Other B1G Non-conference Games 2023-24

In the final game of the triple play today, Indiana is getting stomped by Stanford at the half.

1699829432634.png

1699829492511.png

USC 83, Ohio State 74
UCLA 92, Purdue 49
Iowa 80, Virginia Tech 76
South Carolina 114, Maryland 76
Auburn 76, Rutgers 56
Stanford 96, Indiana 64

wow .. Maryland and Indiana both go down big. Not a great showing for the BIG10.

AP Poll 11-13-23

Big Ten Teams Crash (Except Iowa)

Future Southern Cal Teams Rise After Beating Current Big Ten Teams

Iowa up 1.

UCLA up 1 after obliterating Purdue.

USC zooms up 11 after beating strong Ohio State.

Ohio State drops 6.

Indiana plunges 9 after Stanford slaughter.

Maryland drops 6 after South Carolina smashing.

Illinois falls at least 3, from 23 to unranked after Marquette mowed down.

The Badgers (3-0) scored a scrambling layup with ,8 seconds remaining to defeat South Dakota State 66-64 in Madison. SDSU, because of injurires, had eight players available

1700138593767.png

Huge game for both teams (on FS1), but especially Connecticut that lost to underdog University of North Carolina State. Maryland needs to look close after getting trounced by South Carolina.

Azzi Fudd, Paige Bueckers will lead Connecticut against Maryland
Connecticut faces Maryland on Thursday night as its stars try to regain their form after an injury-clouded campaign last season:

Geno Auriemma: "A big game for a lot of reasons. Like I told the players, the average fan might be obsessed with winning or losing, I said, but in the middle of November I'm not obsessed with winning or losing. If I was, we wouldn't be playing the schedule we're playing in November in December. It's not about winning and losing at this time of the year, it's only about winning or losing in March. Right now it's more about setting tones, getting an identity for your team, developing good game habits, showing that - hey - the things that we cover actually have come out. The disappointing part of the game [loss to NC State] is that so many of the things we spent so much time on really let us down. And that was the most difficult thing to deal with."

LSU Angel Reese benched in 2nd quarter.

I don't know why. She has produced. Something around not following a plan, mumblings maybe.

I watched the first half while sick and Kent State was putting her in the PnR every time down the floor and she was getting totally roasted. Giving up tons of pick and pop wide open 3’s that Kent State was making in the first half. She looked totally gassed and wasn’t recovering to her player at all, or maybe just a lack of effort but honestly looked more like tired than anything to me. Could be its own little story there I guess on why that’s the case.

And in quarter two, Paige Bueckers came alive.
1700180958548.png

1700185210832.png

Game stats at:

Big night for Paige Bueckers:

-24 points; 10-of-15 field goals; 2-of-3 3-pointers

-6 steals, 2 blocks, 4 rebounds

Maryland was able to get a back-to-back schedule against probably the two best teams in the NCAA. But Brenda Frese would have fared better with last year's team with Diamond Miller and Abby Meyers who graduated onto the WNBA.

Right now it looks like Iowa with Caitlin Clark may be the one team in the Big Ten that can play with the top four. Maybe.

Speaking of which...

Up next tonight, game two of the double bill.

1700185468782.png

Strange officiating late in the 3rd quarter. Four phantom fouls against Kansas State. Then Iowa does not get a shot off, shot clock violation, no score. Officials review the call with 4 seconds left and confirm shot clock ran out, and then they say it's the end of the quarter despite K-state's ball with 4 seconds left -- unless I understand that incorrectly.

1700190491156.png

#2 Iowa Falls to Unranked Kansas State (27th in poll votes)

1700192680102.png

Iowa's offense.. is Clark.. then four question marks.. imho.. who will show up on a consistent basis for them.. that will be the question for them all season long, and especially in the B1G season.

clark 32 of the 61 shots tonight.. nobody had more then 6+ shots. Hannah had 6

Iowa's offense.. is Clark.. then four question marks.. imho.. who will show up on a consistent basis for them.. that will be the question for them all season long, and especially in the B1G season.

clark 32 of the 61 shots tonight.. nobody had more then 6+ shots. Hannah had 6
You can't win at this level when one player takes half your shots. Marshall, Martin, Davis, and Feuerbach can all shoot and they were open. Clark was 9/32 and 2/16. Sometimes the coach has to step in.

I watched the first half while sick and Kent State was putting her in the PnR every time down the floor and she was getting totally roasted. Giving up tons of pick and pop wide open 3’s that Kent State was making in the first half. She looked totally gassed and wasn’t recovering to her player at all, or maybe just a lack of effort but honestly looked more like tired than anything to me. Could be its own little story there I guess on why that’s the case.

Trending...

Reactions: fej

#2 Iowa Falls to Unranked Kansas State (27th in poll votes)

View attachment 28302

Trending.

"As Caitlin Clark goes, so goes No. 2 Iowa... 9 of 32 from the floor."

"No. 2 Iowa became the latest top 5 team to fall in an upset on Thursday.

This time, it was the Hawkeyes losing to unranked Kansas State in a brutal game for defending Wooden Award winner Caitlin Clark."

Trending.

Indiana women’s basketball faced a major test Nov. 12 in the form of then-No. 15 Stanford University and, according to head coach Teri Moren it was a “'old-fashioned' butt-kicking"...   One player looking to have a bounce back game is graduate student forward Mackenzie Holmes. The AP Preseason All-American had a major task against Stanford in matching up with senior forward Cameron Brink. As a result, Holmes produced just 8 points and two rebounds, all of which came in the second half."

Cameron Brink Against Indiana (Sara Scalia in shot?)
1700252069553.png

Last edited:

Trending.

"“Ohio State plays a lot the way we want to play, with that relentlessness,” BC head coach Joanna Bernabei-McNamee said.

The Eagles (2–2), facing an overwhelming full-court press all game, turned the ball over a season-high 20 times en route to a 88–66 loss to No. 13 (2–1) Ohio State on Thursday. Fifteen of BC’s turnovers occurred in the first half alone."

Iowa bounced back to beat Drake 113 to 90 at Carver.
Wisconsin lost at K St by 18
Indiana won by 33 over Lipscomb
Maryland playing at home snuck by Syracuse by 2 points
Nebraska at home lost to #22 Creighton by 5
Michigan St bullied Evansville by 56
Michigan won by 18 over South Dakota
NW beat SE Missouri St by 8

Carly Thibault wins again at Rutgers. Her Fairfield Stags took down the Scarlet Knights 78-54. Fairfield blitzed Rutgers 34-14 in a first quarter featuring an 18-0 run and 8 three pointers
Coquese Washington as a coach is an enigma. 4 really good seasons with the great Maggie Lucas, but otherwise 9 poor seasons as a Big Ten Head Coach.

Thanksgiving game action. #19 Tennessee faces Big Ten #21 Indiana. Former Gophers Jasmine Powell and Sara Scalia face each other.

1700620899539.png

Powell missed her last game due to injury.

Senior point guard Jasmine Powell, who wore a brace on her right hand, and sophomore guard Avery Strickland were not dressed to play...

Powell has played significant minutes to start the season and has been Tennessee's best on-ball defender. Powell is averaging 10.3 points, three rebounds and 2.3 assists this season. Strickland has played limited minutes off the bench.

On Monday, Indiana's senior guard Sara Scalia won Big Ten Player of the Week honors.

Scalia, in her second season at Indiana after transferring from Minnesota, averaged 23 points, five rebounds and four assists in Indiana's wins over Murray State and Lipscomb. Across the two games, the Stillwater, Minnesota native had an assist-to-turnover ratio of plus-eight. Scalia shot 50% from the field and 54% from 3-point range.

In the first game of the week against Murray State, Scalia scored 22 points, grabbed four rebounds and dished out three assists. In the Indiana's second contest of the week against Lipscomb, Scalia put up 24 points while going 5-7 from distance.

This is the second Big Ten Player of the Week award Scalia has won in her collegiate career. She also won the award during her junior season at Minnesota.

Freshman phenom JuJu Watkins of USC hits a buzzer beater from beyond half court, against Penn State.

USC edged Penn State 71-70

Is Penn State a team to watch?

Maryland loses to Washington State 87-67.

“We’re still trying to figure it out…on the offensive end. The ball isn’t moving… the consistency factor isn’t there yet. The experience and the waves that Washington State has impacted us greatly. Giving up 87 points is way too many.”

-Brenda Frese, Maryland coach

1700779148292.png

Game video highlights / lowlights:

Six of the Cougars eight scorers finished in double figures as WSU improved to 6-0 for the first time since the 1978-79 season when the team opened the year 10-0.

Senior Center Bella Murekatete tallied four blocks, pushing her to 159 in her career to become the new program leader in career blocks, surpassing Carly Noyes who had 158 (2010-13). Murekatete added a team-high 17 points, going 8-of-10 from the field, and six rebounds.

Top Bottom