OSU Vs. Michigan - who do you want to see win tonight?

QFT. I always read about Beilein being a great coach, but I really don't see him do much other than put superior players out there and just let them have at it.

Agreed, Tubby's players would also probably be very well coached if we had Trey Burke running the point and a couple of 5-star freshmen forwards on the court. For all the complaints about Tubby's coaching, we compete pretty well against teams that, at least on paper, are much more talented than we are.

QFT. I always read about Beilein being a great coach, but I really don't see him do much other than put superior players out there and just let them have at it.

He also struggled with some damn good talent in his first years with Michigan. Harris, Sims and Morris were very good players.

Michigan wins, a lot of contact as Craft was driving to put up a game-tying layup, no whistle.

Does it ever seem like the officials allow more contact than usual on crucial shots at the end of games? I feel like when we played Michigan State at the Barn back in 2010, a game we lost by 1, we had a guy get mugged taking the last shot and there was no call.

B1G refs at their finest in that one.

It was a flagrant 1 before that and they decided to let the time in the game dictate the call.

Samantha speaks better than her husband.

She was talking?

Absolutely hate when refs in any sports call things differently in critical times. If it's a foul or penalty in the first half, it's a foul or penalty at the end too.

Gonna be a fun 2nd half and tourney in the Big Ten.

Tell me again, why do we have these conference tournaments.?

Ohio State played a great game on the road. Tough loss and I agree that was a foul. Also agree that the neon highlighter uniforms for Michigan were brutal.

So will college basketball unis go the way of the football unis? Who will be the first team to mix and match jerseys and shorts?

Going to need a lot of combos for all those games.

It was a flagrant 1 before that and they decided to let the time in the game dictate the call.

But at least that was a judgement call. A foul is a foul. Send the man to the line. He can't shoot when both of his forearms get smacked.

Agreed, Tubby's players would also probably be very well coached if we had Trey Burke running the point and a couple of 5-star freshmen forwards on the court. For all the complaints about Tubby's coaching, we compete pretty well against teams that, at least on paper, are much more talented than we are.

Tubby is responsible for his recruiting. We were better than Michigan early in Tubby/Beilein's tenures, but Beilein hit the recruiting trail hard and Tubby....
Recruiting is a HUGE part of being the head coach of a major division one program.

Great game between these two teams, really impressed with Ohio State continuing to battle in that game despite Michigan seemingly making every 3 they attempted. As for the calls at the end of the game: Craft committed a flagrant one by the rule book, I HATE that rule, but it should have been called. I also hate the rule that a player with the ball can be called for a flagrant foul with his elbow...but if that call exists on the offense you have to make that contact to the head call against the defense. Craft was also fouled on the last second layup attempt. I agree with GophersinIowa in that you should call the game the same way from the tip to the final buzzer. In this case, both teams got a break so it evened out.

Tubby is responsible for his recruiting. We were better than Michigan early in Tubby/Beilein's tenures, but Beilein hit the recruiting trail hard and Tubby....
Recruiting is a HUGE part of being the head coach of a major division one program.

Great game between these two teams, really impressed with Ohio State continuing to battle in that game despite Michigan seemingly making every 3 they attempted. As for the calls at the end of the game: Craft committed a flagrant one by the rule book, I HATE that rule, but it should have been called. I also hate the rule that a player with the ball can be called for a flagrant foul with his elbow...but if that call exists on the offense you have to make that contact to the head call against the defense. Craft was also fouled on the last second layup attempt. I agree with GophersinIowa in that you should call the game the same way from the tip to the final buzzer. In this case, both teams got a break so it evened out.
Yes 5 star recruits are just lining up to play at the Barn when its freezing outside. Not to mention Michigan is Michigan and they have a practice facility. You really think if Beilein was at Minnesota Glenn Robinson would be playing here?

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-basketball/a-look-inside-michigan-basketballs-new-crown-jewel-the-player-development-center/

Yes 5 star recruits are just lining up to play at the Barn when its freezing outside. Not to mention Michigan is Michigan and they have a practice facility. You really think if Beilein was at Minnesota Glenn Robinson would be playing here?

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/um-basketball/a-look-inside-michigan-basketballs-new-crown-jewel-the-player-development-center/

Michigan had not had any success in a long time...Tubby's name was supposed to attract bigger name recruits. The cold in Minneapolis is now a bigger deal than the cold in Ann Arbor? Honestly, the excuses never stop with some people. The practice facility is an issue, I agree with you there. That said, it's tough to get big money donors to line up when you are coming off back to back 6-12 seasons in conference play.

Michigan had not had any success in a long time...Tubby's name was supposed to attract bigger name recruits. The cold in Minneapolis is now a bigger deal than the cold in Ann Arbor? Honestly, the excuses never stop with some people. The practice facility is an issue, I agree with you there. That said, it's tough to get big money donors to line up when you are coming off back to back 6-12 seasons in conference play.
Why are you ignoring injuries lol? Answer my question so Glenn Robinson would be here if Beilein was the coach?

Well, we HAD a 5-star recruit at one point...

And honestly, I am happy with Tubby's fall recruiting, I love having guys like Dre, Joe, Austin, Rodney, Mbakwe, Elliot etc. on the team. A plethora of late transfers have left us in sticky situations and scrambling for recruits that we didn't know we needed until after most of the good ones have been taken.

As for the thing about the cold, I agree that it shouldn't be a big difference, but I feel like we get stuck with the whole "frozen tundra" perception more than Michigan, Michigan State, or Wisconsin do.

Most of Michigan gets down to about 20 degrees in the winter. A far cry from -10.

The thing about basketball is that one player can make a coach look like a genius more so than in other sports. Trey Burke was a good prospect coming out of high school, but nothing extremely special. He was ranked as the #26 PG in the country. Yet he could have been a first round draft pick after his freshman year.
Does Beilein deserve some of the credit for signing Burke? Probably
Does Beilein deserve some of the credit for "coaching up" Burke? Probably
Did Beilein and Michigan just get a little lucky with Burke (meaning he is much better than even they expected)? Probably

Great game between these two teams, really impressed with Ohio State continuing to battle in that game despite Michigan seemingly making every 3 they attempted. As for the calls at the end of the game: Craft committed a flagrant one by the rule book, I HATE that rule, but it should have been called. I also hate the rule that a player with the ball can be called for a flagrant foul with his elbow...but if that call exists on the offense you have to make that contact to the head call against the defense. Craft was also fouled on the last second layup attempt.

Agree, especially about the flagrant one. I hate the rule but by the books, it should have been called.

Agree, especially about the flagrant one. I hate the rule but by the books, it should have been called.

Yep, I hate the rule, too. I have no doubt the reason they didn't send Craft to the line after he clearly got hacked was because the refs knew they gave OSU a break by not calling the flagrant on Craft. I think that was the right thing to do, and it evened out when they called nothing on Craft's drive to the bucket.

Yep, I hate the rule, too. I have no doubt the reason they didn't send Craft to the line after he clearly got hacked was because the refs knew they gave OSU a break by not calling the flagrant on Craft. I think that was the right thing to do, and it evened out when they called nothing on Craft's drive to the bucket.

The ball went off of Craft on his steal as well.. Boy, Craft sure was brutal on the offensive end at the end. Three key misses.

Well it takes a great coach to get those superior players there in the first place. Beilein runs an offense that suits those players and allows them all to thrive. Who ever thought Stauskas was going to be this good? I commend their recruiting.

Most of Michigan gets down to about 20 degrees in the winter. A far cry from -10.

Average high for Minneapolis: Dec - 27, Jan - 24, Feb - 29. All other months over 40.
Average high for Ann Arbor: Dec - 35, Jan - 31, Feb - 35. All other months over 40.
Average high for Ann Arbor: Dec - 35, Jan - 30, Feb - 34. All other months over 40.

One significant data point you omit or didn't know. Two years ago, Beilein cleaned house on his staff. He canned a couple of his guys who had been with him for a while and then hired coaches who were familiar with the Michigan basketball scene to recruit. When he did that, the recruiting turned around. If anything, the difference between the two is that Beilein saw something that wasn't working and took a risk to fix it and the risk worked. Tubby could use an upgrade in his staff for offense and recruiting, but appears unwillng to pull the trigger.

Top Bottom