Our defense not our passing game will define whether we succeed

Ole

Reaction score
Focusing on the lack of passing is way overrated frankly.
The offense will continue to develop slowly towards the staff's goal of a run heavy balanced attack, but the defense has a chance to define this game, season, program, and this staff's legacy here at the U.

The gameplan last year going into Michigan was to play tough up front, force Gardner to make tough throws and get the turnovers that Akron and UConn got from him.
That probably will be the plan again, and I think on defense we have a chance to really take it to them. I love the depth, aggressiveness, and experience we have in our back 7. We have more opportunities to mix up the coverage with this deep group than we did last year and it's shown in the turnovers we've come up with.

I have the feeling that fair or not the crowd will be restless and possibly hostile to Hoke unless they come out and blow us out of the water in the first half.

If we can get a few picks or force them to play a tough and smart field position game into the 4th quarter I think they crumble and make critical mistakes that give us the game.

We're not going to need to light them up through the air to win this thing, just don't turn the ball over early and keep the pressure on them for 4 quarters.

While I agree that the defense is key (we need to make them continue their turnover woes), I do think that a modest passing game and success on defense are related in this game in particular. This won't be SJSU where we can get 6 yards per carry. We'll probably be in the range of 3 to 3.5 per (Michigan thus far is giving 2.5 ypc), meaning to continue drives, win field position, and give our defense a rest, the passing game needs to click. If it's not, we're giving them a shorter field, and having a more tired defense on the field.

We aren't going to need to light them up through the air, but I think we are going to need to connect on some key passing plays and be able to pass better than we have this season to win. If Michigan can load up against the run without any fear of our passing game, they will, and they will shut us down. I agree with you that defense is going to need to be the difference maker for us. But, while the defense will need to fire on all cylinders, we can't afford any facet of our game firing on no cylinders.

Based on Michigan fan comments the key to beating Gardner is getting pressure. Blitz the hell out of him and force him to make quick decisions.

High risk, high reward. Gardner will pick us apart like he has in the past if we sit back. Funchess is a man amongst boys.

The offense will continue to develop slowly towards the staff's goal of a run heavy balanced attack, but the defense has a chance to define this game, season, program, and this staff's legacy here at the U.

The gameplan last year going into Michigan was to play tough up front, force Gardner to make tough throws and get the turnovers that Akron and UConn got from him.
That probably will be the plan again, and I think on defense we have a chance to really take it to them. I love the depth, aggressiveness, and experience we have in our back 7. We have more opportunities to mix up the coverage with this deep group than we did last year and it's shown in the turnovers we've come up with.

I have the feeling that fair or not the crowd will be restless and possibly hostile to Hoke unless they come out and blow us out of the water in the first half.

If we can get a few picks or force them to play a tough and smart field position game into the 4th quarter I think they crumble and make critical mistakes that give us the game.

We're not going to need to light them up through the air to win this thing, just don't turn the ball over early and keep the pressure on them for 4 quarters.

There is a reason people are focusing on the passing game struggles, and not talking much about a very solid defense. You need to have both to beat good teams. See the TCU game for proof of this, it hardly mattered that day how the defense performed, the Gophers weren't winning with an offensive performance like that. Obviously it would be great if the D can force a few turnovers to give the offense a shorter field... but both units need to be solid during Big Ten play

I agree the defense will carry us. The offense has to do what it does without turning the ball over and picking its spots to throw the ball.

In the nonconference we were 74% run and 26 % pass, that will automatically go down. Our opponents were 55% pass and 45% run. I still have concerns if we will match up against Big Ten run teams. I have a feeling both teams this Saturday will try to pound the ball and result in a 13-10 game.

Other teams:

Indiana: 63% run Record (2-1)
Michigan: 57% run Record (2-2)
Wisconsin: 62% run Record (2-1)
Mich. St.: 61% run Record (2-1)
Minn: 74% run Record (3-1)
PennSt: 46% run Record (4-0) Best QB in league

There is a reason people are focusing on the passing game struggles, and not talking much about a very solid defense. You need to have both to beat good teams. See the TCU game for proof of this, it hardly mattered that day how the defense performed, the Gophers weren't winning with an offensive performance like that. Obviously it would be great if the D can force a few turnovers to give the offense a shorter field... but both units need to be solid during Big Ten play

I really am not sure whether the TCU game is a good example of how the O will compete during B1G play. That's a faster defense than we will see all year. Those are also faster wideouts than we'll see all year.

That said, the bigger problem to me was we turned the ball over too many times.

We'll see, I just think people are way underrating this defense because of the garbage points against EIU and MTSU and the yardage totals that were racked up after turnovers gave us points.

It all comes down to being able to keep drives going. And with that, you need some level of a passing game. Very rarely will you be able to run Cobb 7 times in a row without having to punt (at least against Big10 teams). With that said, if the offense isn't efficient, that puts the defense in bad situations, and after a while, even the best defenses break when they're tired/injured. TCU game is the perfect example... TCU got really good field positions and our defense didn't play too bad, yet they scored a bunch on us. So without a respected passing game, they key on the our running game... and it all dominoes from that.

I agree that scUM will try to pound the ball. Our dline is light and very young, and if they have success with the run, it will take the pressure off of whomever is playing QB for them. I have faith in our defense and I am really excited for this game. Those making the trip are going to enjoy a good one I think.

Based on Michigan fan comments the key to beating Gardner is getting pressure. Blitz the hell out of him and force him to make quick decisions.

High risk, high reward. Gardner will pick us apart like he has in the past if we sit back. Funchess is a man amongst boys.

I vaguely remember Claeys talking about this after last year's game. They didn't want Gardner beating us with his feet, so they tried to contain more than pressure him. Claeys said this was a mistake. We gave him enough time to find -- and hit -- open recieivers downfield.

With the way Michigan's offense is playing, we are capable of shutting them down. Field position will be key in this game. If we force them to put together long drives I don't see them scoring many points. Having some success on offense and getting at least a few first downs every drive will be a big factor in field position. Can we churn out multiple first downs with only our run game? I don't think so. We need to be efficient enough in the passing game to give our defense a chance to be dominant, if that makes sense. We certainly don't need to light them up through the air, but as Limegrover said today, we just need to have a higher success rate when we do decide to pass.

With the way Michigan's offense is playing, we are capable of shutting them down. Field position will be key in this game. If we force them to put together long drives I don't see them scoring many points. Having some success on offense and getting at least a few first downs every drive will be a big factor in field position. Can we churn out multiple first downs with only our run game? I don't think so. We need to be efficient enough in the passing game to give our defense a chance to be dominant, if that makes sense. We certainly don't need to light them up through the air, but as Limegrover said today, we just need to have a higher success rate when we do decide to pass.

From Jerry Kill's Press Conference today via Gopher Lady:

Kill • On the big X that's on Cobb's back - "People are going to try to stop the run, and there's no question, we're going to have to throw the ball and throw it well. We threw it 29 times vs. TCU. We want to run the ball, but we were able to hit play action passes. Anybody knows that we've got to do a better job of executing the passing game. I know a lot of people were questioning Saturday. We did what it took to win a game. We'll be prepared to throw the ball as much as we can. We'll have to do some good things in the throwing game on Saturday. It goes back to turnovers, we can't turn it over 2 times and beat Michigan."

Our defense has played solid to great against tough opponents for the past year (Nebraska, Wisconsin, MSU, and TCU). Three of those games we trotted out a pathetic passing game with that defense, and we got beat by double digits in each of them. One of those games we had a competent passing attack, and we won.

Sure, defense is where you have to start, but if we have a passing game as bad as ours is, even if we have a top 20 defense year in and year out, the best we'll ever be able to do is 8-4 (4-4). All we need right now is an average passing offense, and this program can soar.

If your offense isnt effective - 3 and outs, no sustained drives, etc - your defense will suffer, no matter how stout.

Look around the college fb landscape - there are a lot of teams that effectively pass the ball. A lot. MN is not one of them.

That has to change in order for this team and program to rise, imo.

We aren't going to need to light them up through the air, but I think we are going to need to connect on some key passing plays and be able to pass better than we have this season to win. If Michigan can load up against the run without any fear of our passing game, they will, and they will shut us down. I agree with you that defense is going to need to be the difference maker for us. But, while the defense will need to fire on all cylinders, we can't afford any facet of our game firing on no cylinders.

You are on the money. Chris (5TRIVE) Streveler has to be able to hit 25% of what ever pass plays are called.

You are on the money. Chris (5TRIVE) Streveler has to be able to hit 25% of what ever pass plays are called.

What he cannot do is turn it over. A quick pick six and its game over. What Streveler needs to do is hit maybe 3 play action passes. I would like him to be 8-12 for about 140. But what I like, is ideal.

Defense, the running game, and kicking will determine the outcome of this game. A reception here and there will be helpful. There will be maybe 3 or 4 strange plays that will swing play. Always is in these games.

Top Bottom