Other B1G Team Notes 2023-24

LSU likes an easier non-conference schedule. Any chance the Gophers play LSU this year? The exposure would be good.
I think we already have a game with UConn? Not sure year one is the time to over schedule in the non conference. I think the best way to get better is to play elite competition but common sense needs to temper a year one pre season gauntlet of national title contenders.

Anna Morris, one time top basketball recruit for Northwestern, transfers to Ohio State volleyball

Junior forward Anna Morris will leave Northwestern to start her Division I volleyball career at Ohio State, she announced in an Instagram post Thursday.

Throughout her NU basketball career, Morris averaged 8.2 minutes per game, 0.9 rebounds per game and 0.6 assists per game.

In high school, Morris was named a member of the Naismith High School Player of the Year Watch List, a McDonald’s All-American nominee and Big North Player of the Year. When she joined NU, she filled the shoes of Abi Scheid.

The abrupt switch in schools and in sports comes as a shock for many NU supporters. With Morris’ exit, the Cats will aim to find a forward to fill her shoes on the court.

Rutgers lands 5' 9" point guard Mya Petticord. She was the #81 prospect (ESPN) in 2022 but didn't do much at Texas A & M yet before leaving to Rutgers.

Elissa Brett grad transfers from Bowling Green to Michigan

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- J. Ira and Nicki Harris Family Head Women's Basketball Coach Kim Barnes Arico announced the addition of Elissa Brett as a graduate transfer for the 2023-24 University of Michigan women's basketball team on Friday (April 28). Brett spent the last four seasons at Bowling Green and heads to Michigan for her final year of eligibility.

"Elissa is a proven winner," Barnes Arico said. "She is such a competitor and what is really important during the recruiting process is finding players who fit into our style. One of our core values is competitive greatness; we want players who want to compete at the highest level and who want to win at everything they do. She does all of those things, and I think she is going to be a candidate for our sticker award every single day. She is an exceptional defender who takes charges and rebounds extremely well from the guard position. She can get to the basket and made more than 90 three-pointers last season, so she can really score from all over the court. She also brings a lot of experience to our team, both in the regular season and in the postseason."

Brett spent the previous four years at Bowling Green, graduating 15th in scoring (1,358) and 11th in rebounds (758). For her career, she hit 177 three-pointers to rank seventh all-time. She started in 102 of her 122 appearances, averaging double figures in scoring in each of her last three seasons.

As a senior, she led Bowling Green to the semifinals of the WNIT and to the MAC championship game. She earned a spot on the All-MAC first team, becoming BGSU's first first-team selection in nine seasons. Brett also was named to the all-tournament team and the all-defense team. She led the Falcons in scoring at 14.7 points per game and was second in rebounding at 6.0 boards in 30.9 minutes per game. She scored in double figures in all but six of Bowling Green's 38 games, highlighted by eight 20-point contests.

After starting 11 games during her freshman season, Brett started all but one contest she appeared in over the next three seasons. Her scoring average between her freshman and sophomore seasons nearly doubled, going from 6.3 points per game to 12.0 points per game. She averaged at least six boards per game over her four seasons, going for a career-best 6.7 rebounds per game in 2020-21.

Brett was named to the 2022 Academic All-MAC team and will graduate with a degree in human development and family studies. She is a native of Adelaide, Australia, and joins Chyra Evans as one of Michigan's two Australia natives.

I think we already have a game with UConn? Not sure year one is the time to over schedule in the non conference. I think the best way to get better is to play elite competition but common sense needs to temper a year one pre season gauntlet of national title contenders.

Gophers should play them and beat them. But seriously, what are the odds LSU has an open game for Minnesota.

LSU buzz is sky high. The exposure would be great for the Fab Four Plus More if the Gophers could get it.

Coming to Williams Arena would generate a lot of attention for the game with Minnesota. Playing at LSU would earn a spotlight for MN too. All eyes on LSU this year.

Isn't gonna happen, I know.

SHGopher: Agree with everything you say...but for us only IF we are ready to compete at that level. Could we keep it close for 10 min? the 1st half? IF, we thought we reasonably could do that or better...okay. As a coach, do I have the kind of girls who come into my office every day and ask if we are going to play LSU....cool! But, if I know they secretly are praying we play lesser teams...no, I don't think we are ready to go there. Absolutely need depth to play LSU...have we got any?

But also, what kind of personalities do we have on our team? Would it send them into depression for a month if we got smoked? How good are we? All these kinds of questions are tough for the staff to answer after some small group workouts with half the team in March/April.
What do we have in the portal pipeline coming in? If our best player isn't here yet....that'd be a factor.

If you are going to get beaten by a wide margin, it is not something you want to do twice in November/December. We already have UConn Nov 19th in the Barn.

I don't think you want the exposure losing to LSU by a big margin brings. If you can compete....by all means schedule it. Not in favor of two non-conference games like that in year 1.
We already got Iowa, Maryland, Indiana, Ohio State...that's enough exposure until we have a much better idea how good we are.

Anna Morris, one time top basketball recruit for Northwestern, transfers to Ohio State volleyball
I remember talking to a D-2 womens basketball coach a few years ago. His teams had gone through some "average" years. He mentioned that the school's volleyball team almost always had a couple of players he would've loved to have on his basketball squad. After that, I started noticing more and more VB players who made me wonder if they struggled with shooting or if there was another reason they chose VB over hoops.

I remember talking to a D-2 womens basketball coach a few years ago. His teams had gone through some "average" years. He mentioned that the school's volleyball team almost always had a couple of players he would've loved to have on his basketball squad. After that, I started noticing more and more VB players who made me wonder if they struggled with shooting or if there was another reason they chose VB over hoops.
If you are tall and basketball isn't or hasn't been your passion, then you are going to play inside. It is physical in there. People banging on you, pushin', shovin'. Not everybody likes that and most volleyballer hitters are tall and slender. Tall and slender needs skills to play and excel on the perimeter. One elbow to the face or ribs is often enough to say no to hoops.

Ohio States's SG Mya Perry transfers to Florida Atlantic. I believe she was an Ohio high school player and not a top-100 nationally ranked player unlikely to play much at talent-packed OSU.

Tiffany Morton added to Badger's coaching staff

MADISON, Wis. – Wisconsin native Tiffany Morton will return home as she finalizes the Wisconsin women's basketball staff by joining as an assistant coach.

Morton, who played collegiately at Wisconsin-Whitewater, helped the Warhawks to the 2008 DIII Final Four, and brings over a decade of coaching experience to Madison.

"I am beyond excited to join Marisa Moseley and her staff here at Wisconsin," remarked Morton. "She is a phenomenal leader and an incredible mentor to young women. She is a proven winner, who is committed to getting the best out of her players. It feels amazing to be home and I can't wait to get to work. On Wisconsin!"

Morton most recently spent the 2021-22 season at Rice, where she recruited and signed the No. 1 recruiting class in Conference USA and worked primarily with post players. Prior to her time in Houston, she spent three seasons at Georgia State, serving as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator. During her first season in Atlanta in 2018-19, the Panthers recorded their most Sun Belt wins (11) since joining the conference and their most overall wins (17) since the 2003-04 campaign.

"As a native of Wisconsin, Tiffany knows what is means to represent the state," stated Moseley. "With a decade of player development and recruiting experience at the Division I level, I am so thrilled to welcome her as an assistant coach. Working primarily with the posts, she is dedicated and committed to her craft. Tiffany is a proven developer of young women on and off the court. Her energy and presence is contagious and she will be a wonderful addition to our program. I am confident she will help us achieve our team goals while guiding our student-athletes to greater heights. Please help me welcome Tiffany and her son Micah to our Badger family!"

Prior to her time at Georgia State, Morton coached at Mercer from 2015-18, guiding the Bears to their first-ever NCAA Tournament appearance in 2018, and aided the team to a 79-19 record over three seasons. Additionally, the Bears won the 2018 Southern Conference championship and were ranked in the AP and Coaches Poll Top 25. Morton was instrumental in the development of Kahlia Lawrence, who was a three-time SoCon Player of the Year and was selected in the 2018 WNBA Draft.

Morton spent the 2014-15 season as an assistant coach at Wager, helping Jasmine Jwajei rank second in the NCAA in scoring average with 24.8 points per game. Prior to her time in Staten Island, she served as a graduate assistant at LSU, where the Tigers made the 2014 NCAA Tournament.

She also had stints as an assistant coach at Montevallo (2012-13) and as a graduate assistant at her alma mater, Wisconsin-Whitewater (2010-12).

Morton graduated from UW-Whitewater in 2009 with a degree in psychology and earned her master's in 2012 in science and education for professional development

Why assistant Britney Anderson made the move from Palo Alto to Champaign

CHAMPAIGN — Britney Anderson didn’t realize how much she had accumulated in her home over the course of the last few years and packing up her life in Palo Alto (Calif.) certainly isn’t the most fun part of the coaching industry. Deciding to move required the right situation at the right time.

And it's a move Calamity McEntire had been speaking into existence for years.

Anderson and McEntire had become friends on the recruiting trail. The two often recruited against each other when Anderson was an assistant at Virginia Tech and McEntire was an assistant at Dayton. The coaching world is small. Competitors? Sure. But the two also became close friends talking about this or that on the trail, a prospect here or a situation there. They spent some free time on the road around each other.

All the while, McEntire told Anderson the two would eventually work together.

Anderson was a bit skeptical. Their jobs were taking them in opposite geographical directions. Anderson took an assistant coaching job at Stanford prior to the 2020 season, while McEntire took an assistant job at Texas during the 2021-22 season. Both have aspirations to be head coaches and appear likely candidates to reach those goals sooner rather than later. The time to work together may have come and gone.

McEntire rejoined Green’s coaching staff at Illinois last season, and when Ryan Gensler took a head coaching job at Akron, the window opened for Anderson to join the coaching staff. The hiring was made official last month, and Green landed a splash hire by prying Anderson away from national power Stanford and Hall of Fame coach Tara VanDerveer.

Turns out McEntire’s proposition was right on the money.

“She was right. She spoke it into existence,” Anderson told Illini Inquirer.

McEntire raved about how Green ran her program. Anderson saw the success at Dayton, losing a few recruits to Green and her coaching staff in the process. Heck, Anderson lost Jenna Giacone, now the director of scouting and player development at Illinois, to the Flyers during the recruiting process.

It’s clear something was going right at Dayton, and McEntire’s words backed that up. That much has also carried over to Illinois in Green's one year in charge.

“Honestly, when you are an assistant, a lot of assistants talk,” Anderson said. “They talk about different things they’ve learned from their boss. They’ve talked about different work environments they’re a part of. They talk about where they lived: college town or being in a city. Calamity has always spoken so highly of Shauna, but I’ve also watched Shauna when I was at Virginia Tech. I always paid attention to Dayton and what they were doing, recruiting against them a lot. …Dayton has always been in the conversation when I was at Virginia Tech. It was just kind of like one of those things where things line up.”

Still, Anderson had a great thing at Stanford. The wins, the championships, the Hall of Fame coach. The situation was good. But Anderson wanted to get closer to her family on the east coast and the impending cloud of conference realignment — she already saw USC and UCLA bolt for the Big Ten — planted a few long-term questions in her mind.

Not that any of that necessarily made the reality of leaving easy. These kinds of decisions are never easy.

“It was tough,” Anderson said. “It was one of those situations where I was like, ‘I’m at a good school when it comes to academics, we have a good team, we’re in conversations for a national championship.’ I think what kind of made it a little easier for me was looking at it as being a little bit closer to home but also with a conference realignment and how some of that stuff is going to go there’s a lot of question marks. Thinking about that part of it too with UCLA and USC leaving the conference and going to the Big Ten as well, there’s some question marks there that you have and you think about that aren’t really being talked about. I think that made it a little easier as well because the conference realignment stuff can either go really slow or it can happen quick. I don’t think a lot of people saw the LA schools leaving, but when you look at it on paper, it just makes sense.”

Plus, Anderson saw the quick turnaround at Illinois during Green's first season. The Illini made the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 2003, return the core of its roster next season and have added two posts — Camille Hobby from NC State and Shay Bollin from Duke — via the transfer portal in the last three weeks.

This version of Illinois, the one that’s trending in an upward direction, is distinctly opposite from the version that Anderson saw while at Virginia Tech during an uncompetitive 96-49 win over Illinois in 2017.

Illinois was ranked a season ago, knocked off eventual national runner-up Iowa, took Big Ten champion Indiana down to the wire in two games and flipped some games against opponents that usually left the State Farm Center with a comfortable win in past seasons. For the first time in several years, there's momentum in the offseason for a program that never seemed to be able to grasp it.

“How quickly the losses became wins and who they were beating and the games they were in,” Anderson said. “They picked up momentum quickly. …What Shauna really sold me on and created a clear vision of what she wanted for the program and the support that she got. She was very passionate about the support she was getting from the Illinois administration and the community."

On top of all of that, McEntire returned to Green’s coaching staff prior to last season. She left a job at Texas to join Green in Champaign. That move spoke volumes to Anderson. McEntire willingly chose to pack up her stuff after just one year in Austin. And for someone in the process of moving, knowing the burden it can be, that was a telling sign beyond anything simply basketball related.

“That told me a lot but also for her to go back to who she came from after a year I think said a lot to me as well,” Anderson said. “I think a lot of times when you’re a coach and you make coaching moves, a lot of people are left scratching their head and they’re like, ‘Why would you do that?’ I think for me it made it clear how she felt about Shauna when she decided to leave Texas to go back after being successful there and how much she believed in Shauna and what she was going to do at Illinois. That stood out to me just from the standpoint of, OK, you left her and now you’re going back and it’s quick and you’re moving all of your stuff.”

Anderson joins a program in Champaign that’s looking to build on the success of last season. She’ll work primarily with the guards — Illinois returns All-Big Ten guards Makira Cook, Genesis Bryant and Adalia McKenzie, as well as Jada Peebles while adding incoming freshmen Cori Allen and Gretchen Dolan — where she had success at Stanford. She brings national championship experience and history in the ACC and Pac-12 to the Illini coaching staff.

"I am so excited to have Britney join our Illini family," Green said in a statement. "She brings elite experience to us as a recruiter, coach and relationship builder. She has coached some of the best players in the country and has won a national championship – that experience is invaluable. As we continue to build Illinois into a consistent top program in the country, there is no doubt that Britney will help us get there."

Anderson visited campus during the interview process, the only candidate to visit campus, and said she felt at home with the team. She saw Green as someone who can — with the benefit of more time and a growing relationship — be a confidant. And, of course, Anderson wants to eventually lead her own program when the time is right.

“I eventually want to be a head coach in the right situation,” Anderson said. “I’ve learned from great head coaches working for Mike McGuire, Dennis Wolf, Kenny Brooks and then working for Tara, the all-time winningest coach. I think this step for me is an opportunity to be in another conference that I haven’t been in before, recruiting a different area, learn from a leader who is a relationship-based coach when it comes to knowing her staff and knowing the players. I think a lot of people see that. I think you notice some of that stuff when it comes to social media but then also to sit in kind of their genuineness. I want to be a head coach. I don’t know when that’s going to happen. I’m not I have to do it by a certain time, but to be able to work with somebody that so many people speak so highly of.

“There’s not a lot of people who have had the opportunity to work in the conferences that I’ve worked in so I’m blessed in that regard to be able to do that. It just kind of was one of those things where it brings different challenges. Maybe you see basketball from a different point of view. You see a different style of play, you’re scouting against a different style of play on a regular basis. For me it’s just being able to grow career-wise but also for me it’s still about helping the young women who I get the opportunity to coach, helping them grow and figure it out kind of like how I was at one point in my life.”

Years ago, McEntire told Anderson the two would work together. Despite time spent at more recently-successful programs, they both willingly landed in Champaign to help an Illini rebuild that’s gone faster than most anyone could have reasonably expected.

The logistics of the move all still exist: packing, finding a house, unpacking and getting on the court with her new team. That much is standard operating procedure, even if the former is particularly stressful. But Anderson is optimistic about the outlook at Illinois and working with Green, who she's heard so much about over the years.

“When I sat down and had a conversation with Shauna it was just natural and authentic,” Anderson said. “It was her saying, ‘OK, this is what we have. This is how I do things. This is what we are looking to do moving forward,’ but also her just being herself.

“I think sometimes as coaches you feel like you have to be a certain way, you have to do things a certain way, but her being a head coach she’s very comfortable in, ‘This is who I am and this is how I do things.’ She’s herself. I think that’s what stood out to me is just the authentic conversation that we had. She’s somebody I know that I could eventually work together, be around, and confide in her. I see why people can confide in her. It was just the genuineness of the conversations.”

Jayla Oden goes from Champaign to Happy Valley

UNIVERSITY PARK – Penn State women's basketball has signed Illinois transfer Jayla Oden, Lady Lions head coach Carolyn Kieger announced Tuesday. Oden spent the last two seasons with the Fighting Illini and has two years of eligibility left.

At Illinois (2021-23): Played in 50 games and started 18 for the Fighting Illini…Averaged 5.2 points per game and made 19 three-pointers in her two seasons…Accumulated 11 double-digit scoring performances over the two seasons…Started 13 games during her sophomore season...Averaged 4.5 points in 16.2 minutes per game…Tallied 6.0 points, and 2.3 rebounds during her freshman year...Finished with 55 assists and a 1.2 assists-to-turnover ratio, both team-highs…Served with the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee and Fellowship of Christian Athletes

Biggest concern keeping the Buckeyes from the next level ( or how can OSU catch Indiana and Iowa):

Big Ten women’s basketball, historically known as a type of basketball that’s methodical and wears opponents down has changed dramatically. Now it’s a conference of high scoring with three sides, the Buckeyes, Iowa Hawkeyes, and Indiana Hoosiers, all in the top 10 in the NCAA in scoring offense.

Each team arrived at that buzzsaw-like offense in different ways. For the Iowa Hawkeyes, there’s an underrated guard named Caitlin Clark who you may or may not have heard of. Clark was second this season in scoring and led all college basketball (men and women) with five triple-doubles.

Part of that dominance is Clark’s country-leading 8.6 assists per game. Who are those assists going to the most? Forward Monika Czinano famously scored 20 points against the Georgia Bulldogs in the NCAA tournament without dribbling the ball once.

Below the Hawkeyes in scoring was the Indiana Hoosiers. While Czinano’s scoring figures benefit heavily from the play of Clark and the Hawkeyes, forward Mackenzie Holmes is the backbone of Indiana’s offense.

If it wasn’t for Clark, Holmes would be the player crowned Big Ten Player of the Year season after season.

Ohio State is still in that top 10, at one point leading the country in points per game. The Buckeyes do it their own way though, scoring off forced turnovers and relying on a group of skilled players like now WNBA guard Taylor Mikesell and 22-23 B1G Freshman of the Year, forward Cotie McMahon.

This season, the Buckeyes struggled defensively against both Czinano and Holmes. In two games against the Hawkeyes, Czinano put up 22 and 26 points in a regular season game and Big Ten Tournament final respectively. With Holmes, the Hoosier scored 33 and 26 against Ohio State in two regular season games.

To put it simply, there was no answer for their movement and scoring in the paint. In one game, the Buckeyes had more success against Holmes, holding the forward to 12 points in the conference tournament semifinal.

In the historic 24-point comeback, McMahon clogged passing lanes and made Holmes ineffective, but later it came out that Holmes was injured in the game, not returning to action until the second round of the NCAA Tournament, in an upset defeat to the Miami Hurricanes.

Now, the Buckeyes don’t need to have someone like Holmes or Czinano to compete. It’s clear that those players are at a different level and the Scarlet & Gray doesn’t have to change how they play, which earned them a spot in the Elite Eight. Ohio State needs someone who can slow dominant bigs down.

During the 22-23 season, that job went to forwards Rebeka Mikulasikova and Eboni Walker. Each had moments of success like Mikulasikova getting Tennessee Volunteers’ center Tamari Key in foul trouble early and effectively taking her out of the first game of the season.

In the NCAA Tournament, Walker put up a strong performance against the North Carolina Tar Heels to earn the Buckeyes a trip to Seattle.

Also, guard Taylor Thierry, who slides into the five position frequently throughout the season, was a rebounding presence and consistent scorer on second-chance buckets and passes into the paint.

However, the size, leaping ability, and speed of players like Holmes and Illinois’ Kendall Bostic need consistent defensive attention. Through recruiting, Ohio State’s landed one forward/center: Graduating high school senior Faith Carson.

Carson, a 6-foot-4 center, averaged 20.5 points, 12.5 rebounds, and 5.8 blocks per game in her senior season with Division III Buchanan High School, winning D3 Player of the Year honors.

With Carson finishing her senior season, and not enrolling early at Ohio State, it’s hard to tell how the center adjusts to the college game. Also, outside of someone like McMahon who came in with Team USA experience, head coach Kevin McGuff hasn’t leveraged as many underclassmen in their freshman seasons.

It feels more likely that Carson takes a route like Thierry. The Cleveland, Ohio guard/forward joined the Buckeyes last season, played limited minutes, but worked in the gym and made the most of limited time on the court to earn a starting spot she never relinquished in the 22-23 season.

Transfer portal-wise, Ohio State hasn’t added any forwards to fill the hole. All the top-ranked centers/forwards, outside of Aneesah Morrow who’s already shared her top three schools that don’t include the Buckeyes, are out of the portal. It’s feeling more likely that a starting-caliber forward, ready to compete in a Power Five conference, isn’t happening in Columbus.

The answer might be in the roster already.

The three likeliest names to step into that more dominant defensive role in the paint are Walker and Thierry. Last season, Walker came into the Buckeyes’ program after almost two years of not playing or practicing consistently and towards the end of the season stepped in to start and had moments of energy and intensity in the paint.

For Thierry, the forward made a leap that’s as impressive as her own leaping ability last season. Should that growth continue into Thierry’s junior season, the 6-foot forward could slide into that role when needed to make an impact.

However, the portal hasn’t been completely silent. As of publishing, Ohio State hasn’t lost any starters to transfer and added National Defensive Player of the Year finalist in guard Celeste Taylor. That boost of defense in a team already heralded for scary full-court pressure will make it harder for those dominant post presences to get the ball in the first place.

In addition, McMahon's success against Holmes was practiced for the first time on the day of the game against Indiana. If Coach McGuff explores that set more, could athleticism be the key to matching a player like-for-like?

It’ll be six months before anyone knows for sure.

Michigan State adds MAC standout guard Lauren Ross.

"Prior to suffering a season-ending knee injury in January, Ross led the MAC in points per game, total points and made field goals. Ross averaged 21.8 points and shot 46.5% from the field, 34.3% from behind the 3-point arc and 83.9% from the free-throw line.

Ross, a Muskegon native, is a two-time All-MAC performer and earned honorable mention accolades this winter as a redshirt sophomore.

Fralick is familiar with Ross from her rime in the MAC as a coach. Ross missed both meetings against the Falcons last season due to her injury but averaged 17.0 points in two meetings against Bowling Green in the 2021-22 season."

It's a bit of a jump to the Big Ten but looks like a nice pickup for Michigan State and MS's new coach.

MS also lost a couple good players via the transfer portal in forward/guard/wing Matilda Ekh who transferred to Virginia Tech and center Taiyier Parks who is unsigned but I'm guessing could go to North Carolina State that has seen an exodus of players.

For the Iowa Hawkeyes, there’s an underrated guard named Caitlin Clark who you may or may not have heard of. Clark was second this season in scoring and led all college basketball (men and women) with five triple-doubles.

Scoring Leaders, for those interested. Maddy Seigrist of Villanova was #1. Angel Reese at #5 who is a rebounding machine.

6' 3" forward Machenzie Holmes is another underrated player.

1683076825607.png

Taiyier Parks, from East Lansing to Columbus

Ohio State women's basketball has added another transfer to its roster this offseason.

After former Duke guard Celeste Taylor, an All-ACC honoree and ACC Defensive Player of the Year, committed to Ohio State on April 20, the Buckeyes returned to the transfer portal for additional roster depth by landing former Michigan State forward Taiyier Parks, who announced her commitment on Thursday.

Parks hails from North Royalton, Ohio, a suburb located 24 minutes southwest of Cleveland. The 6-foot-3 forward entered the transfer portal in March after four seasons at Michigan State in which she averaged 7.1 points on 50.8% shooting and 5.5 rebounds for the Spartans. Last season, Parks collected 8.3 points and 5.2 boards per contest and recorded a career-best 57.5% field-goal percentage.

Before her time at Michigan State, Parks was a standout player for North Royalton High School and became a four-star recruit in the class of 2019. As a junior, she averaged 19 points, 16 rebounds, three blocks, and three steals per contest. Parks missed her senior season due to a torn ACL.

Q & A with Shauna Green

When you look at the roster and you have Brynn Shoup-Hill who was a regular starter at the 4 and Kendall Bostic at the 5 and you also added a 6-3 center in Camille Hobby through the portal, do you see Kendall as potentially someone who can play as a stretch four for you next season?

"I have thought about that a lot. I really do think that we can play with Kendall at the four. We can really mix and match some things, because obviously, Kendall is going to play a ton of minutes for us next season and we need Kendall on the floor. It could give a different look and that's where one of my big things is we continue to expand her range and to really this summer work and rep the three-point shot and being consistent.

"She has a beautiful shot from 15-17 feet and just finding ways to get her in that position to take those shots and just to make her feel comfortable from there. But no doubt we want versatility to be able to bump people and have them go from the 5 to the 4, the 4 to the 5 and everything in between."

Rutgers signs North Carolina transfer, 6-3 junior guard Destiny Adams

"We are thrilled to bring Destiny Adams back home to New Jersey," Washington said. "Destiny brings so many gifts to the table: she can score at all three levels, she is a tough defender, rebounds like crazy and excels on the defensive end of the floor. She is going to bring speed, toughness and mismatches to our lineup. Our fans will absolutely love watching her play and it will be fun watching her go to work in front of her family and friends."

Raoul

WBB programs from Power 5 conferences who so far have not added any D-I transfers during the 2022-23 cycle:

Big Ten: Indiana, Iowa, Northwestern, Wisconsin

Ohio State's Cotie McMahon, the Big Ten Freshman of the Year, among 24 players participating in USA Women's U19 trials.

UCLA has two freshmen participating, Londynn Jones (gold medals) and Kiki Rice (gold medals and MVP). UCLA will join the Big Ten in 2024.

Why Marisa Moseley brought her mentor to Madison

Player-coach relationships often last well beyond the years spent working alongside one another.
That can be said for University of Wisconsin women’s basketball coach Marisa Moseley and newly hired assistant Margaret McKeon. McKeon recruited and coached Moseley during her entire career at Boston University, and the pair have remained close ever since.

“I’ve known her since I was 17 years old and she’s been a mentor to me this whole time in my career,” Moseley said.

[...]

The long-discussed possibility began to turn into reality when Moseley had an assistant coaching position to fill after Caroline Doty was fired. McKeon was the right person she had in mind.

“It just felt like the perfect time to bring her in,” Moseley said. “It’s one thing to say, ‘Hey, if the opportunity presents itself,’ but to actually have it be something that could come to fruition. We’re both excited about the prospect of it and then it becoming a reality has been an awesome full-circle moment.”

Why Marisa Moseley brought her mentor to Madison
While, I think there is a much better story there than the one written...I also think together the pairing should improve Wisconsin. Gotta find more talent...did I read somewhere they have not added anyone from the portal but lost people besides Maty Wilke?

Last edited:

Taylor Mikesell of Ohio State was cut. She was the #13 overall pick in the 2023 WNBA draft. I'm kind of shocked since she was drafted somewhat high and a good 3-point shooter. I guess there's more to top basketball than that element of perimeter shooting.

Well there are only 12 roster spots and only 12 teams.

Lynx look like they struck gold with Diamond Miller (Maryland) at the #2 spot. No tanking this season for the Paige Bueckers sweepstakes.

Hoosiers add a portal transfer, Sharnecce Currie-Jelks, OVC freshman of the year.

The IU women’s basketball program has made a late portal addition to their 2023-24 roster.

UT-Martin transfer forward Sharnecce Currie-Jelks announced on her Instagram page she has committed to Indiana.

Currie-Jelks averaged 15.2 points, 6.9 rebounds, 0.8 assists, 1.4 steals and 1.0 blocks in 29.4 minutes per game for the Skyhawks as a freshman in 2022-23. She shot 53.9 percent from the field, 23.8 percent from beyond the arc and 73.8 percent from the free throw line.

The 6-foot-2 Currie-Jelks was named the Ohio Valley Conference Freshman of the Year and tabbed to the All-OVC first team. She earned a pair of OVC Player of the Week selections and set a school record with nine OVC Freshman of the Week honors.

Hailing from Jackson, Tenn., Currie-Jelks was third in points and field goal percentage in the OVC while coming in fifth in rebounding. She tallied 21 games in double figures while eclipsing 20 points or more in six contests – including a season-high 30 points against Southeast Missouri.

Currie-Jelks has three years of eligibility remaining. She suffered two ACL tears during high school and thus came into college a bit off the radar. You can watch her discuss that below.

Diamond Miller (Maryland) for the Lynx had 8 points, 1 rebounds, and 3 assists in her 2nd WNBA game coming out of the Big Ten.

But the Lynx lost. That's two in a row.

The next WNBA draft will include G Caitlin Clark (Iowa), G Paige Bueckers (UConn), F Angel Reese (LSU), F/C Cameron Brink (Stanford), G Haley Van Lith (LSU), F Aaliyah Edwards (UConn), and G Deja Kelly (UNC).

1684896129855.png

Returning to B1G news. Ohio State lands a Kentucky transfer (sister of highly recruited 2024 Jaloni Cambridge)

The Ohio State women’s basketball team received their third transfer from the transfer portal. Joining head coach Kevin McGuff is former Kentucky Wildcats guard Kennedy Cambridge. The 5-foot-9 guard announced her commitment on Instagram, on Wednesday night.

Cambridge enters the Scarlet and Gray’s program with three years of eligibility following one season with the Kentucky Wildcats of the SEC. In 19 appearances, Cambridge averaged 14.4 minutes per game with 2.7 points and 2.3 rebounds.

As a freshman, Cambridge didn’t break into the Wildcats' starting roster until Feb. 16, against the Georgia Bulldogs. Cambridge tied a season-high with eight rebounds in the defeat to the Bulldogs, but didn’t see the court again in any of the Wildcats’ remaining six games.

Bringing the guard into the program provides depth at the guard position, something Ohio State struggled with last season; both Jacy Sheldon and Madison Greene sustained long-term injuries that took each out for most of the season.

That meant coach McGuff’s side went down to two regular guards in Rikki Harris and Taylor Mikesell in the Buckeyes’ backcourt. Now, Cambridge brings Power Five experience to Ohio State.

In Kentucky, the Wildcats struggled to stay competitive following the graduation of now-WNBA star Rhyne Howard. Kentucky went from a 19-12 record to 12-19 following Howard going No. 1 in the 2022 WNBA Draft to the Atlanta Dream.

Now, Cambridge joins a team that’s competing at the top of the Big Ten, coming off a late run in the 2023 NCAA Tournament. Although Mikesell graduated, Ohio State returns most of the high-performing roster it had on the court last season, including forwards Cotie McMahon and Taylor Thierry who each earned Second Team All-B1G selections.

Joining Cambridge as a transfer into the Big Ten Elite Eight side is fellow guard Celeste Taylor and forward Taiyier Parks. Taylor is a guaranteed start for the Buckeyes following years with the Duke Blue Devils where the senior was a finalist for Defensive Player of the Year, winning the ACC Defensive Player of the Year award in the process.

The Ohio State backcourt now features Sheldon, Taylor, Harris, Cambridge, fellow sophomore Kaia Henderson, and exciting freshman recruit Diana Collins.

An interesting piece of the transfer news is a family connection to Cambridge: Her sister Jaloni Cambridge. The fellow guard is the No. 1 overall ranked player in the 2024 high school recruiting class.

Together, the Cambridge sisters led Ensworth to a state championship in 2022, the school’s seventh in program history. Should the younger Cambridge sister be swayed to join the Buckeyes, it’ll be the highest-ranked recruit joining Ohio State since Kelsey Mitchell joined the Buckeyes from Cincinnati, Ohio’s Princeton High School in 2014

Speaking of sisters, the Reynolds sisters signed with the Boilers.

WEST LAFAYETTE, Ind. – Purdue women's basketball head coach Katie Gearlds brought a pair of in-state talents to West Lafayette, as sisters Mila Reynolds and Amiyah Reynolds announced their decision to join the Boilermakers this offseason. The duo originally from Washington High School in South Bend were both tabbed four-star and top-60 recruits by ESPN HoopGurlz.

"It's important for us to try and find a way to win back the state of Indiana and keep the best talent home," Gearlds said. "It's great to have Mila and Amiyah be a part of that group. Both are incredibly talented and know what it takes to win, having put together a tremendous run together in high school. I'm excited to see what they'll do for us when they get to team up again."

Mila joins Purdue following a freshman campaign at Maryland that ended in the Elite Eight, while Amiyah will be a freshman in 2023-24.

The talented tandem will head to West Lafayette to join fellow high school teammate Rashunda Jones, who signed for the Boilermakers back in November. In three years together, the trio guided the Panthers to a 68-17 record and a 27-5 mark in the Northern Indiana Conference with two conference titles, two sectional championships, two regional titles and the 2022 Indiana 3A State Championship.

Jones and Amiyah Reynolds posted an undefeated regular season record in 2022-23, a run to semi-state and finished the year ranked No. 10 in the nation in the final ESPN poll.

The addition of the Reynolds sisters adds to an already stacked incoming group of Mary Ashley Groot, Emily Monson, McKenna Layden, Sophie Swanson and Jones that was already ranked No. 21 in the nation by ESPNW earlier this year.

The Reynolds sisters along with Madison and McKenna Layden will be the first and second sisters to play on the same team in Purdue history.

AMIYAH REYNOLDS
6-0 | G | Fr. | South Bend, Ind. | South Bend Washington
NOTABLE

• No. 43 player in the nation, four-star recruit, 94 rating by ESPN HoopGurlz, second highest signee in the Big Ten for the 2023 class
• No. 22 player in the nation, No. 7 guard, 4.5-star recruit by Prospects Nation
• No. 35 player in the nation, No. 2 player in the state by Prep Girls Hoops
• No. 35 player in the nation by Blue Star
• Finished third as a finalist for the 2023 Indiana Miss Basketball
• McDonald's All-America Game nominee
• Joined 2010 South Bend Washington graduate Skylar Diggins-Smith as the only Panthers to total over 1,000 points and 500 assists in a career
• Named an Indiana All-Star as a junior and senior
• Tabbed to the Indiana All-State Supreme 15 as a junior and senior
• Four-time All-Northern Indiana Conference selection
• Four-time South Bend Tribune All-Area selection, winning co-MVP honors in 2023 with Rashunda Jones

PREP
• Lettered four seasons at Washington High School
• Her father Steve was the head coach for the Panthers
• Played alongside her sister Mila for three years and teammate Rashunda Jones for four campaigns
• Went 95-18 over four years with the Panthers, with a 68-17 record when playing with her sister Mila
• Won 2022 IHSAA 3A State Championship, helping set the championship game record for 3A as the Panthers scored 93 points
• Recorded eight points, four rebounds, three assists and two blocks in state championship win
• Finished as the IHSAA 3A State Runner-Up in 2021
• Reached Semi-State in 2023 after getting bumped up to 4A
• Won three Northern Indiana Athletic Conference championships, as well as three sectional and three regional titles
• Ended career ranked second in assists at Washington with 564
• Ranks eighth in all-time points with 1,122
• Finished career with 11.6 points, 7.7 rebounds, 5.8 assists, 3.1 steals and 1.4 blocks per game
• Tallied 15.2 points, 8.1 rebounds and 6.3 assists and 3.3 steals per game, while shooting 51% from the field as a senior
• Recorded an assist-to-turnover ratio above 2.5 her final three years of high school
• Played AAU for Michigan Crossover and Legends U.
• Also played softball and volleyball for South Bend Washington

PERSONAL
• Full Name: Amiyah Raquel Reynolds
• Birthdate: June 25, 2004
• Intended Major: Undecided
• Parents: Steve and Marcy Reynolds
• Steve played basketball at Western Michigan, where was an All-MAC Second Team selection in 2002 behind 16.9 points and 4.0 rebounds per game, still ranks fifth in program history with 31.7 minutes per game and third in single-game 3-pointers with eight
• Steve and Marcy both played basketball overseas
• Sister Mila transferred to Purdue in spring of 2023
• Siblings: Mila, Kira, Steven, Jordan, Aubrey and Tristan

MILA REYNOLDS
6-3 | F | So. | South Bend, Ind. | South Bend Washington | Maryland
2023-24 / AS A SOPHOMORE

• Transferred to Purdue in May of 2023

2022-23 / AS A FRESHMAN (AT MARYLAND)
• Saw action in 22 games
• Made collegiate debut against George Mason with three points, one rebound and one assist
• Connected on a pair of field goals for a season-high five points against Pitt (Nov. 27) and Penn State (Jan. 30)
• Grabbed a season-best three rebounds twice against DePaul (Nov. 25) and Pitt (Nov. 27)
• Reached the NCAA Tournament as a No. 2 seed, reaching the Elite Eight

NOTABLE
• No. 60 player, No. 16 forward, four-star, 94 rating by ESPN HoopGurlz
• Elite 150 athlete, 4.5-star recruit by Prospects Nation
• No. 32 player in the nation, No. 4 in the state by Prep Girls Hoops
• McDonald's All-America Game nominee
• Finished third in voting for the 2022 Indiana Miss Basketball
• Tabbed IBCA Academic All-State as a senior
• Named an Indiana All-Star as a junior and senior
• Placed on the IBCA Supreme 15 as a junior and senior
• Four-time All-Northern Indiana Conference selection, including 2021 MVP honors
• Four-time South Bend Tribune All-Area selection, winning MVP honors

PREP
• Lettered four years for Washington High School
• Her father Steve was the head coach
• Played alongside Amiyah Reynolds and Rashunda Jones for three seasons
• Went 78-30 over four years with the Panthers, with a 68-17 mark when playing with her sister Amiyah
• Totaled 2,099 career points, second in Panther history behind 2010 graduate Skylar Diggins-Smith
• Added 990 rebounds and recorded 53 double-doubles
• Her 48 points against Elkhart as a junior stands as the program single-game record
• Finished career with 19.8 point, 9.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists, 1.5 steals and 1.9 blocks per game
• Shot 51% from the field for her career, added 150 3-pointers over four years
• Won 2022 IHSAA 3A State Championship, helping set the championship game record for 3A as the Panthers scored 93 points
• Tallied 21 points, seven rebounds, three 3-pointers, four assists, two blocks and a plus-minus of 52 in state championship win as a senior
• Posted a career-best 21.5 points, 8.1 rebounds, 1.9 steals per game as a senior
• Played for Michigan Crossover and Sports City U.
• Also played softball for South Bend Washington

PERSONAL
• Full Name: Mila Marie Reynolds
• Birthdate: July 1, 2003
• Intended Major: African American Studies
• Parents: Steve and Marcy Reynolds
• Steve played basketball at Western Michigan, where was an All-MAC Second Team selection in 2002 behind 16.9 points and 4.0 rebounds per game, still ranks fifth in program history with 31.7 minutes per game and third in single-game 3-pointers with eight
• Steve and Marcy both played basketball overseas
• Sister Amiyah signed for Purdue in spring of 2023
• Siblings: Amiyah, Kira, Steven, Jordan, Aubrey and Tristan

Some pre-summer session Lady Lions lineup speculation.

The offseason following the conclusion of the 2022-23 season has been wild for Penn State.

Despite convincing four players to transfer to Happy Valley, coach Carolyn Kieger saw six others leave via the portal and another two run out of eligibility.

Though the blue and white is likely to deploy the same three-guard starting lineup from last season, its strategy at forward appears to be up in the air.

Here’s a full rundown of Penn State’s squad ahead of the 2023-24 campaign, including its potential starting five.

Starting guard: Shay Ciezki​

Starting point guard is the first of three no-brainer picks for the Lady Lions’ upcoming season.

After coming off of the bench in the team’s first game, rising sophomore guard Shay Ciezki started at point guard in every other game for the blue and white — aside from its season-ending defeat to Michigan in the Big Ten Tournament, which she missed due to injury.

Tasked with being the unit’s floor general by Kieger, Ciezki proved to be a massive part of Penn State’s success on the offensive side of the ball, averaging 11.8 points, 2.3 rebounds and 2.5 assists as a rookie.

Though she showed potential in many different facets of the game, the strongest part of the first-year’s game was her 3-point shooting. Not only was Ciezki one of the top freshmen in 3-point percentage, finishing second in the nation, but she was also one of the top overall longball shooters, ranking 22nd in Division I.

The former top-100 recruit showed why she was such a highly touted prospect out of high school and should continue to do so in Year 2.

Starting guard: Makenna Marisa​

Though there was never a formal announcement, Penn State’s leading scorer is set to suit up for a fifth year in blue and white.

Makenna Marisa’s collegiate career has been defined by putting the ball in the basket, and it’s unlikely that’ll change during the 2023-24 campaign.

While she took a step back offensively, averaging nearly five points less than her third year, Marisa was once again named a first-team All-Big Ten selection after putting up 17.5 points per game as a senior.

The star guard enjoyed several career-mark celebrations this past year, including becoming the only Lady Lion to rack up 1,750 points, 500 rebounds, 400 assists and 175 3-pointers in a career.

If there’s one player on this team that will start from Game 1, it’s Marisa.

Top Bottom