Royce will play regardless of his situation with the gophers.

For all the weeping and gnashing of the teeth I'm hearing about this signing- this review sounds pretty darn good too me. That's exciting. The proof is in the pudding, but we have really been lacking for a guy who is "a smart player" and has "vast scoring skills". I can't wait to see him in summer ball personally. This might be a real good signing. Welcome Maverick!

Maverick needs to work on ballhandling and on the ball defense?

I would have thought those would be the first two qualities the staff would be looking for in a late signing guard.

It is obvious that Tubby is looking for a scorer to pick up for Westbrook and then Hoff in another year.

Looks like a good pick up.

"They offered Maverick a scholarship and he wanted to sign, but they said “Look, go home and sit down with your family and make sure that this is the right thing for you and that this is what you really want and if it is, we would really love to have you.”

Anyone else love this about Tubby?

Hoopmasters (Clipped) On Maverick Ahanmisi

... He has combo skills is a powerful finisher off the dribble and has range to the arc which he hits with consistency. he is looking to become a floor leader and is a good passer, but will still be a work in process at the point, but has instincts, size, and quicks to develop into a solid Big Ten lead guard ...

Top Bottom