OT: Bryce Brown

Not a good choice. Being drafted highly is critical to getting a fair shake in the NFL.

This is another kid that is questioned to have difficulty getting into school, so this wouldn't surprise me. He is a beast tho.

Where are you finding this on ESPN? Link? I tried to snoop around there just now and didn't find any story on Brown from the past two weeks, but I could just be old and broken.

Brown won some POY honors nationally and is (perhaps was) an incredible recruit. It did sound as if there were some academic questions around him. If he opts for the CFL, he'll become a case study, similar to Brandon Jennings, for others in his shoes.

First of all, will a CFL team sign him? I'm guessing yes, if for nothing else, to create a little media buzz about signing arguably the top prep talent from the US. If not, everything below is moot.

If he does sign and, like Jennings, he struggles to see playing time and puts up underwhelming statistics, it will serve notice to players that junior college to Division One is still a better route to the NFL than going abroad. If Brown finds himself overmatched in the CFL and buried on depth charts, he could quickly see a promising future become a struggle to get into the NFL.

Perhaps more interesting though, if Brown succeeds in the CFL, especially in his first season, will it become en vogue for high-level recruits (5*s, maybe 4*s) with academic problems to begin looking to go to the CFL and get paid for a few years instead of staying stateside and working back toward D1 football? What would this do for college football moving forward?

Isn't Jennings still predicted to go first round in the draft? Last month's mock drafts had him in the top 15, but I'm too lazy to search any more current projections.

Heard on Outside the Lines today reported by John Saunders. Saunders said Brown is weighing his options which I took to mean that he is waiting for test results to come back.

As for Jennings here is a report from the NY Times on the state of his European season

“I’ve gotten paid on time once this year,” Jennings said in an e-mail message. “They treat me like I’m a little kid. They don’t see me as a man. If you get on a good team, you might not play a lot. Some nights you’ll play a lot; some nights you won’t play at all. That’s just how it is.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/24/sports/basketball/24recruit.html

He might get drafted high but he hasn't had the exposure that college basketball gives you. Fame in college basketball leads to endorsements in the NBA, same goes for the NFL

Maybe he still is Wade. I'm not sure to be honest. All I know for sure was the report that came out with all the sensational quotes from him about how they treat him like a kid (which he is, relatively speaking), some nights he doesn't play at all, he doesn't usually get paid on time, and his stats were barely existent (like 3 ppg IIRC).

But, I suppose if you had the potential to be the #1 recruit in the country last year, there has to be enough potential to still be a lottery pick in the NBA. The major difference here is that Brown will have to play more than one year abroad before being eligible for the NFL draft. More time could be good or bad, I'm not sure.

This is the kid who has an agent. If you read the story, you'll notice the agent wants a 3 year $5 mil contract. The highest paid player in the CFL is currently getting $600k.

I hope Bryce has a rich family, because this clown is going to ruin his opportunity to play football, if he hasn't already.

Maybe he still is Wade. I'm not sure to be honest. All I know for sure was the report that came out with all the sensational quotes from him about how they treat him like a kid (which he is, relatively speaking), some nights he doesn't play at all, he doesn't usually get paid on time, and his stats were barely existent (like 3 ppg IIRC).

But, I suppose if you had the potential to be the #1 recruit in the country last year, there has to be enough potential to still be a lottery pick in the NBA. The major difference here is that Brown will have to play more than one year abroad before being eligible for the NFL draft. More time could be good or bad, I'm not sure.

Agree about the NBA. Raw talent can get you by for a bit in the NBA. I've seen it with players like Kevin Durant who were really small but had a lot of talent when they came into the league and have developed into really good players.

The difference is the NFL is such a harder league to succeed in. Players are bigger and faster and natural talent does not get a player by.

Agree about the NBA. Raw talent can get you by for a bit in the NBA. I've seen it with players like Kevin Durant who were really small but had a lot of talent when they came into the league and have developed into really good players.

The difference is the NFL is such a harder league to succeed in. Players are bigger and faster and natural talent does not get a player by.

Yes, this is true believe it or not. This kid somehow had Purdue in his final five but never made an official visit. In fact, he was a no-show twice. Why Danny Hope even talked to this kid amazes me. He never would've been admitted to Purdue and he was committed to Miami anyways. I guess Hope is willing to roll the dice with at-risk players to jump start the program.

Top Bottom