Other B1G Conference Games 2022-23

Illinois up 11 at half against Iowa...

umm Shauna Green is a miracle worker it seems..

CHAMPAIGN, Ill. - For the first time since 2010, Illinois Women's Basketball has received votes in the Women's Basketball Coaches Association (WBCA) Coaches Poll. Now out to an 11-2 start under Shauna Green, the Illini continue to turn heads with their resurgent play.

The last time the Fighting Illini appeared in the top-25 was Nov. 27, 2000, when the team was ranked 24th in the AP poll.

BIG is gonna be rough this year. It’s gonna be hard for Gophers to move up. I think Illinois, Penn St., MSU, Purdue are all better than advertised at the beginning of the season. Wouldn’t be shocked to see 8 teams make it into the tournament that is if ESPN allows it. Yes that’s me being snarky about ESPN love affair with the SEC

Perennial BIG doormat Illinois is no more. Watched them for the first time this year yesterday and I was impressed. Very quick build with what looks to be a good coaching hire and a couple of solid pickups in the transfer portal. I was really impressed by the post Bostic. I'm hoping the Gophers can get similar post play from Hart next year.

BIG is gonna be rough this year. It’s gonna be hard for Gophers to move up. I think Illinois, Penn St., MSU, Purdue are all better than advertised at the beginning of the season. Wouldn’t be shocked to see 8 teams make it into the tournament that is if ESPN allows it. Yes that’s me being snarky about ESPN love affair with the SEC
According to Charle Crème’s latest Bracketology, I wasn’t too far off as he is projecting 9 BIG teams in the tourney, more than any other conference including the SEC. tough year for the baby Gophers to grow up but a great learning opportunity as well.

At the half in New Jersey Rutgers leads Nebraska 30-20 on BTN. The Huskers are 0-14 or 0-15 from three (depending on which stats you see). The Scarlett Knights are 4-10 from behind the arc and have held Jaz Shelley scoreless.

Rutgers (1-4) finishes the job with a 57-45 win over Nebraska (2-3). The Scarlet Knights have a B1G Freshman of the Year contender, or leader, in wing Kaylene Smikle who has moved into the starting lineup and today posted her 7th, twenty + point game with 20 points and 6 rebounds. Braun and Smikle should be a fun matchup.

Penn State (2-3) defeated Purdue (2-3) in Happy Valley 70-60. The Lady Lions, save for a few late game hiccups, controlled the play. Watching Penn State on one screen and Rutgers on another led to some disorienting moments.

This isn't Big Ten news but I'm not sure where else to post this WBB news.

"The Big East game between No. 5 UConn and DePaul on Sunday at Gampel Pavilion in Storrs, Connecticut, has been postponed because the Huskies don't have enough healthy players available to suit up, the conference said Friday." END QUOTE

I previously posted that I didn't know why UConn only carries 12 players on the roster. Last season it was 12. The season before it was 12. This season it is 12. It doesn't seem right that a school can gamble with only signing 12 players and then get to cancel a game when they don't have enough players to play.

On BTN+ at the half the Illini lead the Buckeyes in Columbus 47-37

Game tied after 3rd and headed to 4th. (typo last post edited)

Illinois with the best start in program history at 14-2.

1673205101834.png

Markira Cook is a junior who last season won most improved player while at Dayton, a transfer player.

Genesis Bryant is a junior transfer from North Carolina State.

Adalia McKenzie is sophomore from Park Center High School Minnesota.

Brynn Shoup-Hill is a sophomore transfer from Dayton.

Dendall Bostic is a junior who was the only player to start all games last year and named All-Big Ten Honorable Mention.

Illinois has a full week off before the next game against Minnesota.

1673205686635.png

Last edited:

At the end of three the Illini and Buckeyes are tied at 65. Illinois opened a 57-40 lead early in the third before the Buckeyes went on a 21-3 run

At the end of three the Illini and Buckeyes are tied at 65. Illinois opened a 57-40 lead early in the third before the Buckeyes went on a 21-3 run
Im really curious why Ohio State didnt press at all until they got down 17

Just now... Taylor Mikesell with a 3 pointers to pull Ohio State ahead by 6. Then as Illinois moved up the court the Ohio State thief defense moves in and Mikesell steals the ball for another rapid score.

1673206169819.png

1673206396586.png

1673206419705.png

1673206449881.png

Whalen delivered a coaching masterpiece last game against Ohio State to neutralize the OSU defense. Minnesota only had 16 turnovers, fewer than Ohio State!

Just the week before, Ohio State beat ranked Michigan with 27 turnovers.

If Ohio State didn't press to start this game it's because Whalen gave out the playbook on how to beat the OSU defense.

87-81 Ohio State remains undefeated. Mikesell with 31 and McMahon with 22 for the Buckyes. Bostick with 25 for the Illini.

Grace Berger is back for Indiana today, Scalia off the bench.

Iowa WBB’s victory over Michigan WBB scored 564,000 viewers on FOX, the most-watched women’s hoops game in the Big Ten conference on any network since 2016.

Saturday’s matchup was the 4th most-watched regular season women’s college hoops game on any net so far this season.

Badgers on a win streak as Wisconsin (2-4) defeated Michigan State (2-4) 84-80 in overtime. Badgers were led by freshman post Serah Williams who finished with 31 points and 13 rebounds before fouling out with :08 seconds remaining. Williams was 13-16 from the floor. The Spartans overcame their lethargy mid way through the fourth quarter to get the game tied at 70 at the end of regulation. But Williams was too much to handle

Wisconsin's Williams is one of the better freshman in the conference. I'd place OSU's McMahon and Rutgers Schmikel in the same category. Not sure if the BIG names an all freshman team. If they do, it will be interesting to see if any Gophers earn this honor. Still too early to tell, of course. Will be interesting to see how our freshman progress between now and the end of the year and how the team itself progresses.

Iowa is down 31-32 at halftime against Michigan State :oops:

Tied at 70 and heading to overtime.

Last edited:

Iowa is down 31-32 at halftime against Michigan State :oops:

Tied at 70 and heading to overtime.
Iowa prevailed 84-81; but the Spartans could've won in OT. With 5 seconds remaining and the Hawkeyes leading 82-79 Caitlin Clark was called for an intentional foul before the ball was inbounded. Kamaria McDaniel made both free throws and MSU inbounded the ball trailing 82-81. But McDaniel drove the baseline and was called for traveling. Molly Davis made two free throws to seal the win for Iowa.

Top Bottom