Oregon, Washington ‘Vetted and Cleared’ to Join Big Ten: Brett McMurphy

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Does it feel like the calm before another conference realignment storm? Well, that just might be the case.

A new report from Brett McMurphy says that the Big Ten Conference may be closer than expected to adding two more Pac-12 teams.

The Oregon Ducks and Washington Huskies have reportedly been “vetted” and “cleared” by the Big Ten. While rumors of the conference’s interest in adding the two Pacific Northwest schools have been floating around for months, this is another step in that direction from one of college football’s most credible reporters.

McMurphy said in an interview with 365 Sportsthat they are “ready for takeoff,” if things progress in that direction. “It’s just a question of when, or if, the Big Ten want to add those schools,” McMurphy stated.”

“I’m told that the Big Ten and FOX do not want to have blood on their hands for being the reason the Pac-12 blew up. In a way, they’re sitting back and waiting to see what happens with Colorado or Arizona. If they leave for the Big 12, that opens the flood gates,” McMurphy added.

Go Gophers!!

I have no idea who Brett Murphy is but if the BIG were interested in the two above teams they would have been invited before the massive and complicated TV contracts were signed.

this all revolves around the Pac-12 media deal.

B1G teams are scheduled to receive $80 to $100-million per school per year under new media deals starting in 2024.
SEC deal - $68-million per school per year
Big 12 - new deal just under $32-million per school per year
ACC - $20-million per school per year (ACC tied into a long Grant of Rights.....)

Pac-12 is currently trying to negotiate a new deal. old deal was $21-million per school per year.

there are some media outlets claiming that the new Pac-12 deal will come in close to their current deal - in the $20 to $25-million range.

So - if you are Oregon or Washington - would you rather receive $20-million in the Pac-12 or $80-million in the B1G? another $60-million a year looks awfully nice on the balance sheet.

most reports indicate that the Pac-12 bigwigs want to keep the conference together - but if the new media deal only comes in at $20-million per school, then you could see schools begin to bolt. Colorado and Arizona are rumored to be talking to the Big-12 about a move.

as the article in the OP notes, the B1G does not want to be seen as 'breaking up' the Pac-12, so the B1G is allegedly waiting to see what happens with the media deal. but, if other schools leave the Pac-12, it has been strongly suggested that Oregon and Washington are likely candidates to join the B1G.

this all revolves around the Pac-12 media deal.

B1G teams are scheduled to receive $80 to $100-million per school per year under new media deals starting in 2024.
SEC deal - $68-million per school per year
Big 12 - new deal just under $32-million per school per year
ACC - $20-million per school per year (ACC tied into a long Grant of Rights.....)

Pac-12 is currently trying to negotiate a new deal. old deal was $21-million per school per year.

there are some media outlets claiming that the new Pac-12 deal will come in close to their current deal - in the $20 to $25-million range.

So - if you are Oregon or Washington - would you rather receive $20-million in the Pac-12 or $80-million in the B1G? another $60-million a year looks awfully nice on the balance sheet.

most reports indicate that the Pac-12 bigwigs want to keep the conference together - but if the new media deal only comes in at $20-million per school, then you could see schools begin to bolt. Colorado and Arizona are rumored to be talking to the Big-12 about a move.

as the article in the OP notes, the B1G does not want to be seen as 'breaking up' the Pac-12, so the B1G is allegedly waiting to see what happens with the media deal. but, if other schools leave the Pac-12, it has been strongly suggested that Oregon and Washington are likely candidates to join the B1G.
Unreal, the B1G is at such an advantage financially from the tv rights there is no reason why Minnesota shouldn’t be able to get a top tier coach, and no reason why facilities should be a hindrance. I didn’t realize the discrepancy was that large. This just highlights that the problem is at the top.

I don't like this overall. But it reinforces my belief that we can easily pull Craig Smith or perhaps another PAC 12 coach if we move on from Ben. The PAC is going to be no better than the Mountain West in basketball.

Unreal, the B1G is at such an advantage financially from the tv rights there is no reason why Minnesota shouldn’t be able to get a top tier coach, and no reason why facilities should be a hindrance. I didn’t realize the discrepancy was that large. This just highlights that the problem is at the top.
Precisely.

Regardless our athletic department needs to turn it up a whole bunch of notches!

I don't like this overall. But it reinforces my belief that we can easily pull Craig Smith or perhaps another PAC 12 coach if we move on from Ben. The PAC is going to be no better than the Mountain West in basketball.
He won’t come for any amount of money. We are a BB coaches graveyard. Everyone knows that. Especially their agents. Pray Ben gets it done big time.

:sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

Same ol clickbait claptrap, when it comes to conference realignment.

They were vetted .... last summer!

The new Conference of Champions.....

He won’t come for any amount of money. We are a BB coaches graveyard. Everyone knows that. Especially their agents. Pray Ben gets it done big time.
We have immense talent. Multiple all B1G players. We're also a God awful job no one would want. You're all over the map.

We have immense talent. Multiple all B1G players. We're also a God awful job no one would want. You're all over the map.
Someday you may recognize the Johnson Basketball Renaissance of the Gophers. But that won’t be today.

A few things…
1) Lots of this will depend on Notre Dame. Target #1 for the B1G as well as other conferences.
2) The ACC is a big factor as well. If push came to shove I think the B1G would take North Carolina and Virginia over Washington and Oregon. That ACC grant of rights agreement seems pretty binding. But there is no way it lasts through 2036 as currently constructed. Would those schools be the first to try to break from it to join the B1G? I don’t know, but I’d bet a good amount of money that ACC grant of rights doesn’t hold up through 2036.
3) Washington makes a lot of sense, and Oregon (academics?) mostly makes sense in terms of creating a B1G pod (w USC and UCLA) in the west.
4) Stanford will be a big chip too in terms of the research dollars they’d bring. Cal may be a partner with them. I wonder if Stanford will go independent at some point during all of this.
5) The B1G is one of the two big dogs, so for the most part the B1G is in a position to let the chips fall and still make their choice, with the exception of any school joining the SEC. No need to rush.

A few things…
1) Lots of this will depend on Notre Dame. Target #1 for the B1G as well as other conferences.
2) The ACC is a big factor as well. If push came to shove I think the B1G would take North Carolina and Virginia over Washington and Oregon. That ACC grant of rights agreement seems pretty binding. But there is no way it lasts through 2036 as currently constructed. Would those schools be the first to try to break from it to join the B1G? I don’t know, but I’d bet a good amount of money that ACC grant of rights doesn’t hold up through 2036.
3) Washington makes a lot of sense, and Oregon (academics?) mostly makes sense in terms of creating a B1G pod (w USC and UCLA) in the west.
4) Stanford will be a big chip too in terms of the research dollars they’d bring. Cal may be a partner with them. I wonder if Stanford will go independent at some point during all of this.
5) The B1G is one of the two big dogs, so for the most part the B1G is in a position to let the chips fall and still make their choice, with the exception of any school joining the SEC. No need to rush.
#1 and #2 are really as far we need to consider in the near term future.

Go big and go to 20. Add Notre Dame, UVa, UNC and poach Mizzou from the SEC to assert dominance.
Could've had Mizzou and instead added Nebraska. Will be interesting looking back long term which was the right move.

Top Bottom