OT: Head Injuries

JasonBourne21

Reaction score
I got word this AM, that my cousin's son was found dead after a blow he possibly suffered from last night's game. With all the cases of athletes facing devistating head injuries, I wish more could be done to prevent these tragic outcomes.

Shanley student found dead overnight at home
UPDATED 2:20 p.m.

FARGO – Police have released the name of a 16-year-old Shanley High School sophomore who was found dead in his home overnight.

The student, Nicholas Lee Bailey of Fargo, was involved in a hit during a football game Monday, but it’s not known if it contributed to his death, Sgt. Mark Lykken said.

Bailey was an offensive and defensive lineman for the Deacons’ junior varsity team, which played Grand Forks Central on Monday in Fargo, Shanley head coach Steve Laqua said.

According to the officer’s report, Bailey’s mother told police he had talked about a “big hit” he made on the other team during the game, Lykken said.

Bailey’s mother told police her son went to bed about 10:30 p.m., Lykken said.

Fargo police and F-M Ambulance responded to a report of a boy not breathing in his room at 2:40 a.m. today in the 1700 block of 10th Street South.

Foul play is not suspected in the boy’s death, Lykken said.

The body was sent to Bismarck for an autopsy. Preliminary results are expected within a few days, Lykken said.

Shanley made counselors available to students and canceled all athletic and academic activities today out of respect for Bailey, said Kyle Edgerton, superintendent of the Fargo Catholic Schools Network.

Edgerton said he spoke with Bailey’s family this morning, and they were doing “how any family would be doing at this time.”

“I’m a parent myself. I can’t imagine, I just can’t imagine, where they’re coming from,” he said. “If I couldn’t put my superintendent face on, I’d probably be crying with them, you know. This could be any one of us. It’s very hard.”

Shanley held a Mass this morning in honor of Bailey, Edgerton said.

Laqua described Bailey as a “great competitor” who spent the summer in the weight room and had coaches excited about his progress and potential as a varsity player.

“He really conducted himself with a quiet confidence about him and a tremendous inner drive to reach his potential and to be the best that he could be,” Laqua said.

Shanley’s varsity squad is scheduled to play Wahpeton on Friday. Laqua said he was unsure about the status of the game.

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. I'm from Fargo myself, that's horrible news.

This is a terrible thing. I can't imagine having this happen. It seems to be happening more and more. I wonder why. Kids getting bigger and faster maybe.

I wonder what prompted them to check on him at 2:30 in the AM.

Very tragic. I am sorry for the loss in your family...

Thoughts and prayers with the family. Thats terrible

I'm really sorry to hear this.

Anyone know anything about the condition of high school equipment (i.e. helmets)? I never played organized football, and I was always curious as to how often battered equipment got replaced. It's the first thing that came to my mind when I read this story, mainly because college and pro football seem to have significant budgets, and high schools haven't traditionally gotten much public funding.

Also, are high school sports independent from their school's budget?

If a person is suffering from concussion symptoms you are suppose to go wake them up every couple hours, and as far as the helmets are concerned I obviously can not say how good his schools helmets are, but when I played High School ball in a small town with a small budget we still had top of the line helmets.

Prayers for the family.

I am very sorry to hear this tragic news, my thoughts and prayers are with your family.

My prayers are with you and the boy's family.

Top Bottom