OT: Alvarez Retiring

A lot of people forget that Richter was/is an athletic demi-god in Wisconsin in the way Paul Giel was in Minnesota. Richter obviously had more success in building the founation at Wisconsin than Giel did here, but they both came into the job in the same way: Homestate idol makes good.
Shalala came into the uw and told the academics to fall in line with athletics. It made all of the difference.

Troy Vincent seems to be a fan favorite because the assistant AD, the choice of Alvarez, has failed to meet expectations.

Shalala came into the uw and told the academics to fall in line with athletics. It made all of the difference.
Spaulding gets it. A buddy of mine, originally from the Edina/Wayzata area, was a professor at UW during the '90's and early 2000's. Although he has his differences with Shalala politically, he gives her all the credit for the Richter/Alvarez hires and succeeding athletic success. Prior to Shalala, he says there was a certain pride among the "academic class" in Madison that sucking at athletics somehow raised the university's academic reputation. They liked being considered in the same league as Northwestern at that time - great academics and poor athletics. Shalala convinced the Board of Regents and academic lobby that strong athletic teams begets large donations, free advertising, school spirit among both students and alums, etc.

There was a huge building boom during the 2010's on and around campus, with some locals calling it "the town that Barry built". My friend always reminds them it wouldn't have happened without Shalala.

We need more of that kind of vision around here, although recent spending on athletic facilities seems to show we are trending in the right direction.

Spaulding gets it. A buddy of mine, originally from the Edina/Wayzata area, was a professor at UW during the '90's and early 2000's. Although he has his differences with Shalala politically, he gives her all the credit for the Richter/Alvarez hires and succeeding athletic success. Prior to Shalala, he says there was a certain pride among the "academic class" in Madison that sucking at athletics somehow raised the university's academic reputation. They liked being considered in the same league as Northwestern at that time - great academics and poor athletics. Shalala convinced the Board of Regents and academic lobby that strong athletic teams begets large donations, free advertising, school spirit among both students and alums, etc.

There was a huge building boom during the 2010's on and around campus, with some locals calling it "the town that Barry built". My friend always reminds them it wouldn't have happened without Shalala.

We need more of that kind of vision around here, although recent spending on athletic facilities seems to show we are trending in the right direction.
If you've been to campus over the last 10+ years, there has been a lot of buildings going up, especially around TCF, and being remodeled and expanded.

If you've been to campus over the last 10+ years, there has been a lot of buildings going up, especially around TCF, and being remodeled and expanded.
Maybe Barry built that too?

Those buildings, stretching from the stadium area to I-35W, are almost exclusively apartments.

Stack four kids into a two bedroom apartment, charge them a crapload of money, profit.

EVERY Big Ten head coach and AD has some kind tomfoolery like this. NBD!
I refuse to believe Joel "I shower in my swim trunks in case the wind blows the door open" Maturi has engaged in any such tomfoolery. I have therefore edited your post:
EVERY successful Big Ten head coach and AD has some kind tomfoolery like this. NBD!

Those buildings, stretching from the stadium area to I-35W, are almost exclusively apartments.

Stack four kids into a two bedroom apartment, charge them a crapload of money, profit.
I was not talking about those, strictly U buildings. Many have gone up north of TCF between it and the railroad tracks.

I was not talking about those, strictly U buildings. Many have gone up north of TCF between it and the railroad tracks.
Good point, definitely yes those. There is also the new surgery/clinic building right to the left if when you come in on Huron, and they’re finishing up a new medical building over by Moos.

Top Bottom