Oto Osenieks...next Robbie Hummel?

Research

What data do they use?... If you were to look at NBA players they are not peaking at 24 thats obvious good players get better every year.. players add moves, go to shots etc.. Jordan at 29 was better then he was 24. Wade was a 22yr old junior when he came out he is 28 and much better then his first year or two in the league.

Some players might peak at 24 but could that be the time they stop playing competitive ball? They are done training, working out and practicing hoops daily etc.. Just discussing- its interesting sunday chat..

J. Will

That was a good one! Hopefuly Big John got his degree because only Rec. ball was in his future.

Like Jon Williams?

Truly if the two points on the pendulum are Robbie Hummel on one end and Jon Williams on the other, signs point to Oto leaning to the Hummel side.

A long rangey shooter that can drive and dunk. Not every player has to be an NBA prospect.

Not a lot to go on, a couple of Youtube vids, the other schools interest in him, but Tubby (who did not recruit Big Jon) seeems to have found, at the very least, a solid contributor and, perhaps, our future starter at SF.

It won't matter if he's not any good.

That's exactly the point I was saying. If you think he isn't any good, then fine. Say so. But, age isn't an issue. Certainly not a negative. You've just shown us this amazing research that shows he'll be playing at his absolute prime when he's in uniform for the GOPHERS. So, as I've said from the start - age is a non-starter at worst, a positive at best.

If you think he stinks, then he stinks. Just don't cite age as some huge detriment. Particularly if he's only 20. If he was 30, then sure, it's probably an issue.

In other words, if he's terrible, then it will simply be because he's terrible and played against horrible competition....it absolutely won't have one thing to do with the fact he's 20 years old and entering the prime of his athletic life. So, if the reason you're passing on him is because he's 20, then you're foolish. If the reason you're passing on him is because you think he hasn't played to the level of a Big Ten player should, then state that. Age should have zero to do with it.

But, age isn't an issue. Certainly not a negative. You've just shown us this amazing research that shows he'll be playing at his absolute prime when he's in uniform for the GOPHERS. So, as I've said from the start - age is a non-starter at worst, a positive at best.

If you think he stinks, then he stinks. Just don't cite age as some huge detriment. Particularly if he's only 20. If he was 30, then sure, it's probably an issue.

In other words, if he's terrible, then it will simply be because he's terrible and played against horrible competition....it absolutely won't have one thing to do with the fact he's 20 years old and entering the prime of his athletic life. So, if the reason you're passing on him is because he's 20, then you're foolish. If the reason you're passing on him is because you think he hasn't played to the level of a Big Ten player should, then state that. Age should have zero to do with it.

*kills self*

You cite an article that apparently suggests players peak at age 24, then you realize that the article actually hurts your Oto bashing, so you use Jon Williams twice as an older player who was not good at age 24.

Like Jon Williams?

Well said. He definitely had some contradicting arguments there.

That's exactly the point I was saying. If you think he isn't any good, then fine. Say so. But, age isn't an issue. Certainly not a negative. You've just shown us this amazing research that shows he'll be playing at his absolute prime when he's in uniform for the GOPHERS. So, as I've said from the start - age is a non-starter at worst, a positive at best.

Since Oto is being described as long and slender and a 3-pt shooter, I wonder if Oto reminds Tubby of Tayshawn Prince? Tayshawn can't weigh 150 pounds all wet, but he has a very nice career with the Detroit Pistons and a NBA championship ring on his finger.

Somebody on Twitter made a Kevin Coble/Northwestern comparison. After watching Oto on YouTube, I can see some resemblance.

You cite an article that apparently suggests players peak at age 24, then you realize that the article actually hurts your Oto bashing, so you use Jon Williams twice as an older player who was not good at age 24.

How does it hurt my argument? Jon Williams proves that being 24 doesn't mean you're a good basketball player.

Well... anyway... the good news is we'll have the next four years to argue about Oto.

I think this class is underrated. People put way too much attention on the stars next to someone's name. Tubby already has four quality players who look to provide (thankfully) more drama on-court than off, and who will probably be here longer than one year.

Nobody said being 24 means you're a good basketball player... You contradicted yourself by saying it was a disadvantage that Oto is already 20 and then saying players tend to peak at 24, which is when he would be a senior. Obviously if you aren't good to start it doesn't really matter (Jon's case). It makes sense that you don't think Oto is good or will ever be good (I'm sure you have great reasons for that), but the age argument didn't.

How does it hurt my argument? Jon Williams proves that being 24 doesn't mean you're a good basketball player.

Nobody said being 24 means you're a good basketball player... You contradicted yourself by saying it was a disadvantage that Oto is already 20 and then saying players tend to peak at 24, which is when he would be a senior. Obviously if you aren't good to start it doesn't really matter (Jon's case). It makes sense that you don't think Oto is good or will ever be good (I'm sure you have great reasons for that), but the age argument didn't.

How did the age argument not make sense? He's a better prospect if he's 18 rather than 20.

How did the age argument not make sense? He's a better prospect if he's 18 rather than 20.

So if he turns out to be a great player for us, you'll always think "Yeah, but if we coulda got 'em when he was eighteen...."

Not sure I get your thinking.

He is who he is.

Would you rather have Damian Johnson now or two years from now?

There wouldn't be much difference between Johnson the 23-year-old and Johnson the 25-year-old. He's already about as good as he's ever going to be.

Top Bottom