Other B1G Team Notes 2022-23

Iowa has picked up a point guard to backup Clark. Fills a need since they really didn't have another true PG.

Iowa has picked up a point guard to backup Clark. Fills a need since they really didn't have another true PG.

Molly Davis will start. This also is in another thread.

Ashley Scoggins who was suspended along with assistant coach Chuck Love is moving on.

not sure if the above link works, interesting article about the Maryland Transfers and their past season. Sounds kinda similar. Sounds like Coach Frese as experienced as she is had a difficult time getting the team to jell this year even as talented as they were.

Good article on Maryland's malady: the quick summation
“It didn’t help having the lack of people here, people not here and then people mentally not here,” Frese said.

Greta Kampschroeder, one of the top-rated recruits in the class of 2021, will transfer to Michigan after her freshman season at Oregon State. She becomes the first McDonald’s All-American ever to commit to the Wolverines.

“I chose Michigan to help build on the winning tradition that has grown under Coach Arico,” Kampschroeder said through a press release. “I’ve always admired the way her team competes while having fun. I also look forward to developing my own game with such a great coaching staff. I feel fortunate to have the chance to pursue my education at a world-class institution.”
[...]

No one player can replace Hillmon, who is almost certainly the most talented player in program history. But Kampschroeder — plus an incoming class of four-star guard Kate Clarke, four-star forward Alyssa Crockett and Australian international Chyra Evans — has the program in a position to continue contending for banners.

One of Minnesota's portal targets, Caitlynn Harper, explains why she chose Purdue over Alabama and Minneosta.

With limited options four years ago, Harper took a chance on herself and traveled halfway around the country to continue playing the game she loved. Her summer coach had a connection at Cal Baptist, creating an opportunity and a challenge.

“I came out to visit kind of unsure if this would be the place for me and when I got here, I met the team saw the campus and I wanted to take that risk of going far away from home and wanted to experience living in California,” said Harper, who narrowed her list to Alabama and Minnesota before picking the Boilermakers.

The 6-foot-1 Harper enjoyed her experience on the West Coast, learning new cultures and thriving on the court. She was named the WAC Player of the Year last season, overcame an ACL injury in 2019-20, averaged 13.8 points, 6.0 rebounds, and shot 52.5% from the floor throughout her career.

But it was time to move closer to home.

Lady Lions add three to coaching staff. Assistant coaches Terri Williams and Sharnee Zoll-Norman and Director of Player Development Maggie Lucas. Familiar names all.

UNIVERSITY PARK, Pa. – Penn State women's basketball head coach Carolyn Kieger has announced the hiring of three members to her coaching staff. Terri Williams and Sharnee Zoll-Norman join Penn State as assistant coaches, while Maggie Lucas will serve as Director of Player Development.

Lucas, a 2014 graduate, and Williams, a 1991 graduate, return to their alma mater. Lucas was a two-time Big Ten Player of the Year, while Williams helped Penn State to two Atlantic 10 Conference Championships and three NCAA Tournament appearances.

Terri Williams

Williams brings 29 years of experience coaching at the collegiate level, including 17 seasons as a head coach. She has a career record of 283-242 as a head coach.

She recently served nine years as the head coach at Auburn, leading the Tigers to 140 wins. She led Auburn to three NCAA Tournament appearances along with two WNIT appearances.

"I am thrilled to welcome Terri back to Penn State," said Kieger. "She has a wealth of head coaching experience and a passion for helping young women reach their dreams. Her strong relationships, experience, and Penn State pride make her the perfect fit to help us take our program to another level. Terri has always been someone I have respected in this profession, and I cannot wait to get to work with her and welcome her back to Happy Valley!"

In 2018-19, Williams guided Auburn to a 22-10 record and single-season program records for three-pointers made (193) and fewest turnovers (417).

Williams' Auburn defenses forced more than 20 turnovers per game in her tenure. The Tigers ranked third in the nation in steals per game (13.2) and turnovers forced per game (22.9). In her first season at Auburn, in 2012-13, the Tigers set a school record with 402 steals and forced 701 turnovers.

Prior to Auburn, Williams was the head coach at Georgetown for eight years, leading the Hoyas to 20 or more wins in each of her last four seasons. She posted a 143-104 record at Georgetown, reaching the NCAA Tournament in 2010, 2011 and 2012, including a Sweet 16 appearance in 2011. The Hoyas also reached the WNIT quarterfinals in 2009.

Williams served 12 years as an assistant coach, making stops at Southwest Missouri State (2002-04), Georgia (1996-2002) and Georgetown (1992-96). She was also an assistant coach for Team USA during the summer of 2011, helping the team to a gold medal.

Williams was a four-year letterwinner as a player at Penn State and graduated with a degree in business management.

Sharnee Zoll-Norman

Zoll-Norman spent the last three years as an assistant coach at Rhode Island. She served on the Rams' staff after concluding a 14-year professional career, including three seasons in the WNBA.

"I am ecstatic to welcome Sharnee and her family to Penn State," said Kieger. "Not only has she had a successful playing career in college, the WNBA, and overseas, but she has emerged as one of the best assistants in the country. She has helped Rhode Island transform their program and I know she has goals to do the same thing here at Penn State. Her desire to help players develop on and off the court is infectious and will be a huge asset to our program. With strong recruiting ties in our region, along with her high basketball IQ, Sharnee will no doubt help elevate our program."

During Zoll-Norman's time at Rhode Island, the Rams went 46-31, increasing their win percentage each season. In 2021-22, Rhode Island had a 22-7 record and played in the WNIT.

Over the last three seasons, Rhode Island had eight All-Atlantic 10 selections, including three first team honorees. Zoll-Norman was part of a staff that helped Tammi Reiss to be named 2021 Atlantic 10 Coach of the Year.

Prior to Rhode Island, Zoll-Norman spent two seasons as an assistant with the Philadelphia Belles AAU program, helping the team with scouting reports, practice plans, player development and recruiting.

Zoll-Norman was the 29th overall pick in the 2008 WNBA Draft by the Los Angeles Sparks. She also spent time with the Minnesota Lynx.

She most recently played with InvestInTheWest AZS Gorzow in Poland. She led the team to a Top 16 finish in the EuroCup and second in the Polish League. She was the 2018 EuroCup Guard of the Year and was a five-time Eurobasket All-Polish First Team honoree. In 2017, she led the team to its first Polish League Championship in 30 years and was named both regular season and postseason MVP.

Zoll-Norman graduated from Virginia in 2008. As a Cavalier, Zoll-Norman was a 1,000-point scorer and started every game of her career. She's the only woman in ACC history to record at least 200 assists in three straight seasons. She broke the ACC and Virginia record with 785 assists, both previously held by Dawn Staley. She won a gold medal as a member of the Team USA U19 team in 2005.

Maggie Lucas

Lucas joins the Penn State staff as director of player development after concluding an eight-year professional career, including four seasons in the WNBA. She played three seasons with the Indiana Fever (2014-16) and split the 2018 season with the Atlanta Dream and Dallas Wings.

While playing for Lulea in Sweden in 2021, she led the team to an SBLDAM Championship and was the league's finals MVP. Lucas was named All-Euro Cup first team in 2022 while playing for Dinamo Sassari.

"I am beyond excited to welcome Maggie back home," said head coach Carolyn Kieger. "Her passion for Penn State is unmatched and her desire to make herself and those around her better is unparalleled. Her determination to be the best on and off the court will no doubt transfer over to our players. Her experience here at Penn State, as well as in the WNBA and overseas, will give our program an instant jolt and edge. I have zero doubts Maggie will be an immediate impact for our players and program."

Lucas' name is all over the Penn State record books. She won three major Big Ten awards. Lucas was the Big Ten Player of the Year in 2013 (coaches & media) and 2014 (media) and was also the consensus Big Ten Freshman of the Year in 2011. Lucas was a three-time first-team All-Big Ten selection and a four-time All-Big Ten honoree.

Lucas led Penn State to three-straight Big Ten regular season titles in 2011-12, 2012-13 and 2013-14. The Lady Lions played in the NCAA Tournament all four years with Lucas on campus and made Sweet 16 appearances in 2012 and 2014.

A Wade Trophy and Wooden Award Finalist in 2013 and 2014, Lucas was a second-team AP All-American in 2013 and a third-team AP All-American in 2014. She was a two-time USBWA All-American, a two-time Full-Court All-American and a Full-Court Freshman All-American.

Lucas is the only player in program history with over 2,000 points (2,510), 500 rebounds (541), 250 assists (286) and 200 steals (237).

She ranks second all-time at Penn State with 2,510 career points and holds the second-best career scoring average (19.0 ppg). Her 2,510 points rank eighth All-Time in the Big Ten.

She holds three of the Top 10 scoring seasons in program history with 672 points in 2013-14, 644 points in 2012-13 and 642 points in 2011-12, while holding the freshman scoring record with 552 points in 2010-11.

Known for her incredible shooting abilities, Lucas holds the Penn State record for career three-point fields goals with 365. Her 365 career threes rank third all-time in the Big Ten.

She also ranks third all-time at PSU with a 41.5 three-point field goal percentage. She owns Penn State's season three-point field goals record (112 in 2010-11).

Lucas has the Penn State records for career free throws (547), career free throw percentage (90.7) and season free throws (185, 2013-14).

She shot a Big Ten-record 94.9 percent from the free-throw line in 2013-14, good for the eighth-best season percentage in NCAA Division I history. Her 90.7 career free throw percentage, also a Big Ten record, also ranks eighth all-time in NCAA Division I.

Lucas graduated from Penn State with a degree in recreation, parks & tourism management

Nebraska's Chuck Love finally move's on:

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Following a paid suspension, Nebraska Women’s Basketball Associate Head Coach Chuck Love announced his resignation Friday.

Coach Love was suspended February 19. The Husker program never released the reason for the suspension, just said it was a personnel matter. Starting guard Ashley Scoggin was removed from the team’s roster at the same time of the suspension.

On Friday, Coach Love announced on twitter that he would be leaving the Husker program.

“I have come to the decision to move on and be with family and explore other opportunities.”
Chuck Love, Nebraska Women's Basketball Associate Head Coach

Kevin McGuff signs new four year contract:

On Wednesday, the Ohio State University Board of Trustees extended the contract of multiple Buckeye coaches. Included in that approval is basketball coach Kevin McGuff. The women’s basketball coach will stay in Scarlet and Gray through the 2025-26 season.

McGuff’s four-year contract includes a $675,000 annual salary and overall annual compensation of $1.05 million. The new contract begins July 1, 2022.

In the 2021-22 season, McGuff’s Buckeyes defied expectations surrounding the program and won the Big Ten Regular Season Co-Championship, which was shared with the Iowa Hawkeyes. That title initially pushed McGuff’s prior agreement out through the 2023-24 season, due to incentives built into his contract. This new deal will override his previous agreement with the niversity.

Through nine seasons with Ohio State, McGuff’s teams won three conference championships and one B1G Tournament title. In the NCAA Tournament, McGuff’s Buckeyes made five appearances, twice going to the Sweet Sixteen, including the 2021-22 season where Ohio State fell to the Big 12 Tournament Champion Texas Longhorns 63-66.

Ohio State’s seen success with the women’s basketball team since the Hamilton, Ohio native took the helm in 2013-14, but the team’s also gone through its fair share of hardships. After the 2020 NCAA Tournament was cancelled due to COVID-19, the Buckeyes self-reported recruiting violations for improper contact, causing Ohio State to miss any postseason basketball following the 2020-21 regular season.

While the coaches responsible no longer are part of the team, McGuff’s continued leading the Scarlet and Gray.

It was that environment where the Buckeyes lost two starting forwards to transfers heading into the 2021-22 season. Dorka Juhasz moved to perennial contenders of UCONN and Aaliyah Patty transferred to Texas A&M.

McGuff responded with arguably the most impressive coaching season of his career in Columbus, Ohio. He brought in a transfer of his own in guard Taylor Mikesell, formerly of the Maryland Terrapins and Oregon Ducks. Mikesell, along with junior guard Jacy Sheldon, led Ohio State in scoring throughout the season, and were a hard duo to stop.

Also, McGuff coached the Buckeyes through two losses at the point guard position in Madison Greene, who didn’t play a single minute of the season after sustaining a preseason knee injury, and sophomore Kateri Poole in Jan. Ohio State responded, winning 13 of 15 in the 2022 calendar year to place themselves in the conversation for league champions.

Due to a slip-up from the Michigan Wolverines on the final day of the season, the Buckeyes shared the conference title.

Now, with the coach solidified, the return of Taylor Mikesell and the influx of new freshman talent, Ohio State’s expectations will be much higher for the 2022/23 season. It’s now McGuff’s turn to take the new contract, and strengthen roster to push the Buckeyes to a new level.

How can I miss you when you never go away? Ali Patberg joins the Hoosier staff.

BLOOMINGTON, Ind. — Former Hoosier beloved guard Ali Patberg has joined the Indiana women’s basketball program as a team and recruitment coordinator, the league announced Friday.

“We are excited to have Ali join our staff in this capacity after such a successful collegiate career,” Indiana head coach Teri Moren said. “She has always expressed her desire to pursue a career in college coaching and we are happy she can begin that journey here. Ali is a true competitor who has helped us build this program and is a fantastic person that will impact our players on and off the court. We are looking forward to seeing her transition into a member of our staff.”

Throughout Patberg’s graduate student season in 2021-22, Moren expressed her hope in multiple press conferences that Patberg would join the staff someday.

That day is here, and Patberg has five seasons of Hoosiers credibility including her redshirt season.

Patberg finished her Hoosiers career as a four-time All-Big Ten honoree in her final season and helped lead Indiana to two consecutive Sweet 16’s and three NCAA tournament appearances.

She ranks ninth in all-time scoring with 1,752 points with a career average of 14 points per game, which ranks eighth in the program.

Coquese Washington's Rutgers contract:

SALARY
May 23, 2022 – March 31, 2023: $725,000 (prorated on an annualized basis)
April 1, 2023 – March 31, 2024: $750,000
April 1, 2024 – March 31, 2025: $775,000
April 1, 2025 – March 31, 2026: $800,000
April 1, 2026 – March 31, 2027: $825,000
April 1, 2027 – March 31, 2028: $850,000

BONUSES
Washington can make up to $180 thousand in bonuses, per the MOU.

Here is the structure:
Outright Big Ten Regular Season Champions - $50,000
Share of Big Ten Regular Season Champions - $25,000
Big Ten Tournament Championship - $25,000
NCAA Tournament - $15,000/appearance in a game
NCAA Tournament Final Four Appearance - $30,000
NCAA Tournament Champion - $60,000
National Coach of the Year (solo or shared) - $30,000
Big Ten Coach of the Year - $15,000

BUYOUT
Washington’s buyout begins at $2.5 million and decreases annually.
May 23, 2022 – March 31, 2023: $2,500,000
April 1, 2023 – March 31, 2024: $1,500,000
April 1, 2024 – March 31, 2025: $1,000,000
April 1, 2025 – March 31, 2026: $750,000
April 1, 2026 – March 31, 2027: $500,000

MISC

- Washington’s assistant coach pool begins at $525,000 and will increase 3% annually, or 5% annually if the team makes the NCAA tournament in the prior year.

- Academic bonuses are $10,000 for team multi-year APR of 950 or above and another $10,000 for team GPA of 3.0 or above, both determined by the NCAA based upon data and other information submitted by Rutgers.

I never could figure what happened during Washington's last five PSU seasons. Was she bored with coaching? Did she regret not taking the Michigan job? Was Happy Valley a difficult sell? (Along that line, Carolyn Kieger hasn't impressed thus far).

Anyway, Washington seemed to have dropped off the "who could be (fill in the blank)'s next head coach lists". It's good to see her back even if I don't really wish her much success.

I never could figure what happened during Washington's last five PSU seasons. Was she bored with coaching? Did she regret not taking the Michigan job? Was Happy Valley a difficult sell? (Along that line, Carolyn Kieger hasn't impressed thus far).

Anyway, Washington seemed to have dropped off the "who could be (fill in the blank)'s next head coach lists". It's good to see her back even if I don't really wish her much success.
Yes, it was bizarre just as see seemed to have built something it all came crashing down. I am absolutely baffled.

weird hire for sure but waiting til now to fill the job was a terrible way to go about it. Cant imagine she was anywhere near the top of their board when they started the search. She took over a top 20ish program at PSU and left it in far worse shape.

From the Asbury Park Press: Other coaches drawing interest from Rutgers (hmm...anyone sense a regional bias?):

The search stretched across three weeks. Multiple people familiar with the process said Michigan head coach Kim Barnes Arico, North Carolina head coach Courtney Banghart and Princeton coach Carla Berube were explored — to no avail.

Welcome to Piscataway; now, meet your team:

In addition to having big shoes to fill, there is a mostly vacant roster that needs filling as well. Only three players from last year’s team are set to return with two high schoolers and Hartford transfer Abby Streeter expected to join them. With Memorial Day Weekend approaching, Washington has a difficult task in filling out a competent roster for next season.

Top Bottom