Other B1G Team Notes 2022-23

The Pioneer Press lists her as 5’2” when they recently named her their East Metro Player of the Year. Congrats to a local talented player staying in the Big 10. Will be fun to see her play against our incoming freshman class for years!

The Pioneer Press lists her as 5’2” when they recently named her their East Metro Player of the Year. Congrats to a local talented player staying in the Big 10. Will be fun to see her play against our incoming freshman class for years!
I've enjoyed watching her over the years but thats a strange pickup, shes tiny.

Raoul_000 (@Raoul) Tweeted: Kateri Poole (5-8 SO point guard, Bronx, NY) has entered her name into the portal, out of Ohio State WBB; played in 25 games in 2021-22, starting 13 and averaging 4.8 PPG in 16.1 MPG; was ranked in the top 25 in the 2020 recruiting class

Shauna Green's Illinois base salary:

The State Farm Center recently went through a $170 million renovation, which was completed in 2016. The Ubben Basketball Complex, which houses both the men’s and women’s basketball programs, is currently undergoing a $40 million renovation. And Whitman is investing heavily in Green and her eventual staff. Green will make $800,000 in base salary annually over a six-year contract, up from predecessor Nancy Fahey’s $544,900 base salary and one of the top-half known salaries in the Big Ten.

I'll give her 1.5 years, she will transfer.. Just keeping it real.. Great kid, but cant make an impact on the defensive end and will be way to tiny to get to the basket to finish. Not sure what Wisc is thinking here, but good for the kid!

Haiby returns as a Super Senior

LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) - Sam Haiby announced on Tuesday that she will return for a fifth season with the Nebraska women’s basketball team in 2022-23.

The two-time All-Big Ten guard from Moorhead, Minn., ranks No. 15 on Nebraska’s all-time scoring list with 1,381 points and eighth on NU’s career assist list with 414. She has played in 117 games with 87 starts as a Husker. She is the only player in school history to achieve the combined career milestones of 1,000 points, 500 rebounds (532) and 400 assists.

“I have been a part of our building process here at Nebraska for four years and it has been an amazing experience. I have had the privilege of learning under great coaches and being a leader alongside a great group of players,” Haiby said. “I still feel like I have more to accomplish as a player and a leader. I am coming back to Nebraska next season because we believe we can take our program another step further together. I can’t wait to go to work again with this team. I love being a Husker because There is No Place Like Nebraska.

Haiby is expected to return alongside 2021-22 starters Jaz Shelley (second-team All-Big Ten), Isabelle Bourne (honorable-mention All-Big Ten), Alexis Markowski (second-team All-Big Ten, Big Ten Freshman of the Year) and Allison Weidner for the Huskers in 2022-23.

Michigan's Naz Hillmon files for the WNBA draft

A review of Purdue's roster comings and goings:

Since the end of the season, Purdue has now seen four players put their names in the NCAA Transfer portal ahead of next year. Jeanae Terry, Mide Oriyomi, Brooke Moore, and Ra Shaya Kyle will all be taking their talents to new schools in the coming months. On top of that, seniors Nyagoa Gony, Ajah Stallings, and Rokia Doumbia are not returning either. However, Oriyomi, Gony, Stallings and Doumbia did not have very big roles on the court this season.

[...]
The trio of Brooke Moore, Ra Shaya Kyle, and Jeanae Terry are all huge losses for this team. Terry was the leading rebounder and led the team in assists last season, while Brooke Moore was the team’s third-leading scorer as well. Replacing a talent like Terry will be tough as there are not many players in the country who can match her skill set. Moore was a plug and play scorer for the Boilermakers, who could get hot in an instant and drop 20+ on any given night.

Kyle’s departure is a bit more complicated. After her leg injury early in the season, there was optimism that she would return in late December or early January. Those plans clearly did not work out as the 6’6 sophomore played in just 9 total games. Rickie Woltman and Ava Learn improved as the year progressed and turned into a nice little 1-2 punch in the frontcourt. Kyle has immense talent and will do extremely well in another setting next season.

So, where does Purdue go from here?

The Boilermakers still return several key pieces from the 2021-22 squad that improved their win total by 10 from the year prior. Abbey Ellis, Cassidy Hardin, Madison Layden and Woltman all figure to stay in the starting lineup to keep the cohesion together. Along with Learn, Jayla Smith is also returning for her sophomore season and is a candidate to start next year as a 2-3 wing type player. Their other classmate, Skye Williams, did not play this season while dealing with an apparent injury, but is talented and will play a large role in the rotation too.

Aside from any transfer options, Purdue has three players incoming for next season as freshmen in Addison Potts, Lilly Stoddard, and Ainhoa Holzer in the class of 2022. Potts and Holzer should be prevalent parts of the backcourt early on next year off the bench and both have well-rounded games. Stoddard is another post presence to bring depth behind Woltman and Learn as well.

It makes me wonder where these players from the top teams are going to go and whether they’re going together.

Owosu and Reese? I know that Gopher fans have been disappointed to lose players to the portal (and rightfully so), but this is a gut punch for Maryland fans. I'm no expert on body language, but I thought something was off about Owosu all year. I realize that she missed some games due to injury but she didn't play as well as she'd played last year and she didn't seem happy. Reese was terrific and her trip to the portal surprises me. She was an all-conference performer and I recall that her brother plays on the men's team.

Freese has certainly lost her share of quality players to transfer in recent years: Taylor Mikesell, Shakira Austin, Destiny Slocum, just to name a few, along with Owosu and Reese. Something's wrong there. Her program also has a propensity to underperform in the NCAA tourney.

Those things being said, Freese is still a helluva recruiter.

Owosu and Reese? I know that Gopher fans have been disappointed to lose players to the portal (and rightfully so), but this is a gut punch for Maryland fans. I'm no expert on body language, but I thought something was off about Owosu all year. I realize that she missed some games due to injury but she didn't play as well as she'd played last year and she didn't seem happy. Reese was terrific and her trip to the portal surprises me. She was an all-conference performer and I recall that her brother plays on the men's team.

Freese has certainly lost her share of quality players to transfer in recent years: Taylor Mikesell, Shakira Austin, Destiny Slocum, just to name a few, along with Owosu and Reese. Something's wrong there. Her program also has a propensity to underperform in the NCAA tourney.

Those things being said, Freese is still a helluva recruiter.

Thanks for listing the transfers out, was trying to think of them all. Somethings not working right in Maryland. Gotta think Reese is going to now be the the #1 "recruit" in the portal. East coast gal and elite level so maybe going to one of the Carolina (not SC) teams? She'll fit in well with a team that plays defense which isn't Maryland's style.

Final coaches poll had them at #9 (which I thought was a bit generous, should have been more like #15) so expectations for next year would have been high. Maybe not so much now.

Fire Brenda Frese!!!;)

Those are fighting words in Minnesota and Iowa, LOL.

She has a weird reverence to Cyclone and Gopher fans that I don't totally get. ISU fans seem to weirdly just love her cause she's from Iowa and was an assistant at ISU decades ago. Usually the same fans that think every 5'-2" small HS gal with a blond ponytail that does good in the HS tournament deserves a scholarship offer. ;)

Gophers seem to still like her even after she bailed after only one year. I don't like or dislike her, do enjoy the game style at times, like the shootout million points for each team 2020-21 season Maryland/Iowa game.

Last edited:

I continue to be amazed at all the transfers out of Maryland. I can understand why players would be anxious to leave a losing program (including our Gophers) or to leave for lack of playing time, but Maryland has a very successful program and the players that are leaving there are mostly starters. I am not a fan of Freese, although I fully acknowledge that might mostly be because she left the Gophers. I too enjoy the "run and gun" style of offense that her teams play. But with all these transfers, there's some kind of disconnect going on there between the players or between the players and the coach. I could certainly be wrong with this, but I am wondering if Freese's message runs thin. I'm wondering if her 'let's run 'em out of the gym' speeches eventually become cliche and fall upon deaf ears. Say what you want about Geno, but I do get the feeling that he sincerely cares about his players. I always got the same feeling about the late Pat Summitt. She was able to get in the face of her players, but they seemed to listen to what she was saying because they knew she cared about them. I've never really felt that Brenda Freese is of the same vein.

The sneaky thing in this article is Diamond Miller needing knee surgery again. She had knee surgery last offseason as well and just never looked 100% all year, the fact she needs another surgery has to be a big concern.

Top Bottom