Other Tailgating Options?

Reaction score
Hi all...new here, so bear with me.

We pick out seats Monday Morning at 10:00 (#21 on the waitlist). And just had a question about tailgating: Are the tailgating lots listed only available to people who purchase season tickets? Or will there be spots available to park in on gameday at lots with spots still open (like Vikings games - $50 to park) ?

Hope this makes sense...

The State Fair lot will be open for those that do not have season tickets.
The other lots will not offer day of game parking for those without season parking passes.

The State Fair lot will be open for those that do not have season tickets.
The other lots will not offer day of game parking for those without season parking passes.

I'm not doubting you but I really wonder how the University is going to handle this. THere will be a lot of out of towners and visiting fans who aren't aware of this that will arrive on the east bank only to discover that they have to meander through unfamiliar side streets to the StPaul campus. What a nightmare if you aren't familiar with the area.

I'm not doubting you but I really wonder how the University is going to handle this. THere will be a lot of out of towners and visiting fans who aren't aware of this that will arrive on the east bank only to discover that they have to meander through unfamiliar side streets to the StPaul campus. What a nightmare if you aren't familiar with the area.

WAAAAAAAAA... it's not like you get to park near the stadium in IC or Madison, so the U will be no different. This is how it is... people will figure it out. If you fail to do the research before visiting for the first time, I have no sympathy for those that get stuck trying to park in dinkytown.

WAAAAAAAAA... it's not like you get to park near the stadium in IC or Madison, so the U will be no different. This is how it is... people will figure it out. If you fail to do the research before visiting for the first time, I have no sympathy for those that get stuck trying to park in dinkytown.

i will second this post. it is incumbent on folks like that to take some responsibilty and do a little research on this fancy new thing they call the interwebs. or pick up the telephone! if you don't.....well too bad so sad.....lesson learned

This is the info that the U already published. I'd be surprised if they changed things only b/c the of the uproar it would cause among season ticket holders who based their parking selections on the info that the U provided.

The only way that I have been able to tailgate in Wisconsin is to be part of the Goal Line Club. Otherwise there are no parking lots for general public. I think the U has provided more than enough parking for visitors.
How do all those parking lots get filled for the State Fair? Falcon Heights becomes Minnesota's third largest city during the last week of August and it doesn't seem people have a hard time finding it then.
Google maps.

I guess it's good $$ generator for the U...just hope people will get the gameday tailgaiting experience.

We chose not to go with the parking pass, since $1140 divided up by 7 games is $40 EACH per game...we just can't afford that. We'll hopefully find another group to go in on it with.

Sorry but this is different. I know of no other stadium where the only gameday parking option is 3-5 miles off campus and requires a shuttle.

Don't know why you would respond as if I'm whining.

There are quite a few non-university lots within a mile of the stadium. If you get to the game early enough, you will be fine.

What percentage of people that bought season tickets didn't buy a parking pass in some respect? Do we know those numbers? That would put in to perspective how many people would be lost/confused on gameday.

I agree that it would suck if you are a first-timer or from out of town and have to find parking, either by making your way to the state fair lots or park on a side street VERY far away. Yes, the internet is handy, but there are a LOT of people who aren't good at using it, or just plain don't (or won't).

I also agree there are some non-U parking lots nearby, but not THAT many. University Ave going east has lots of businesses that won't let people just park there (most lots are pretty small). There are railroad tracks to the north of the stadium, Dinkytown NW (which will undoubtedly be full the night before a game), Stadium Village housing to the south (same as Dinky), and 94/river south of that. West Bank is the best bet for private parking, if you ask me. I also agree with Darren that there are few college stadiums that force non-season ticket/parking holders to go 3-5 miles off campus and take a shuttle in. But that could just be the way it is for us. Maybe that future expansion of buildings to the north of the stadium will include extra parking ramps (capacity > current lots).

On the other hand, if you are making the effort to go to a game on a campus where you know there is limited parking (not shocking - it seems to be on the news ALL the time) you should do a little research.

There are quite a few non-university lots within a mile of the stadium. If you get to the game early enough, you will be fine.

Many of these private lots are also selling out to season passes. Godd for me, I have one of those spots. Tough for the becky and pigeon fans, but then I don't care about them anyway.

But do these lots allow tailgating?

Most likely not from what I have heard. The neighborhood associations will be pushing hard against allowing it. I'm taking the wait and see approach this year since I didn't have a whole lot of options outside of Saint Paul or a parking ramp spot this year. If I can't get a spot to tailgate on the east or west bank, I'll be in Dinkytown or Stadium Village spending my cash in the beer gardens.

Most likely not from what I have heard. The neighborhood associations will be pushing hard against allowing it. I'm taking the wait and see approach this year since I didn't have a whole lot of options outside of Saint Paul or a parking ramp spot this year. If I can't get a spot to tailgate on the east or west bank, I'll be in Dinkytown or Stadium Village spending my cash in the beer gardens.

They may not be allowed by the City, but city ordinances may not have the teeth to declare it.

As for whether the owners allow it, it's each owner's choice.

Yeah, I've been calling a lot of the private lots around dinkytown and east of the stadium getting my name on waiting lists for when they figure out their 2009 plans. I'm thinking something will pan out.

Yeah, I've been calling a lot of the private lots around dinkytown and east of the stadium getting my name on waiting lists for when they figure out their 2009 plans. I'm thinking something will pan out.

What private lots are there? I haven't been there in a while and can't seem to think of anything over there.

Sure maybe other schools don't have a shuttle, but the places I've parked at Purdue, Iowa, Wisconsin, and Ohio State were still long walks (20minutes). It really isn't that uncommon.

If people can find parking around Wrigley Field for 40k, they can find parking around the U for 50k.

Sorry but this is different. I know of no other stadium where the only gameday parking option is 3-5 miles off campus and requires a shuttle.

Don't know why you would respond as if I'm whining.

The U is also a big metro campus. That adds its own challenges that schools in smaller metro's don't have to deal with. And as Omega notes, parking @ other B10 schools may be physically closer but involves a longer walk time-wise then folks at the STP lots will spend on the bus.

They may not be allowed by the City, but city ordinances may not have the teeth to declare it.

As for whether the owners allow it, it's each owner's choice.

The U has made it sound like the City sure plans on trying to enforce a no tailgate rule outside of the U lots. Could be interesting. I'm comfortable with my WB spot but would consider trying to get a closer spot in a private lot for future seasons once I see how things shake out with the tailgate enforcement.

The U is also a big metro campus. That adds its own challenges that schools in smaller metro's don't have to deal with. And as Omega notes, parking @ other B10 schools may be physically closer but involves a longer walk time-wise then folks at the STP lots will spend on the bus.

I get that. Here's my point. Take Purdue for example. I went last year and parked a mile away and walked about 20-30 min through campus to get there. But I didn't have to leave campus to find a place to park. My fear is that a number of people will drive to the east bank and find a ton of "no parking" signs and be directed to meander 5 miles through side streets, off campus to the fairgrounds. At least with these other schools, once you are on campus you may need to walk a long ways but you don't have to leave the campus to park.

Only 3 more months!

I get that. Here's my point. Take Purdue for example. I went last year and parked a mile away and walked about 20-30 min through campus to get there. But I didn't have to leave campus to find a place to park. My fear is that a number of people will drive to the east bank and find a ton of "no parking" signs and be directed to meander 5 miles through side streets, off campus to the fairgrounds. At least with these other schools, once you are on campus you may need to walk a long ways but you don't have to leave the campus to park.

Only 3 more months!

That concern makes sense. My hope is that since the stadium will be a season ticket sellout, communication about the parking options for folks who didn't buy spots in lots will be pretty easy to do. Its not like they're trying to track down single game buyers...they're communicating to folks with established accounts and contact info. A simple mailing with a summary of the options combined with some e-mails and I think you'd have the word out. A little PR work via the local news broadcasts and some roadside message boards (like in construction zones) on key artery roads in also wouldn't hurt.

Only 3 more months!

Every stadium I have went to, I pretty much had to walk 20-30 minutes to the game besides Michigan.

I think complaining about parking is dumb. Get over it. There is no point to talking about this. There will be ZERO constructed lots in the future. At best we can hope for is the allowance to tailgate by the river and in Van Cleve(sp?) and possibly Marcy Park.

People will figure out parking, and 60%+ of fans will not even tailgate. Maybe 80% won't tailgate. Those fans will find ways to get the game, with the least amount of headache. Bus, Park and Ride, St. Paul, West Bank.. whatever.

If you didn't know already. Fans parked at the U and bussed for free to the Metrodome. Humans are smart. They don't like traffic. The figure out "solutions" to not be in traffic.

What private lots are there? I haven't been there in a while and can't seem to think of anything over there.

I can think of one at 13th Ave. & 5th St. in Dinkytown (next to the old HS, across the street from The Chateau). Outside of that nothing comes to mind.

I can think of one at 13th Ave. & 5th St. in Dinkytown (next to the old HS, across the street from The Chateau). Outside of that nothing comes to mind.

That is one, also the one in the middle of Dinkytown.

People often don't think about everything West of the Stadium. Drive down University towards 280. Plenty of businesses with lots.

There is a big lot where they leveled a block of homes in Stadium Village (no idea who owns this).

There should be one again where Hardee's used to be.

The old fire house.

The catholic center has a lot. The luthern church has a huge lot in Dinkytown.

The chuch west of the superblock has a lot.

I am sure there are more....

Top Bottom