Ouch! CFN Prediction on 2010 Gophers

I hate to crap in someone's cereal, but needing 8 wins to have 2010 be a success will end up being disappointed. Next year's team isn't going to win 8 games and the reasons have been mentioned over and over again on this board. I'll gladly eat a a large crow sandwich if I'm wrong but people would write books about this team and name schools after Brewster if they can somehow go 8-4 in 2010 given what they're up against and the makeup of the roster.

Like I said in the post directly above yours, we can have different definitions of success. I hate to crap in your cereal, but opinions occasionally deffer between people.

i would love to see us win 8 games, and i think we can, but really i think we will win 6-7.

L-MTSU, i feel nervous about this game, 9-3 team last year, dangerous QB, first game of the year on a thursday night on the road, i hope i'm wrong about this one.
W-USD
L-USC, close like the cal game, lane kiffin will reusse his pants on the sidelines.
W-NIU
W-NW
L-Becky, they'll beat us by 3, as usual
W-PU
W-PSU
L-OSU
L-MSU
W-ILL
W-hogeyes.

i'm probably off on a couple of these games (for instance the MTSU game, and beating both PSU and hogeyes at home) but i think in some way we will win 6 or 7. but i'm not ruling out 8, we would've probably gotten 8 this year with a little more offensive production, especially in the red zone.

Minnesota replaces 9 starters on defense and comes into the season losing their best player on offense and have serious question marks on whether or not a running game can be developed or if Adam Weber will regress even further. The gophers are likely to lose to all of their rivals and go 6-6 again. Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State are clearly better teams than Minnesota. Having two of them at home helps but as we saw this season there is no real home field advantage for Minnesota (4-3 overall). I do hope to see improvement out of Brew's squad because it helps the reputation of the big10 and makes the rivalry games more exciting. Anything better than 6-6 will be a great accomplishment. I see 2011 being the season Minnesota gets above the 7 win threshold under Tim Brewster.

It's all based off the fact that we return most of our starters from an absolutely brutal offensive unit, yet, we lose numerous starters from a defense that was decent (better than we've seen in a while), but wasn't like '85 Bears or anything. They aren't considering the replacements, whether they think they're better or not, and really, they shouldn't. I have no problem with the ranking. You gotta show them you belong higher, not expect it given to you. Though having IU ahead of us is kind of a slap in the face lol. And people are waiting for Michigan to break out, but that's far from a guarantee, though I'm expecting them to make moves this season. Not surprising that Illinois is ranked ahead of us. Other than those three, the rest beat us in the standings last year, so what can you say?

Okay, we lose numerous starters from defense. Heard it a thousand times before. Here's my response, probably also for the thousandth time: Tinsley, Cooper, Kirksey, Edwards, Carter, Collado, Theret, Reeves. I may have forgotten someone else who has seen as much, in some cases more, playing time as the "starters" who are gone. The above players, plus any I've forgotten for the moment, played a lot and played at crucial times all of last year. Once again I remind you, who stripped the ball against Air Force? It was late in a tight game, not the time you'd see a player who is not capable of performing up to a starter's standards. Add to the above players people we used to get excited about, like Maresh, Rallis and Jacobs (wait, are those Minnesota kids? I thought we couldn't recruit our homestate, danny boy) and you've got something to look forward to, not something to moan about. We are going to see what recruiting depth can bring. The next two years will be heartbreakers or they'll be a great ride. If we don't continue to improve it will be time to look for reasons other than personnel, and I hardly ever say that.

It's not as irrational of a prediction as you might think. Our offense showed no signs of improvement last year, and now we will have yet another offensive coordinator & we lose our top 2 receiving threats (not to mention a probabe starting RB). Our defense - which was responsible for half of our wins - loses 9 starters, and we are not known as a team that can reload. Throw our difficult schedule on top of that and we have a ton of work to do just to break .500.

On paper we are not good heading into this year. It will be up to Horton and Brewster's recruits to prove everyone wrong.

I agree. I honestly don't know what to expect for next season, but based on the way we played this year and what we lost in terms of experience, predictions for the team should be modest. I'm hoping the Gophers prove them wrong of course, but I understand the feeling that this year's team could be pretty bad as well.

I'd be happy with 6-6, given the schedule - but for the first time in years, I'm optimistic: 7-5 and looking good doing it. I say this because we were two or three plays away from 8-5 this year (Illinois, Iowa State) and might have won another game, but for the dead-in-the-water offense. I can't believe Horton will put up with a last place offense again this year.

Minnesota replaces 9 starters on defense and comes into the season losing their best player on offense and have serious question marks on whether or not a running game can be developed or if Adam Weber will regress even further. The gophers are likely to lose to all of their rivals and go 6-6 again. Iowa, Wisconsin and Penn State are clearly better teams than Minnesota. Having two of them at home helps but as we saw this season there is no real home field advantage for Minnesota (4-3 overall). I do hope to see improvement out of Brew's squad because it helps the reputation of the big10 and makes the rivalry games more exciting. Anything better than 6-6 will be a great accomplishment. I see 2011 being the season Minnesota gets above the 7 win threshold under Tim Brewster.

Welcome level-headed hawk fan, you must be in the small hawkeye minority that doesn't let their emotions cloud their thinking.

I also have to point out that you're more level-headed then many Gopher fans who think the gophers will win 8 games next year. Seven games is a push, eight wins is a 10 year extension and huge pay raise for Brewster. You even have the clarity to recognize that 2011 is the year that our talent creeps to the top and we have the best opportunity for success - as opposed to those who want to hang Brewster if he doesn't win eight games next year.

Breakout in 2011

I am going out on a limb here, but I feel this is our "breakout" year. We are long overdue for a good season and a few upset wins. Sure would be nice to nail down USC. Maybe Lane Kiffin would shut his mouth for a few weeks anyway.

Our offense needs to improve a lot. Really a lot.

Go Gophers!!!

I think we will be 6-6 again in 2010. 2011 will be the breakout year with experienced upperclassmen in position that have been weak since Brewster has been here.....OL, RB, QB and DE. There should also be continuity of coordinators from year-to-year, 2010 to 2011, for the first time since Brewster has been here....a really big deal.

Welcome level-headed hawk fan, you must be in the small hawkeye minority that doesn't let their emotions cloud their thinking.

I also have to point out that you're more level-headed then many Gopher fans who think the gophers will win 8 games next year. Seven games is a push, eight wins is a 10 year extension and huge pay raise for Brewster. You even have the clarity to recognize that 2011 is the year that our talent creeps to the top and we have the best opportunity for success - as opposed to those who want to hang Brewster if he doesn't win eight games next year.

In this thread there is one guy, God love him, who stated that he thought that the Gophers would win 8 games. A couple thought it was possible. One other guy is apparently a math major who has done the odds against it...:eek:

Now about those many Gopher fans?:)

I predict that in my lifetime we will put a man on the moon...wait...wrong thread

Wow, a little Feb optimism about what I think it takes to count this as a successful season sure garnered a lot of neg rewsponses.

Note that I didn't suggest 8-4 or fire Brew or anything like that, just what I would consider a success.

Sorry for thje sloppiness, I'm on the bb right now.

Wow, a little Feb optimism about what I think it takes to count this as a successful season sure garnered a lot of neg rewsponses.

Note that I didn't suggest 8-4 or fire Brew or anything like that, just what I would consider a success.

Sorry for the sloppiness, I'm on the bb right now.

Rural, it appears that you've been a very, very bad boy.:drink:

This is the statement that makes the most sense. Unfortunately, the 2nd half of our schedule is just brutal.

Here are the likely candidates to see playing time on defense:

DE:
DL Wilhite - 11 total games played, 0 starts, 4 total tackles, 3 sacks
Anthony Jacobs - 23 total games played, 4 starts, 26 tackles, 2.5 sacks
Rashede Hageman - Never played
KGM - Never played
Matt Garin - Never played
TOTALS: 34 games played, 4 starts, 30 tackles, 5.5 sacks

DT:
Brandon Kirksey - 22 games played, 0 starts, 24 tackles, 1 FF
Jewhan Edwards - 24 games played, 1 start, 16 tackles, 1 FR
Eric Jacques - Never played
Harold Legania - Never played
TOTALS: 46 games played, 1 start, 40 tackles, 1 FF, 1 FR

Summary for DL experience: 4 projected starters have combined for 5 career starts. Every projected backup has never played

LB:
Keanon Cooper - 13 games, 0 starts, 43 tackles, 1 sack, 1 PD, 1 FF
Gary Tinsley - 13 games, 0 starts, 21 tackles, 1 sack
Spencer Reeves - 9 games, 0 starts, 1 tackle (most minutes were on special teams)
Sam Maresh - Never played
Brent Singleton - Never played
Mike Rallis - Never played LB in college (safety stats: 16 games, 26 tackles)
Aaron Hill - Never played
Ryan Grant - 11 games, but all at special teams
Totals: 35 games, 0 starts, 65 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 PD, 1 FF

Summary for LB experience: 3 projected starters have never started a game while Reeves has seen little time at the position. Every projected backup as played little or none at LB. Rallis is the only one with experience playing a position on defense and it was at safety

CB:
Michael Carter - 12 games, 2 starts, 11 tackles, 1 sack, 2 PD, 1 FF
Ryan Collado - 37 games, 20 starts, 107 tackles, 2 sacks, 1 INT, 6 PD, 1 FF
Christyn Lewis - Never played (JUCO)
Kerry Lewis - Never played
Dwight Tillman - Never played (JUCO)
Johnny Johnson - played only special teams
Totals: 49 games, 22 starts, 118 tackles, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 8 PD, 2 FF

Safety:
Kyle Theret - 38 games, roughly 32 starts (don't have exact number), 192 tackles, 9 INTs, 20 PDs
Kim Royston - (only listing Gopher stats) - 13 games, 13 starts, 86 tackles, 1 sack, 1 INT, 7 PDs, 1 FF
Hershell Thornton - Never played (JUCO)
Kenny Watkins - Never played
*** include Rallis here if you like but I've heard that he's probably moving to LB.
Totals: 51 games, 45 starts, 278 tackles, 1 sack, 10 INT, 27 PD, 1 FF

Summary of DB experience: 3 of the 4 projected starters have combined for 67 starts (more if you include Royston's couple of starts at Wisconsin). Every projected backup has never played.

Summary of the experience on defense: For the projected starters, almost all of the experience is in the defensive backfield. Of the front 7, they have combined to make 5 total starts.

The biggest thing: Every projected backup has NEVER PLAYED their position.

From an on outside observer, it's hard to take a leap of faith and not predict some major hurdles to overcome when projecting the 2010 Minnesota Gophers. The figures above basically state that the starting front 7 has little experience while every backup has never played their position.

I fully expect almost every preview article or mag to predict dire results for the Gophers. Thankfully the game isn't won on paper but don't act shocked by these types of predictions. The offense was pathetic last year and we now lose our top playmaker and our defense is about as green as it gets.

Not true, They have played, just not in a college game. They have played in high school, special teams, and practices. The gameday experience of players is vastly overrated. Talent makes up for a lot of experience. Who cares if you are experienced if you don't have the tools to make the play.

In this thread there is one guy, God love him, who stated that he thought that the Gophers would win 8 games. A couple thought it was possible. One other guy is apparently a math major who has done the odds against it...:eek:

Now about those many Gopher fans?:)

Thanks for calling me out on it. I should expect more rational Gopher fans. However, I must be a little sensitive from all of those complainers in the last few weeks and those who were dismayed that we didn't win the Rose Bowl last year. I'm pretty sure there are more then one Gopher fan who has posted in the last few weeks that we'll win eight games this year.

I won't raise my expectations until 2011. I'm thinking 6-6, hoping for 7-5 (not unrealistic) and will be extremely happy with 8 wins.

Good Morning Y'all- Had a good night sleep and am seeing things more clearly this morning...

10-2. No excuses. Anything less and Maturi should be Fired, Brew-Fired, Gjere Gray Maresh and Edwards?? Pull the schollies. Sign the title of TCF over to the MN Storm and be done with.

By the way, Costa Rica, what would the odds be of the Gophs going 8-4?? color me interested.

I think this is the year. We win the first 5, lose to Wisconsin, beat Purdue and Penn St, lose to Ohio State, and win the final three. The win against USC kick-starts the decade of the Gopher.

Sounds good in my head.

Top Bottom